THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning EveryBody Should know about XHP's transmission Tune

04-10-2020, 07:37 PM   #1
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

EveryBody Should know about XHP's transmission Tune

Hey everyone, If you're like me you probably want the most out of what you have, A few weeks ago i was down in Mexico with some friends one night and we did some good ol digs. One of the guys there had a 440i and asked me about what i had done to my M235i. He then asked me if i had a Transmission tune....I didn't know they had transmission tunes out for our cars...

If you don't already know xHP makes a tune for our 8 speed steptronic transmissions. I went ahead and downloaded the app on the same smartphone i use with my MHD tune. i looked over the app and decided to just go for it and try it out. It ran me 429.00CAD and the tune only took about 10mins to download into my TCU. The tune alone blew me away but the fact that you can now tweak your launch control settings as well as your M blip downshifts just was icing on the cake.

The transmission is a lot better and the shifting is so much better. I notice a massive cut down in time it takes to upshift, you stay in the power longer and it gets you into that next gear a lot nicer. Downshifts are perfect now and the way i have my line pressure set my downshifts are aggressive and firm, I use this car strictly for fun/track driving so i have it set pretty high on the % for the downshifts.

your DEC logic is modified and Sport+ is a lot different, you also get your gear displayed in every single drive mode. Nice touch!

I personally never drive my car in auto mode, i'm strictly in manual shifting almost 99% of the time. This transmission tune really really goes well with my MHD stage 2+ tune and makes my 0-60 times that much faster.
I highly suggest you guys check it out on the play store and maybe even give it a go. xHP gives you 4 stages of tunes when you buy the complete licence, The only drawback with the software is you must pay the full price for every stage even if you're only going to use stage 4 or stage 1 for example.
I personally went with the stage 4 tune and couldn't be happier, Great product, I notice entering coming into corners is a lot easier as i can be in the gear i want faster and everything is smoother.

* that Eco pro is unmodified and will act as it was set from the factory

Check it out guys!
16 M235xi 8ZF Black on Red FBO: Xhp trans tune -BMS Intake - VRSF Catless DownPipe - VRSF CP - VRSF Muffler delete/resonator - n22 plugs - MHD stage 2+ 95map - Wagner EVO II Preformace IC - Rear seat delete - weight reduction/stripping -FTP 18.5in rims - Hawk HPS front pads - StopTech STR 660 fluid
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 12:27 PM   #2
ferraricare
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Garage List
2016 M235i  [0.00]
Any "Normal " Driving Observations

Great write up on something I've been interested about. Your description of the effects on performance driving are as good as I was hoping for. But I would love to hear about how it changes normal driving: in auto, comfort mode commuting to work. Unfortunately this is real life for much of my driving as a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 03:00 PM   #3
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraricare View Post
Great write up on something I've been interested about. Your description of the effects on performance driving are as good as I was hoping for. But I would love to hear about how it changes normal driving: in auto, comfort mode commuting to work. Unfortunately this is real life for much of my driving as a daily driver.
Let me get back to you, I'll do some regular driving and see how it performs. Was just out again today with some 911s and a few exotics and the car hung on super well for our massive Cruze. Transmission is handling it super well and I'm extremely happy with how it's preforming. Down shifts sound like the belt of a whip and are lightning fast. I'm also straight piped but up shifts are insane too. Drivability is superb and I have my gearbox M-blibs set pretty aggressively.

It took a good 2 days to really get use to everything and all the changes. No complaints from me at all. Custom launch control is also dialled in and it just made an already fast car faster! You won't be disappointed.

Let me get back to you with some regular driving behaviour.
16 M235xi 8ZF Black on Red FBO: Xhp trans tune -BMS Intake - VRSF Catless DownPipe - VRSF CP - VRSF Muffler delete/resonator - n22 plugs - MHD stage 2+ 95map - Wagner EVO II Preformace IC - Rear seat delete - weight reduction/stripping -FTP 18.5in rims - Hawk HPS front pads - StopTech STR 660 fluid
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 03:30 PM   #4
e46dreammachine
Private
Rep
Drives: e46 325XI

Also, looking to hear how the daily experience is with regular driving. Comfort needs to be still smooth/unchanged or this is a waste of time for a daily. I was planning to do xHP stage 2 and mhd stage 2 but don't want any headaches driving around feeling like it wants to go all the time no matter what mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #5
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep

So did some regular driving around for a good hour and let the car do what wanted. All I can say is wow, it's much improved, shifts are buttery smooth, and the engine hums along with it no problem. It's downshifts at silent and gentle. i also noticed the next day that MHD has a flash option when you choose your transmission. I would always choose AT, I didn't realize that MHD has a option for "MT or xHP (AT) " I quickly changed it over to that flash option and the engine worked even better with the transmission. Manual shifting was quicker and smoother, WOT pulls were even faster and downshifts reved the engine quickly and smoother. Daily driving shifting was almost seemless. And I'm on the stage 4 tune turned all the way up....

I think you guys will like it
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 04:52 PM   #6
Zyzzthetic
6 speeeeeeeeeed
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6-Speed Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_otherM235i View Post
Quote:
Let me get back to you, I'll do some regular driving and see how it performs. Was just out again today with some 911s and a few exotics and the car hung on super well for our massive Cruze. Transmission is handling it super well and I'm extremely happy with how it's preforming. Down shifts sound like the belt of a whip and are lightning fast. I'm also straight piped but up shifts are insane too. Drivability is superb and I have my gearbox M-blibs set pretty aggressively.

It took a good 2 days to really get use to everything and all the changes. No complaints from me at all. Custom launch control is also dialled in and it just made an already fast car faster! You won't be disappointed.

Got any sounds of your exhaust? Straight pipe would sound demonic haha
      04-17-2020, 04:55 PM   #7
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzzthetic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_otherM235i View Post
Quote:

Got any sounds of your exhaust? Straight pipe would sound demonic haha
I'll have to record some! It's definitely extremely loud. Cold starts are hellish and wot pulls are stupid loud. I love the sound of the raspy N55. My buddy had a straight piped e92 335i and even it's not as loud as mine. I'll get some video for sure!
Appreciate 0