THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning More Power Options for the B46?

04-28-2022, 02:08 PM   #1
AlaskaDTD
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

More Power Options for the B46?

Hello all,
This is my first post/interaction on this forum so bare with me here. I've been a lurker for a while, however.

I just got my first BMW last year. I saw a 2018 230i calling my name and I'm addicted to going fast now. I bought and installed a catless downpipe and shortly after flashed to a 91 Octane Stage 2 OTS tune from Bootmod3. I couldn't be happier with the results. I've spent hours googling ways to make more power on the B46 and here is what I've gathered:

Cold Air Intake: Minimum performance increase if any, but sounds cool

Upgraded Heat Exchanger: Nice to have for increased boost and maintain healthy temps, but no power gains

Charge Pipe/ Boost Pipe Upgrade: Mostly for longevity and durability but no power increase

I've seen upgraded turbo kits but at the cost of product and installation I might as well just get an M240i. I'm also aware that weight reduction is a good way to make more power but this is a daily driver and I don't really want to pull out the back seats and what-not. Is there anything else I can do to increase power? I would be satisfied stopping where I am at with the current build, so please don't bend over backwards trying to recommend something. If I got any of my information wrong above please feel free to correct me. Full disclosure: I'm not a mechanic and I just started wrenching on my own car last year but I am eager to learn and enjoy the process.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 10:05 PM   #2
Ph4zed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xDrive

I have a pretty similar situation. I also have a 2018 230i. I've added a catless DP, a BMC drop-in engine air filter, and am using a 93 octane BM3 stage 2 tune.

I would recommend a drop in like the BMC over a cold air intake. Those don't filter as well (I don't think) and are more just hood bling + better turbo spooling sounds. Power increase isn't really noticeable.

The heat exchanger probablyyyy isn't necessary from what I understand unless you're pushing big power or live in a hot area and drive it hard often.

There are aftermarket exhausts, but there isn't really a power increase with those either. Aftermarket Chargepipes are more of a reliability option, and some say they aren't even necessary with the b46 because the reliability has gone up from the n20.

I would recommend an xhp trans tune, they released one for the b46 within the last year, and it's a pretty cool option. Will make your car shift a bit faster.

Nothing is really gonna make the car much faster than a big turbo, but like you said, the costs are pretty high and it's probably just not worth it. I am literally in the same boat as you - tried to make my b46 as powerful as I can, but there's not too much more to do without big turbo. I'm just going to try and get ahold of a b58 in the next few years, maybe a m340 or m240.

Hope this helps a little bit! Let me know if you have any questions. Love bouncing ideas off other people in the situation.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 10:37 PM   #3
AlaskaDTD
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Dude! I’m so glad to have that kind of closure! I guess that’s the move then, I’ve also been thinking about upgrading to the B58 in the coming years. I’ve seen that one dude on YouTube who made a 1000hp Supra with a B58 already so I’m sure aftermarket support is gonna be quite extensive. I’m very happy with what I have now so I’m definitely willing to wait. Thanks for the response I wish you the best of luck with your future B58 endeavors.

Edit: I’m looking into this transmission tune by XHP, do you feel pretty good after purchasing it? Was install easy? Any buyers remorse?

Last edited by AlaskaDTD; 04-30-2022 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 06:28 PM   #4
Ph4zed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaDTD View Post
Dude! I’m so glad to have that kind of closure! I guess that’s the move then, I’ve also been thinking about upgrading to the B58 in the coming years. I’ve seen that one dude on YouTube who made a 1000hp Supra with a B58 already so I’m sure aftermarket support is gonna be quite extensive. I’m very happy with what I have now so I’m definitely willing to wait. Thanks for the response I wish you the best of luck with your future B58 endeavors.

Edit: I’m looking into this transmission tune by XHP, do you feel pretty good after purchasing it? Was install easy? Any buyers remorse?
Yeah man, the B58 is an absolutely incredible engine and has amazing tuning potential. But yeah, the B46 does a good job of being the little brother, it's just the 4 cylinder tuning options don't seem to be too prevalent.

That being said, yep, install is easy for xhp, just like BM3 I think? My friend/mechanic set it up for me, but imagine it's straightforward. No issues and no remorse. It's supposed to really take advantage of the ZF 8 speed and optimize it.

Best of luck! Let me know how everything goes and if you find any cool mods to do.
Appreciate 0