THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Square 225 setup for hpde use?

11-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Square 225 setup for hpde use?

Anybody running 225 square for track or hpde use? Any opinions? I'm new to track world but had one hpde recently that I did on the stock staggered PSS.

I'm getting an oem 7.5 square winter set and thinking about if I can use those wheels for spring/summer track use as well.

Options I have:

- Use 225 square setup for winter and track use
- Use oem staggered PSS for track use and daily driving with dedicated winters

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
Béhème
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

I'm using 245 Hankook RS3 all around on 17'' X 8'' Kosei K4R (as per a recommendation of another board member) and it works great.

Next summer, I just need to fine tune the tire pressures, find some pads more oriented towards the track and install my BMW LSD, with which I expect to run good times (bought my car an AIM SOLO lap timer for Christmas!!!).
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Anybody running 225 square for track or hpde use? Any opinions? I'm new to track world but had one hpde recently that I did on the stock staggered PSS.

I'm getting an oem 7.5 square winter set and thinking about if I can use those wheels for spring/summer track use as well.

Options I have:

- Use 225 square setup for winter and track use
- Use oem staggered PSS for track use and daily driving with dedicated winters

Thanks.
Square is a good idea. 225's should be okay, but you might want to think of moving to a slightly larger square setup -- 255/35/18 is a really good size due to it having similar diameter to the stock setup. You can get away with 18x8 and 255's all around, but you could also do an 8.5 or 9 inch wide wheel too.

Also, do not use the PSS for track use unless you intend to overinflate the tires and run a lot of camber. They will die very, very quickly. Any well known EPT would do better for track use - Direzzas, Hankooks, Potenzas, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
BlueM235
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 2017 comp pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
Square is a good idea. 225's should be okay, but you might want to think of moving to a slightly larger square setup -- 255/35/18 is a really good size due to it having similar diameter to the stock setup. You can get away with 18x8 and 255's all around, but you could also do an 8.5 or 9 inch wide wheel too.

Also, do not use the PSS for track use unless you intend to overinflate the tires and run a lot of camber. They will die very, very quickly. Any well known EPT would do better for track use - Direzzas, Hankooks, Potenzas, etc.
Be carefull with 9' wheels. Watch the offset of the wheel, Strut clearance is very tight in the front end of the M235.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post

They did well in my last full weekend event. I did overinflate them to 40+ cold and they performed alright but I wouldn't mind a separate track tire.

I'm not sure 255 will fit all around. I don't want to do anything like spacers or alignment adjustments to make things fit.

Stock would be 245/35/18. I know those fit for the rears for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
Béhème
Private First Class
Rep

Please see also thread: 17" Kosei Square Track Wheels Fitted

www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1017577
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
They did well in my last full weekend event. I did overinflate them to 40+ cold and they performed alright but I wouldn't mind a separate track tire.

I'm not sure 255 will fit all around. I don't want to do anything like spacers or alignment adjustments to make things fit.

Stock would be 245/35/18. I know those fit for the rears for sure.
255 will fit -- I have 235/40 and 255/35 on mine, they do fine. You don't need spacers, but you would need a slight alignment adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
Béhème
Private First Class
Rep

The only reason I can see for going with more than 17'' for track tires on a square setup is that one enjoys paying more for tires.

There is no performance advantage going with larger diameters (lower profiles). The only reason would be if your brake set up obliges you to....
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #9
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Béhème View Post
The only reason I can see for going with more than 17'' for track tires on a square setup is that one enjoys paying more for tires.

There is no performance advantage going with larger diameters (lower profiles). The only reason would be if your brake set up obliges you to....
Thanks for the info. My winter wheel order fell through from the dealer (was backordered) so I think I'm ordering winter tires alone and do the mounting and balancing twice a year on the stock wheels.

The money saved by doing this I'll turn around and order a set of 17 inch dedicated track wheels and tires most likely.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 05:19 AM   #10
Béhème
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. My winter wheel order fell through from the dealer (was backordered) so I think I'm ordering winter tires alone and do the mounting and balancing twice a year on the stock wheels.

The money saved by doing this I'll turn around and order a set of 17 inch dedicated track wheels and tires most likely.

To save the stock wheels from winter conditions, and the inevitable wear & tear on the stock wheels of changing the tires twice a year, the other option would be to buy 17'' X 8'' aftermarket wheels and mounting 245s for track use and 225s for winter use (in the appropriate profiles). Who cares if these track/winter wheels see some wear & tear?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #11
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Béhème View Post
To save the stock wheels from winter conditions, and the inevitable wear & tear on the stock wheels of changing the tires twice a year, the other option would be to buy 17'' X 8'' aftermarket wheels and mounting 245s for track use and 225s for winter use (in the appropriate profiles). Who cares if these track/winter wheels see some wear & tear?
I totally agree with you there and that's what I was considering. But, my preferred tire choice (Pilot Alpin PA4) isn't available in 17's. And since this is a lease, I'm not too worried about the wear and tear as long as it isn't real chargeable damage.
Appreciate 0