THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics How to update ID, maps, and add CarPlay w/o access to a PC (Only have an M1 Mac)

03-16-2022, 04:22 PM   #1
afxjzs
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i RWD 8spd

Question How to update ID, maps, and add CarPlay w/o access to a PC (Only have an M1 Mac)

hi all,

so i'm in a bit of an interesting situation and i'm pretty new to the F-series BMWs. I juuuuust bought a 2017 240i and the goal is to get the following installed into the car:
  • Latest iDrive version
  • CarPlay (w/ FullScreen) !most important
  • Latest Map versions

Challenge: I don't have a PC or easy access to one. I have an M1 MacBook and that's it. I'd prefer not to install Parallels and then have to buy a copy of Windows just for this. (also, parallels + windows + M1 seems a bit shaky at the moment)

I have a Wifi antenna i'll be installing shortly.

Primary Q: What's the best way to get latest iDrive, maps, and fullscreen CarPlay?

Other Qs:
  • Q: Is it possible to install/activate CarPlay using Bimmer-Remote.com SW and then update to the latest software and still retain the CarPlay functionality?
  • Q: If I update using the BMWUSA.com footer link, what does that actually update? the Maps? The Firmware? How does this affect any updates via Bimmer-Remote.com or other changes?
  • Q: What's the deal with uploading maps? You need to buy a code on eBay? seems sketchy) I have the 28Gb NA EVO maps file, but unsure how to install it.
  • Q: There seems to large selection of options for the OBD connectors. Is there a clear winner in the forums? What's the recommendation? I actually have a "Carly Version 2" adapter. Can I use that for anything besides the Carly app? Is the Carly app worth paying for?

Current SW Versions:
  • NA EVO 2016-03 Maps
  • NBTevo_H16303I (which is USB-friendly)

I know that's a lot of (dumb-ish) questions, and some are likely answered in other threads, but a cursory search didn't really turn up anything. Thanks for any guidance or help you can send my way!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 03:57 PM   #2
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
You can use Parallels to run the windows app on your M1 Mac to do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 02:12 AM   #3
flypenfly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Cayenne, 2015 Msport 228i

Get a cheap Windows laptop on eBay or amazon.

Or buy a cheap windows laptop on Amazon/BestBuy then return it or resell it on eBay.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 04:03 PM   #4
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

find a friend with a windows laptop = easiest and cheapest solution.
Appreciate 0