THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Fabspeed Sport Cat Fitment Issue

05-09-2018, 11:37 AM   #23
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfry675 View Post
If you stand by your products 100% why wouldn’t you just send him a return label and have him send it back so you could compare it to another one or just replace it? It’s seems to me like you assigned blame by assuming it couldn’t be a problem on your end. To have him torque the shit out of it to bend the bracket in place seems crazy to me. That’s a lot of stress that was put on the turbo getting that to bend. Im assuming he torqued it in place.
Exactly. The downpipe is designed to hang in a static position when the engine is off. The midpipe and DP to engine brackets are designed to distribute the weight/load on the DP. Pushing hard on the DP to fit it to the bracket puts stress all over the DP and it's connection points. Now compound that with the fact that the engine moves a lot during driving, especially during hard on/off throttle situations, who's to say this additional torque on the DP isn't going to compromise something?

It's not right to make the customer assume this risk for a shoddy fitting product. What I'm seeing here is a company that has a hard time supplying these downpipes and they don't want to send one out as a replacement. So as long as the customer could get it to fit, then all is well.

God only knows what FS would say if they had one that had a cat fail or the DP bracket broke on one their DPs. It sure seems to me like they'd point the finger at the customer first and claim the customer damaged it or the tune was too lean and caused the cat to overheat and that an "experienced technician" needs to make the call. I'm seeing that they've got a ton of outs/excuses to not warranty their product.

Last edited by XutvJet; 05-09-2018 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 3
      05-09-2018, 01:27 PM   #24
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

XutvJet,

You are entitled to assume all of those things but we can’t operate a business based on assumptions.

We have been in this industry for over 20 years, this is not the first time someone has raised an issue about fitment, and there are a number of variables at play here. Steve seems very knowledgeable and we are absolutely not passing the blame onto him, but there is a level of escalation here that you are completely ignoring. We have talked to Steve throughout this process and have continually tried to work out the best solution for all parties involved.

We had our two best technicians go through all of the information and look through all of the photos available to us and from what they can see there looks like there is no difference, including the brackets, between the downpipe Steve received and every other one we make here in-house in Fort Washington, PA. We have not subcontracted another company to make these, that is completely false.

We are not claiming with absolute certainty that there is not an issue with the product we have provided. Mistakes happen and when we make mistakes we admit that and do what we can to resolve the situation and leave our customer happy.

In this situation we are taking into account all of the information available and trying to actually fix Steve’s issue, so he can enjoy our product on his car for years to come. After analyzing every available photo, our experts who work with these parts all the time determined it does not seem to be an issue with the way the part was fabricated – it would not make much sense to just ignore them, put up blinders, and continue to operate like the part is incorrect. We trust the judgement of our technicians that install these parts for a living.

Instead, we communicated with Steve and gave him some trouble shooting options that we thought we more likely to actually solve the issue. Though there is a slight bend in the bracket currently, after having our technicians and manufacturing look at the current setup, they do not expect it to be an issue or cause the product to break.

You claim we do not stand by our products and we are placing the risk on the customer, but the product is protected by our Limited Lifetime Warranty and if the bracket compromises we will replace the product in full. If after all of this, we determined it is likely this product will break at any point in the future, we would have let Steve know and we would have him send it back – we are risking a good amount on the fact that we believe there will not be issues moving forward.

Our ultimate goal is to have happy Fabspeed customers with Fabspeed products on their cars.

Steve, if you have any issues moving forward don’t hesitate to reach out.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 01:53 PM   #25
stevemg9
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

To those who posted in this thread - thanks for the support, guys, I really do appreciate it. Honestly I would have preferred to exchange the product but that was before I invested my time (twice) and money to get this thing installed. Exchanging it now would mean paying two more times to rent a lift to remove it, and then to put a new one on again - plus the time involved. It is interesting thinking about what would have happened if I took it to a mechanic though. I wonder what they would have said, or if they would have forced it like I did, or refused to install it. Honestly that's the main reason I went DIY - I was afraid of paying a couple hundred bucks just to have them say, "we couldn't get it to fit right so we just put the stock DP back on, that'll be $250."

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
This is a BS response, IMO. How exactly could there be an issue with his car that would cause this fitment issue?

The OEM downpipe fit all the brackets fine. He installed your downpipe and the bracket no longer fit. To claim his car is the issue is total BS.

How exactly do you define "experienced technician"? Sounds again like a BS, pass it off on the customer, response.

