THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Nav screen/radio blanking out and resetting

11-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #1
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Nav screen/radio blanking out and resetting

So this past early summer, my screen would black out and reboot. The radio would shut off and the screen would go black, then it would go through the reboot process as if I was just starting up the car. This would happen in the middle of a commute. I took it into BMW and they had it for 2 days saying "they can't replicate it" as usual. They said it could possibly be the heat causing it but it was only 88-90 degrees?! So I get my car back and 3 days later, it happens again, this time it's happening over and over in 5-10 minute intervals during a drive. I got it on video so they had no excuse and can't say "they can't replicate it" anymore. So this time they have my car for 3 days trying to diagnose the issue. They finally said they found the problem and said the screen was faulty so they order a new one and after 6 days, I get my car back. So all is good and dandy.

Now fast forward 4 months and the same issue happened twice again. The first time it was 46 degrees and this morning it was 38 degrees so now they can't say it's the heat. Anyone have this problem before or have any idea what could be causing such a thing to happen?

I'm so frustrated with this 2 Series. This is my 3rd BMW (E92 335i, Z3) and never have I had so many issues. So many small, nagging things with this car and it is not built like my 11 E92 was. They really cheaped out on the materials and quality control seems to be an issue with the F22. Squeaks, rattles, and creaks galore!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
It must be a Friday car

Joke aside I’d say go and ask them to update the software of the car from their system, not the iDrive but the whole car itself. Usually these types of things are solved with software updates.

Also can you please share your vin so I can check if it has a PuMA measure or not related to this issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

What other issues?

My 2016 M235 is a vault in terms of squeaks and rattles. Want to hear squeaks and rattles. Own a 2012 WRX for 4 years. LOL
      11-16-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
What other issues?

My 2016 M235 is a vault in terms of squeaks and rattles. Want to hear squeaks and rattles. Own a 2012 WRX for 4 years. LOL
I've had this car for 4 years and so far...

-Squeaky driver seat that made a very irritating squeaking/creaking sound every time I accelerated or braked. I had in 4 times and they finally replaced the seat back frame.

-clunking from left side of car while going over bumps and in/out of driveways. Car was in 3 times for this issue. The final visit they had the car for 8 days and basically tore it apart and replaced and/or greased things to no avail. Finally, they figured it out and it was the hood bonnet hinge that was replaced No more clunking so...

-Ticking sound from rear deck driver side. It was in twice for this issue and all other subsequent visits for other issues. It seems to come and go but it's a constant tick like a nail tapping on a table? Of course, they can't replicate it so I just deal with it. It is intermittent in nature and who knows if it'll ever be present when I take my car in.

-And the iDrive screen blanking out which I already mentioned. It's been in twice and screen was replaced and entire software update. 6-7 months later, the problem is back. So, car is going in next Tuesday.

I love the way the car drives but, quality control doesn't seem to be what it used to be. The E92 was very solidly built and substantial feeling with the material whereas the F22 interior plastics seem very cheap.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
I've had this car for 4 years and so far...

-Squeaky driver seat that made a very irritating squeaking/creaking sound every time I accelerated or braked. I had in 4 times and they finally replaced the seat back frame.

-clunking from left side of car while going over bumps and in/out of driveways. Car was in 3 times for this issue. The final visit they had the car for 8 days and basically tore it apart and replaced and/or greased things to no avail. Finally, they figured it out and it was the hood bonnet hinge that was replaced No more clunking so...

-Ticking sound from rear deck driver side. It was in twice for this issue and all other subsequent visits for other issues. It seems to come and go but it's a constant tick like a nail tapping on a table? Of course, they can't replicate it so I just deal with it. It is intermittent in nature and who knows if it'll ever be present when I take my car in.

-And the iDrive screen blanking out which I already mentioned. It's been in twice and screen was replaced and entire software update. 6-7 months later, the problem is back. So, car is going in next Tuesday.

I love the way the car drives but, quality control doesn't seem to be what it used to be. The E92 was very solidly built and substantial feeling with the material whereas the F22 interior plastics seem very cheap.

I have also had all of these things.

The iDrive thing is constant, it is the reason I got the extended warranty. They had replaced the entire unit when the car was 5months old, and its come back a few times. And just came back recently again.

I have a squeak I hear when I accel or decal, sounds like its coming from somewhere within the driverside rear quarter panel. But hard to gauge.

There is some rattle in the passenger side dash area when I go over bumps, sounds like a piece of plastic stuck somewhere, could be a trim piece etc.

Rear deck lid, in the very corner on the passenger side, going over textured concrete or asphalt, man it sounds like shitty plastic rattling about.

