THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Locked DME

10-18-2021, 10:57 AM   #1
Monkey5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '21 230 , '19 330 msport

Locked DME

I have a '21 230 M-sport, was looking to get an flash tune and found out the Dme was locked, production date is 9-24-20.
Has anyone been able to unlocked the post 6/2020 dme's yet?

Another thought I had was to find a used dme from a time period when they were not locked and have it vin coded to my car... thought? ideas?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 11:42 AM   #2
geeda3
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i xdrive

To my knowledge they can't be unlocked yet....at least Kies Motorsports states they cannot unlock any from 6/2020 on.

Just got my DME unlocked yesterday at my local shop in the Seattle area (pre 2020 DME)...might be worth giving them a call to see if they can unlock or if they have an option to provide an older DME to work with your VIN.

https://22rpd.com/page/tune-option-glossary
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 02:13 PM   #3
deathking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i / 2017 X3

I spoke with BM3 about this a week ago and they confirmed that none of the tuners have been able to crack it yet but as soon as that happens the tune will be available.

No idea about the older DME option as Id rather wait but hoping the wait isn't too long.
      03-21-2022, 04:00 PM   #4
SimoneSpeed
2018 M240i vroom vrrom
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

"Port Flash" Locked but "bench Flashing" Unlocked?

Hello,

I have just purchased my 2018 m240i from a BMW dealership down in NC ( CPO car, 51k miles) in March of 2022. Let me first say, amazing vehicle and I am in love, literally.

I swiftly ordered an MHD Super license, and VRSF downpipe to wake her up a bit. upon receiving my MHD Black Adapter i went ahead and tried to Tune my car to stg1. To no avail only a "progressed stopped" message, onto a message that reads that my DME is currently Locked and requires a bench unlock. Okay fine, I know the dealers update the software's sometimes, considering I had purchased my car Certified Pre Owned, I figured they probably had updated it before selling it to me.

I call my local "repeatable" (my first time using them) tuner shop (VAST Performance in Ferndale Michigan) and they say bring her in we should be able to unlock that AND tune it for you. After explaining to them, I just wanted it unlocked and not a tune, the shop rep kept pushing that MHD is trash and to let them tune it.

6 hours goes by and now they are letting me know that they can "Bench Flash" the DME ONLY and cannot unlock the capabilities of "Port Flashing" during the "Bench Unlock" but can flash tune it while on the bench. My question is, has anyone else ran into an issue like this or is this unheard of on the B58 platform cars before 2020? To my understanding if the ECU is unlocked it is unlocked of both "Port tuning" and or "Bench Flashing the ECU" capabilities.

I don't want anyone to think I'm shaming the shop as I know BMW throws new software's out there and has tricks up their sleeves. Please chime in on your DME unlocking experience that was recent. THANK YOU ( ALSO I STILL NEED MY DME UNLCOKED I GUESS PLEASE HELP, AS I TOLD THEM NOT TO TUNE MY CAR) What should I do?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 02:03 PM   #5
Monkey5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '21 230 , '19 330 msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimoneSpeed View Post
Hello,

I have just purchased my 2018 m240i from a BMW dealership down in NC ( CPO car, 51k miles) in March of 2022. Let me first say, amazing vehicle and I am in love, literally.

I swiftly ordered an MHD Super license, and VRSF downpipe to wake her up a bit. upon receiving my MHD Black Adapter i went ahead and tried to Tune my car to stg1. To no avail only a "progressed stopped" message, onto a message that reads that my DME is currently Locked and requires a bench unlock. Okay fine, I know the dealers update the software's sometimes, considering I had purchased my car Certified Pre Owned, I figured they probably had updated it before selling it to me.

I call my local "repeatable" (my first time using them) tuner shop (VAST Performance in Ferndale Michigan) and they say bring her in we should be able to unlock that AND tune it for you. After explaining to them, I just wanted it unlocked and not a tune, the shop rep kept pushing that MHD is trash and to let them tune it.

6 hours goes by and now they are letting me know that they can "Bench Flash" the DME ONLY and cannot unlock the capabilities of "Port Flashing" during the "Bench Unlock" but can flash tune it while on the bench. My question is, has anyone else ran into an issue like this or is this unheard of on the B58 platform cars before 2020? To my understanding if the ECU is unlocked it is unlocked of both "Port tuning" and or "Bench Flashing the ECU" capabilities.

I don't want anyone to think I'm shaming the shop as I know BMW throws new software's out there and has tricks up their sleeves. Please chime in on your DME unlocking experience that was recent. THANK YOU ( ALSO I STILL NEED MY DME UNLCOKED I GUESS PLEASE HELP, AS I TOLD THEM NOT TO TUNE MY CAR) What should I do?
Simonespeed. I also have a 19 g20 330i which i was able to get the dme unlocked at a local shop for $200 and did my own port flash tune at home which works perfectly. might want to check with another shop and get a second opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 11:19 AM   #6
jordan24c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 EB 240, G87 M2 (preodered)

Garage List
2021 BMW M240i  [10.00]
The only company that can/has openly cracked the post 06/2020 DMEs is Femtoevo; you have to go through one of their affiliated tuning shops and mail your DME to Europe (formerly Russia but moved for obvious reasons) and it costs a TON of money.
      04-27-2022, 06:49 PM   #7
f22foyou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i

Ran into this issue on my 22' X6 as well, i'm not sure anyone can unlock the DME after 06/2020.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 03:18 AM   #8
Edgarm8933
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

How do you see the date of your dme ? I have a 2020 bmw m240i and want to do a stage bm3 but worried mind might be locked
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 11:22 PM   #9
Ph4zed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xDrive

I just find it so incredible that the only humans on this earth that have cracked the code are a small group of dudes in Finland. Like how has no one cracked it stateside yet???
Appreciate 0