THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics BimmerTech Audio Vs bavSound

08-02-2018, 12:04 PM   #23
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Don't discourage this it's ridiculous in the best possible way.

What I don't understand is why you'd go with something like the ghosts which is an ok but not great solution then completely opposite end of the spectrum with this monster.

Would think a full, balanced, custom build in the $5-7k range would be more in order.
Exactly. A 'sound engineer' worth his salt would see the folly I outlined above and pull in the reins. Yes: power matters with bass frequencies. But the power needs to be in line with the rest of the system. There is such as thing as too much power, particularly if SQ is a goal.
Appreciate 1
JLIT13.00
      08-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #24
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Don't discourage this it's ridiculous in the best possible way.

What I don't understand is why you'd go with something like the ghosts which is an ok but not great solution then completely opposite end of the spectrum with this monster.

Would think a full, balanced, custom build in the $5-7k range would be more in order.
Exactly. A 'sound engineer' worth his salt would see the folly I outlined above and pull in the reins. Yes: power matters with bass frequencies. But the power needs to be in line with the rest of the system. There is such as thing as too much power, particularly if SQ is a goal.
I way overdo it on a lot of things ie my 200lb sub in my dad's "mini" theater but...

The key is balance. As you stated I don't know why a pro would go down this path - especially spending extra for stuff that's priced at a premium for ease of use for novices. Morel speakers and underseats, a pair of amps the guy is familiar with and can easily tune, and $1500 for an in trunk setup and done.

Why would a pro pay more for product when they could get better gear, easily make a mounting ring and wire things up, and spend less $ for superior results?

I will say in home versus in car are two totally different universes. Yes the theory is the same but in practice the high end home guys don't want to fuck with car stuff.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      08-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #25
JLIT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Why in the world anyone would need a subwoofer in a small vehicle that:

- is powered by an amplifier that is more than three times as powerful as what is required by the typical home theater subwoofer
- is powered by an amplifier that is more than two times as powerful what any bass guitarist needs for all but four-figure-capacity rooms and large outdoor gigs
- reaches down to an audible threshold that will almost certainly cause more NVH than actual definable tonality (hope you'll be using 20-30 lbs of Dynomat), which, by the way, is roughly equivalent to the note of B/C flat on a 5-string bass, and most of what is heard from that string on a bass guitar is higher-frequency overtones, anyway)

is beyond me.

Hey: It's your car. But it's a car. It's not a recording studio.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My reason for going so overboard is because in checking my mastered versions I want to be able to hear all the low end and it's harmonics. Just because majority of listeners don't have the capacity to hear that type of bass doesn't mean it isn't heard IE: clubs, festivals. These types of house systems will pick apart a crap mastered track and that means no repeat clients. Is it completely overboard, hell yes. The ghosts have since been returned and the amp and speakers are next.

I agree with the posts responding that I may as well get a sufficient system to accompany that much power. I have used ample dynamat as well as well as found my cars baseline using a omnidirectional mic, pink noise, etc. I'll be upgrading to the Audison product line and will be relieved to have external processing control. Thanks for your input.
18x8.5 et35 VMR 803, Stoptech Trophy Series Front BBK, M4 LCA,KW V2, Seibon CF Hood, APR Gtc250, Agency harness bar, Corbeau A4 Raving Seats and 4pt Harnesses, P3 Display, XHP Stage 3, PR Coils -TTFS-XDI35 hpfp ~CaryJordan Tune Full E85~aFE Momentum GT, Stage 2.5 Walbro 535 LPFP, MPerfExhaust, Quad CF Sleeve Tips, custom quad cf rear diffuser, M2 Style Front bumper with lip. Avery Dark Grey Gloss Vinyl
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #26
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLIT View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My reason for going so overboard is because in checking my mastered versions I want to be able to hear all the low end and it's harmonics. Just because majority of listeners don't have the capacity to hear that type of bass doesn't mean it isn't heard IE: clubs, festivals. These types of house systems will pick apart a crap mastered track and that means no repeat clients. Is it completely overboard, hell yes. The ghosts have since been returned and the amp and speakers are next.