The downpipe setup is incredibly simple on these cars. The fact that the OEM downpipe didn't have this issue and there's clearly no damage or bending of the OEM engine to downpipe bracket is telling that your product is the problem.

You should have sent him another one. The company you've subcontracted with to make these DPs has a QA/QC issue with the bracket angle. Simple as that. The fact that you sell hundreds of them is meaningless. I've read of others having fitment issues and they just make it work.

For nearly $1,500, we should expect more.
Just to put all of the information out there, I bought this car CPO in August of 2017 with about 24K miles - it's a 2014 M235i Coupe - RWD - 8AT. It was originally leased by the first owner. The sport cat is the first and only modification this car has - other than that, it is bone stock with no tune. There has been nothing done to my car that would have changed the way that the DP was supposed to fit.

It is pretty obvious to me (and I would think, also to anyone looking at the pictures) that this is an issue with the bracket on the Sport Cat. The stock DP fit perfectly, and I was able to remove and reinstall it (when the Sport Cat didn't fit), laying on my back with my car like 14" off the ground. Both brackets aligned perfectly. In my last post with images, I specifically took the pictures so that you could see that the FS Sport Cat was clamped to both the turbo and the exhaust pipe. When both the entrance and exit of the sport cat were clamped properly in place, the bracket was off by about 1.5". It's not a very complex problem - you could even tell that was the issue in my original post - the difference was that I didn't have it clamped into place in the first post, I was just holding it.

Quote:
Exactly. The downpipe is designed to hang in a static position when the engine is off. The midpipe and DP to engine brackets are designed to distribute the weight/load on the DP. Pushing hard on the DP to fit it to the bracket puts stress all over the DP and it's connection points. Now compound that with the fact that the engine moves a lot during driving, especially during hard on/off throttle situations, who's to say this additional torque on the DP isn't going to compromise something?

It's not right to make the customer assume this risk for a shoddy fitting product. What I'm seeing here is a company that has a hard time supplying these downpipes and they don't want to send one out as a replacement. So as long as the customer could get it to fit, then all is well.

God only knows what FS would say if they had one that had a cat fail or the DP bracket broke on one their DPs. It sure seems to me like they'd point the finger at the customer first and claim the customer damaged it or the tune was too lean and caused the cat to overheat and that an "experienced technician" needs to make the call. I'm seeing that they've got a ton of outs/excuses to not warranty their product.
My fingers are crossed that I won't have an issue. Worst case scenario, the clamp on the turbo snaps and the DP separates from the turbo, while I'm driving at WOT... what happens? Total failure? Permanent damage? Obviously BMW wouldn't touch that so it'd be nice to at least know the risk factor...

Also, I want to be clear, I'm not on here trying to bitch about my experience, I really just want to get this information out there so that others can make informed decisions about their purchases. This forum is the sole reason that I bought the FabSpeed Sport Cat - I read countless threads and reviews and I just want to give back to this community with my experience. I'm not trying to badmouth FabSpeed here either, they did work with me to help and were very courteous each time I talked to them, but I think that there is an important thing they should clarify for others reading this (and myself):

I was told by the guys at Fabspeed that this bracket on the Sport Cat was designed in such a way that it fits all variants of the M235i (AWD/RWD/Coupe/Vert and even the F87 M2) and that because of this, it may need to be bent certain ways to fit each variant and that the bracket location was sort of a happy medium to fit all versions. So either this is true, and that's how I got the part and I bent it to fit, and that's just how it works - or that is not the case and I got a bad part and probably should have returned/exchanged it. To me I think the latter is more likely, since the former does not seem to make sense when there are so many people on this forum that said theirs "fit perfectly." They did say though, that they had others call in with similar issues, so I was not the first, but they also said that they are always able to "resolve" the issue.

My guess is that since these parts are custom fabricated and made by hand (in a custom jig?) there may be some human induced error on some of the DP's. I'm assuming that on the rare occasions that there are issues, they can be dealt with by doing basically what I did - bending the bracket to fit properly.

I do find it a little interesting that the response went from:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport View Post
Phil from Fabspeed here.
Please do not force/bend/heat or change the sport cat in any way. We have sent hundreds of these out and not had an issue.

Please give us a call we will figure this out and figure out how to get this on your vehicle.
We have fixed the CEL from the other post and will have no problem helping you out.
To:
Quote:
Hey Stevemg9,

Glad to see you got everything installed!
When it is pretty obvious that I had to bend and force the Sport Cat to get it to fit...