Recently every few weeks the iDrive screen will go black with a red NO SIGNAL present, then the whole thing resets.

And also passenger door now the lock seems to be very slow, and sometimes door wont unlock with interior door pull.
      11-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #6
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post

The iDrive thing is constant, it is the reason I got the extended warranty. They had replaced the entire unit when the car was 5months old, and its come back a few times. And just came back recently again.

I have a squeak I hear when I accel or decal, sounds like its coming from somewhere within the driverside rear quarter panel. But hard to gauge.

There is some rattle in the passenger side dash area when I go over bumps, sounds like a piece of plastic stuck somewhere, could be a trim piece etc.

Rear deck lid, in the very corner on the passenger side, going over textured concrete or asphalt, man it sounds like shitty plastic rattling about.

Recently every few weeks the iDrive screen will go black with a red NO SIGNAL present, then the whole thing resets.

And also passenger door now the lock seems to be very slow, and sometimes door wont unlock with interior door pull.
Man, it's good (and bad) to know someone else has issues as I do. I thought I was the only one out there complaining on how bad the quality build of this car is. It's unfortunate because it's a fun car to drive, but it's starting to really irritate me. Very disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:

It took 3 visits and they finally broke the car down and got it right. Your squeaking from the right side might be related to the hood hinge?

INSP FOR NOISE
COMPLAINT
CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A LOUD CLUNK COMING FROM THE DRIVERS REAR OF THE VEHICLE WHEN GOING INTO A DRIVEWAY OR GOING OVER A BUMP.

CAUSE
Bonnet hinge Unpleasant noises

CORRECTION
Hood hinges binding causing noises when going over bumps.

Removing and installing or replacing footwell side trim panel on left A-pillar
COMPLAINT
CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A LOUD CLUNK COMING FROM THE DRIVERS REAR OF THE VEHICLE WHEN GOING INTO A DRIVEWAY OR GOING OVER A BUMP.

CAUSE

Removing and installing control unit for rear view camera
COMPLAINT

CAUSE

TEST DRIVE, INSP FOR NOISE
COMPLAINT

CAUSE

Removing and installing or replacing front and rear splash guards
COMPLAINT

CAUSE

REM/INST/REPL FRONT LEFT OR RIGHT WHEELHOUSE COVER
COMPLAINT

CAUSE

TEST DRIVE, INSP FOR NOISE
COMPLAINT

CAUSE

Removing and installing or replacing left or right thrust rod for front stabilizer
COMPLAINT

CAUSE

TEST DRIVE, USE CHASSIS EARS EXTENSIVELY TO INSP FOR NOISE
COMPLAINT

CAUSE

Removing and installing cowl panel cover
COMPLAINT

CAUSE

Removing and installing replacing both bonnet hinges (engine hood removed)
COMPLAINT

CAUSE

Removing and installing bonnet
COMPLAINT

CAUSE

PARTS
HEX BOLT WITH WASHER:889520
LEFT ENGINE HOOD HINGE:416013
RIGHT ENGINE HOOD HINGE:416013
GAS STRUT, HOOD:512032
HEX NUT WITH PLATE:889520
CENTRAL INFORMATION DISPLAY:655010
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #8
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Here's what they did with the iDrive screen blacking out. They replaced the screen and updated all software and 4 months later, it's doing it again. Ownership of this car has been very frustrating!

Recharge vehicle battery (at support point in engine compartment)
COMPLAINT
CUSTOMER STATES THE IDRVIE SCREEN KEEPS BLACKING OUT RANDOMLY WHEN DRIVING PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE.

CAUSE
Onboard monitor / control display / central information display (CID), front (including trim cover) Incorrect/incomplete reading

CORRECTION

Performing vehicle test
COMPLAINT
CUSTOMER STATES THE IDRVIE SCREEN KEEPS BLACKING OUT RANDOMLY WHEN DRIVING PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE.

CAUSE
Onboard monitor / control display / central information display (CID), front (including trim cover) Incorrect/incomplete reading

Vehicle diagnosis - carrying out the ABL
COMPLAINT

CAUSE

Replacing Central Information Display (after vehicle diagnosis) (FRU not including programming encoding, see 61 00 ...)
COMPLAINT

CAUSE

Programming encoding control unit(s) (after vehicle test)
COMPLAINT

CAUSE
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #9
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
There are several PuMA measures for CID shutdowns, see if any of these apply to you, if not there are more but I need specific information:

1)CID - switching off at high temperatures (DTC 0xB7F8C6)

Complaint:
At a very high temperature on the CID (e.g. after intensive sunshine when stationary), the CID remains dark.