I agree with the posts responding that I may as well get a sufficient system to accompany that much power. I have used ample dynamat as well as well as found my cars baseline using a omnidirectional mic, pink noise, etc. I'll be upgrading to the Audison product line and will be relieved to have external processing control. Thanks for your input.
All fair enough points -- and I totally understand regarding checking root vs. harmonic frequencies in bass and sub-bass, depending on the recording. It's just that 1,600 watts is overkill in an enclosed space (the 2 Series cabin) that is no bigger than a small walk-in closet -- much less a bedroom, much less a living room, much less a small bar, much less a club with a capacity in the hundreds. That's power that, unless the drivers are selected properly, will be wasted and may not even power the drivers correctly.

In another life I was a music critic. When judging a recording I tried to listen to it in three different places -- home, headphones, car -- for several reasons, among them frequency variation and sound staging. One of the tests of a well mastered recording is there being little discernible difference between the three listening platforms IF they're all tuned similarly (in my case, flat across the spectrum) and not distorting -- from either too much power (by far the more common scenario) or too little power (less common but possible, especially in the setup you're planning).

I'm just supplying brevity. Just like in a car engine, the solution to be better (read: be quicker) is not always to 'add more power'. In fact, it's frequently not the solution, even when it seems like power makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #27
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
I do not recommend doing business with bavsound. Yes the speakers sound great but I don't like how they operate or treat their customers.

I have the bavsound speakers (full stage 1) on my hifi bmw and I also bought the bimmertech amplifier.

The tune bimmertech provided for my "hifi" system sounded like garbage. I have since had a friend (who is very knowledgeable in car audio and tuning) help me setup a baseline tune and it sounds much better. We have not even tweaked it yet but it still sounds worlds better than the tune provided by bimmertech.

Furthermore bavsound told me their speaker warranty is voided because I am using the bimmertech amp and that the speakers are not designed to handle that much power (yet they refuse to provide me any specifications on what they can handle despite multiple requests).

There is a thread I created but long story short they initially told me that I could buy the bimmertech amplifier no problem and the speakers could handle power just fine. Then the following weak, after I had already purchased unreturnable amplifier, when I ask them if they have a tune available a different support person says that the speakers cannot handle the amplifier and my warranty is void. This customer rep tells me the previous rep was "filling in for him" and incorrect.
Well bimmertech does not accept returns so what was I supposed to do with my $900?????
This is why I say dont do business with bavsound.
Hi tennisfreak,

I was browsing the forum today and found your post. I know it's a bit old, but I would like to talk to you about the tune and your experience with our amplifier. I will send you a PM.

I couldn't find any communication with you in our ticketing system, because I do not have your email address, so all I know is what I could read in this thread. I apologize for not meeting your expectations.

Generally, when we ship our amplifiers, we load a vehicle specific tune, which, in our opinion, should make your car audio system sound better than the stock system. I say "in our opinion", because what you can hear is very subjective.
If the car has upgraded speakers, we might not have a proper tune for each and every speaker setup.
There have also been a few cases when the amp did not have any tune when installed and sounded worse than the factory amp, but these could be a human error on our end or the tune could have been wiped when installing and setting up the amp.
Nevertheless, our amp can make any BMW HiFi system sound much better, but it has to be tuned to the taste of the listener.

I will not make any comments on what you said bavsound had told you regarding the compatibility of their speakers with our amp. I just hope it was some sort of misunderstanding.
I will also refrain myself from commenting opinions of other people, who seem to know "best".
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 01:14 AM   #28
Sagialkobi
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Came looking for guidance, but left more confused! Bavsound over Bimmertech? Stick to one brand for full set up vs. combining?
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2022, 12:53 PM   #29
vikas49251
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

namm

bmw
Appreciate 0