THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M235i Money Shift

04-08-2020, 01:16 AM   #1
MoneyShifter
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 6MT M235i

Arrow M235i Money Shift

Hey guys, new here. Just wanted to share my story of money shifting my M235i. I got my M235i last year and it was my first manual car, got used to it pretty fine. A few months later, I was driving the car and went for a few pulls. This is where it gets bad lol, on one of the pulls I was right at redline (maybe just a little bit right before it) in 3rd gear and quickly shifted, but instead of shifting from 3rd to 4th I went into 2nd.... car bucked real hard. Dash lit up like a Christmas tree, I started slowing down but since I'm still a new to the manual life, I didn't push the clutch in until like 4-5 seconds after I already money shifted into second and I already started slowing down by braking. I can't remember what popped up on the screen but it was something about drive train malfunction and something about the chassis. So I took it home, didn't look at it for a few days since I knew I fucked up. A week later I decided to finally take it out it to BMW and get it looked at. By the time I got to BMW the clutch was slipping a lot and a check engine light came on. BMW took a look at it and told me id need a new clutch and flywheel, they were going to charge around $4500 CAD to replace them.. So instead I decided to get a SPEC Stage 2+ clutch and an M Factory lightweight flywheel for $2000, took it to a well known local BMW shop got them to install it for $900.

14,000km later, motor still running fine and everything is good. From what I've heard, the guy I bought the clutch and flywheel from was shocked that after money shifting that my motor was still running and said usually the motor is gone after that and that's why its called a money shift lol... Even The shop that I took it to, the mechanic also said that he's surprised the motor still running.

So I guess im lucky... but just wanted to share this story of me fucking up
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      04-08-2020, 12:47 PM   #2
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

That's a scary story!!! Money shifting is a great way to rev the engine over 9000rpm and send it right to the grave, Glad you were lucky! There's a video on youtube of a guy money shifting his M2C and completely blows it up. Pretty sad Drive safe and in good health my friend!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 01:29 PM   #3
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
Never heard that called a "money shift" before lol.

Is it because after you do it, you end up spending a lot of money fixing it?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 04:22 PM   #4
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

I money shifted my first car at 16 the same way and the clutch blew up rather than the motor. When they pulled the transmission the clutch was a pile of dust and steel. Considering you've put 14k on the car since the incident I'd say you're probably in the clear.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 06:00 PM   #5
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

That's pretty impressive for the rods and valve train to handle that level of rpm. 3rd gear is good for around 108 mph@7000rpms. 2nd is good to about 72mph@7000rpms. Fuel cut is 7,200rpms. Grabbing 2nd at 108mph (assuming you grabbed it at redline), means you hit over 10,000rpm.

Next time your grabbing high rpm shifts, consider your hand position on the 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 shift. It's simple. When shifting the 2 to 3, point your fingers to passenger seat and use your palm to shift up. This will make your up shift up and slightly to the right. On the 3 to 4, invert your hand so that your thumb is point down and wrap your hand around the front of the shift knob. This force you to shift directly down rather than pulling towards your body and potentially hitting 2nd.
      04-10-2020, 07:40 PM   #6
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

If anybody wan'ts to watch this guy completely destory his M2C here it is

turns out he Spun the engine just under 9500rpm.
Piston heads trashed, valves bent, but rods were straight. Crankshaft was irreparable as well. Connection from shaft to crankhub bolt was also destroyed. he had Vargas Turbos crankhub bolt lock on at the time.
16 M235xi 8ZF Black on Red FBO: Xhp trans tune -BMS Intake - VRSF Catless DownPipe - VRSF CP - VRSF Muffler delete/resonator - n22 plugs - MHD stage 2+ 95map - Wagner EVO II Preformace IC - Rear seat delete - weight reduction/stripping -FTP 18.5in rims - Hawk HPS front pads - StopTech STR 660 fluid
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 12:43 PM   #7
MoneyShifter
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
That's pretty impressive for the rods and valve train to handle that level of rpm. 3rd gear is good for around 108 mph@7000rpms. 2nd is good to about 72mph@7000rpms. Fuel cut is 7,200rpms. Grabbing 2nd at 108mph (assuming you grabbed it at redline), means you hit over 10,000rpm.

Next time your grabbing high rpm shifts, consider your hand position on the 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 shift. It's simple. When shifting the 2 to 3, point your fingers to passenger seat and use your palm to shift up. This will make your up shift up and slightly to the right. On the 3 to 4, invert your hand so that your thumb is point down and wrap your hand around the front of the shift knob. This force you to shift directly down rather than pulling towards your body and potentially hitting 2nd.

Lol yeah I don't think it really grabbed that's why the motor is probably fine. When I took it into the shop the guy who replaced my clutch and flywheel was shocked. He told me I think 2-3 bolts of the flywheel were loosened and even came out of the flywheel.
Now I have a stage 2+ clutch and a lightweight flywheel.... so it'll definitely catch this time if it ever happens again. from what I've been told lol
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 12:44 PM   #8
MoneyShifter
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
Never heard that called a "money shift" before lol.

Is it because after you do it, you end up spending a lot of money fixing it?
Lmaoooo exactly pretty much. Usually motor is supposed to be toast after that so you have to get in a new motor. Which is why its called money shift.... for me I only had to spend $3,000 to get the clutch and flywheel and then have it installed. So comparatively, I was very lucky and didn't spend thousand and thousands as I would have if the motor was gone
Appreciate 0