Cause
Protective switch-off in case of increased temperature.

DTC 0xB7F8C6 - Backlight Reduction Because of Over Temperature
Measure
In case of high temperatures on the Control Display (e.g. due to intensive sunshine), the brightness is reduced and the CID may switch off completely. This is a protective function of the CID.
After lowering the temperature (e.g. vehicle in the shade or operation of the air conditioning) the normal
functions are restored.

From 75°C-92°C (component temperature):
Gradual reduction of the backlighting
(in combination with DTC 0xB7F8C6 - Backlight Reduction Because of Over Temperature)

From 92°C (component temperature):
Complete switch off

2)NBTevo - Reset while Youtube video is playing on mobile phone and a telephone call is received

Complaint:
The customer complains about the following behaviour:

A mobile end device is connected to the vehicle via Bluetooth.

If a Youtube video is played on the end device, and a call is received, the central information display (CID) goes dark because of a reset of the head unit.
The display screen stays black for at least five seconds.

The incoming telephone call is only displayed on the end device, not, however in the CID.

Cause
Software in the Head Unit High control unit
Affected vehicle equipment:
--------------------------------------------
SA609 - Navigation Professional
Measure
In the event of a customer complaint, run diagnostics with ISTA/D.

Work through the corresponding test module
and then program and encode the vehicle with ISTA 4.10.4x (I level 18-03-530) or a more recent version.

3)Head Unit High (NBTevo) - Resets with iPhone 8 and iPhone X

Complaint:
The customer beanstandet complains about resets of the Head Unit High (NBTevo ID4) when an Apple iPhone 8, iPhone 8+
or iPhone X is connected to the motor vehicle.

Cause
Apple iPhone

Affecte vehicle equipment:
----------------------------------------
Motor vehicles with NBTevo
Measure
In the event of a customer complaint, do not exchange any parts and do not perform any programmig.

Inform the customer to update the Apple iPhone to the latest iOS version and to check the behaviour once more.

4)KOMBI -resets / sporadic, delayed starting at lower temperatures

Complaint:
The customer is complaining that the instrument cluster (KOMBI)
sporadically does not work at lower temperatures. The display remains black.

Cause
Software in the KOMBI / KOMB25 / basic instrument cluster

Tolerance range at low temperatures in the instrument cluster microcontroller.

Affected vehicle equipment:
--------------------------------------------

Vehicles with the "basic instrument cluster" without an extended display
See attachment "Instrument cluster", page 1
-A: "Basic instrument cluster" (only this instrument cluster is affected)
-B: Instrument cluster with a extended scopes (not affected)

If one of the following OEs are installed
the vehicle is NOT affected (another instrument cluster supplier):
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F4x:
PHEV hybrid vehicle
OE 05AR - Traffic jam assistant
OE 05AS - Driving Assistant
OE 05AT - Driving Assistant Plus
OE 05DF - Active cruise control with Stop&Go function
OE 0610 - BMW Head‐Up Display
OE 0609 - Navigation System Professional
OE 08TH - Speed Limit Info

F20/F21/F22/F23:
OE 06WA - Instrument cluster with extended scopes

F3x:
SA 06WA - instrument cluster with extended scopes
AND no "Model Sport Line"

F25/F26
SA 0609 - Navigation system Professional
SA 0602 - BM with TV
SA 0610 - BMW Head-Up Display
SA 05AS - Driving Assistant
SA 05AT - Driving Assistant Plus
SA 05DF - Active cruise control with Stop&Go function
SA 08TH - Speed Limit Info
SA 0802 - Korea version
SA 0807 - Japanese version
SA 08AA - China version
SA 0852 - Language version Japanese
SA 0866 - Language version Chinese
SA 0867 - Language version Korean
SA 08LH - Hong Kong version
SA 08LT - Taiwan version
Measure
In case of a customer complaint, perform the diagnosis with ISTA/Next, work through the respective test module and then program and encode the vehicle with ISTA/P 3.61.0 or ISTA NEXT 4.04.1x (I level 17-03-502) or a higher version.

ISTA/P 3.61.0 or ISTA/P 4.04.1x is expected to be available from 24.02.2017.

A parts replacement does not provide a remedy.

In the event of complaints regarding "Clock in instrument cluster is slow", PuMA measure 63158389 must be observed.

Invoicing:
Processing and reimbursement must be conducted according to current warranty conditions.

Recommended defect code for GWK cases:
62 11 20 42 Liquid crystal display / pixel / backlighting (in the instrument cluster), dropouts
Appreciate 1
hwntime270.00
      11-16-2018, 05:29 PM   #10
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Thanks omera60! My car goes in on Tuesday and I'm going to run your post by the SA and see if she can pass it on to the mech.
Appreciate 1
omera60194.50
      11-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #11
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

So one thing I did, I complained once, and they said it can reset if it overheats. I was sure it wasn't too hot out. So next time it happened, luckily the process lasts a few seconds, I had my girlfriend record it, and made sure she got the temp. It was like in the 60s outside and night time. There would have been 0 chance of it overheating due to external, or internal temps. If the unit is overheating, it would have to be because something is wrong with it.
      11-16-2018, 11:29 PM   #12
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Curious what year these lemons were made. I see from the signatures they are 228i and M235i that are having issues. Purchased new or used/CPO? It's rare to see complaints like this around here.
      11-17-2018, 03:19 AM   #13
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Curious what year these lemons were made. I see from the signatures they are 228i and M235i that are having issues. Purchased new or used/CPO? It's rare to see complaints like this around here.
Ive owned mine since new in 2014. Dont get me wrong the rattles are annoying but not enough to make me hate the car. The nav has been an ongoing thing, but i guess common to a few cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 12:45 PM   #14
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M-Sport eDrive 40

When your Nav screen reboots, does your whole dash do the same?

I had an occurrence last summer when my whole dash, instrument panel and all, rebooted. I did find some information on the forum somewhere about others having the issue. They suggested repeating exactly what you were doing. For me it was a specific tollway exchange, with nav on, nav a bit confused and me disregarding the instructions. I have not tried to recreate it as it's not a normal route for me. I did bring it up during a service visit about month after the occurrence. The tech blamed it on my dash cams doing parking recording. He says that does not let the car fully shut off. I felt like it was a cop out. I just think he did not like being recorded

Edit: I found it. See post #11. I know it's a little different than the OP's issue. But maybe there is some relevant information. https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1200310
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #15
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2 View Post

I had an occurrence last summer when my whole dash, instrument panel and all, rebooted. I did find some information on the forum somewhere about others having the issue. They suggested repeating exactly what you were doing. For me it was a specific tollway exchange, with nav on, nav a bit confused and me disregarding the instructions. I have not tried to recreate it as it's not a normal route for me. I did bring it up during a service visit about month after the occurrence. The tech blamed it on my dash cams doing parking recording. He says that does not let the car fully shut off. I felt like it was a cop out. I just think he did not like being recorded

Edit: I found it. See post #11. I know it's a little different than the OP's issue. But maybe there is some relevant information. https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1200310
Is there anything different in your car as a result of the dash cams? What does he mean by fully shutting off? The car still provides some small amount of power to systems even when kff. Its why your battery drains after so often. Sounds like he is full of shit. One time they tried to blame my "aftermarket tint" for a rattle in my window. I was like less than 1mm of film on the window... is causing the car to rattle? Really?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 04:51 PM   #16
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M-Sport eDrive 40

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2 View Post

Is there anything different in your car as a result of the dash cams? What does he mean by fully shutting off? The car still provides some small amount of power to systems even when kff. Its why your battery drains after so often. Sounds like he is full of shit. One time they tried to blame my "aftermarket tint" for a rattle in my window. I was like less than 1mm of film on the window... is causing the car to rattle? Really?
Ya. It was total BS. he did not annotate that on the paperwork however. So that was good.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #17
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks omera60! My car goes in on Tuesday and I'm going to run your post by the SA and see if she can pass it on to the mech.
Let us know of the outcome, please. If I can be of any further assistance just let me know...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #18
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Update: Dropped the car off this morning and just received a text from the SA saying they're replacing the head unit for the rebooting issue. So now a replaced screen and a replaced head unit and hopefully this permanently fixes the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 07:03 PM   #19
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Dont forget, if you were using satelite radio, you will need to transfer it now, as it will be a new radio id.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #20
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

I’ve had the same thing happen. Maybe I should try to get mine replaced
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 08:38 PM   #21
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
I've had the same thing happen. Maybe I should try to get mine replaced
You should while under warranty. The first time they replaced the screen and all was good for 6 months and then it started up again. So now the head unit is being replaced and I'm hoping this is it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 10:02 PM   #22
paposalsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i

Quote:
Here's what they did with the iDrive screen blacking out. They replaced the screen and updated all software and 4 months later, it's doing it again. Ownership of this car has been very frustration. [/I]
\

My IDrive screen just blackout today while on reverse for about 30 sec by the time that came back to the original message ...

The bad part is that the factory warranty expired a month ago ... and my extended warranty doesn't cover electronic

These cars is full of problems for being a BMW
Appreciate 0