Overall, with the Sport Cat on my car, I am very pleased with the performance of the part even though the install process left a lot to be desired. The car sounds much better now (I feel like it got louder over the past few days but it could just be me), and I really like the way the car drives now! I would say that, assuming fitment is not an issue, the FabSpeed Sport Cat is worth it. I am aware that I'm assuming a certain amount of risk with the part installed as it is, I just hope it's something I do not regret in the future. If I hear back from Fabspeed or get a lot of outside opinions that the added stress on the turbo is a serious risk factor - I will swap it out.

Last edited by stevemg9; 05-09-2018 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Additional Info
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 02:35 PM   #26
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

Hilarious!!! The first response you got was do not bend anything!!!! Then after their two eagle eye technicians inspected the pictures and decided the angle of the bracket was correct FROM A PICTURE their answer was bend the shit outta that thing!!! I wouldn’t trust that warranty as far as I could throw it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 02:38 PM   #27
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I bet if this happened to one of their McLaren or Lamborghini customers they would’ve made it right immediately.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 04:10 PM   #28
JP's M2xx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i x drive conv

I think the right thing to do here would have been to have you send it back and compare/swap it with another one before your second try, especially after they contradicted themselves on bending/forcing it. No reason for a part to be that far off and it is pretty obvious in the pictures.

Glad I have waited to buy my sportcat.

Hope all goes well for you, that was a lot of work on your part.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #29
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

Stevemg9,

We originally did not recommend forcing/bending/heating or changing the product because we wanted to go through all the information available and give you the best advice before you went and did something to your vehicle or any of its parts.

You are correct that the part in it’s current state is able to fit on all variants of the M235i. We did not specifically design the bracket to be a happy medium between all the versions, but to be a perfect fit for earlier versions. We do not have any issues with a vast majority of M235is, though we have had fitment issues arise on rare occasions, specifically in the later models.

In these occasions, the fitment was never due to an incorrectly placed bracket, and a perfect fit was always achieved with minor troubleshooting such as loosening and retightening some additional bolts.

Your case is the most extreme we’ve seen of any fitment issue for this product. We were not trying to be dismissive or put blame on you, we have always just been trying to solve this issue the best we can based on this specific scenario and based on other scenarios we have dealt with during our 20 years in the industry. The bracket in question that is now bearing some additional stress is made of 16ga stainless steel and is designed to be flexible enough to have some bend while still maintaining its strength.

I completely understand your frustration with this entire situation. We hope we have shown with our communication throughout this experience that we do take this very seriously. We are constantly updating and adding products, and put great weight into customer feedback like yours when making those decisions.

I did not mean to minimize the issues you had to deal with while getting this installed when I said glad you got it all done – just happy that you are out of the woods and seemed to be pleased with the final product. We wish it went smoother as well and will take a look through this situation to see if there are things we can handle differently to avoid this issue in the future.

Last edited by Fabspeed Motorsport; 05-09-2018 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #30
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

What makes no sense to me is FS excuse that the DP is made to fit multiple BMW models so that might be why it fits a little differently. OK, I get that, but all N55 2 series (including the M2 and X) and N55 3 and 4 series cars use the same exact DP and DP mounting bracket.....so......there's no reason why their DP should fit any differently than the stocker. It's called parts bin sharing and cost control.

Why did Steve's OEM DP fit without a hitch and their's did not? Because BMW parts are made to extremely tight tolerances and are designed by a huge R&D group and checked by QA/QC groups whereas a small company like FS has a small team of workers making the parts and won't have near the level of R&D and quality control like a major automaker has. All fingers point to the FS DP being the issue.

It is also incredibly funny that they said don't force it and then later on said force it and bend the bracket. What?

A reputable company would have looked at those pictures and thought that maybe there was a manufacturing defect on their end and trust, but verify what the customer was saying. They could told the customer to ship it back at his cost, they'd inspect it and if there was a flaw, replace the DP and reimburse the shipping costs at the least. I've had to do this before with incorrectly welded exhaust parts.

In this instance, FS choose to tell their client/customer to squeeze on something that clearly wasn't built correctly. Either the bracket is welded wrong or one of the DP pipes are clocked slightly wrong. This is just bad business practice.

FS is very quick to tell everyone when they have a shipment of DPs coming in and get the while they are hot. Like I said earlier, the DPs are apparently hard to come by/manufacturer on their end thus they are apparently resistant to offering to replace them because in their mind, they've built hundreds of the so how could one not fit right and why loose a $1,400 sale? They build these things in a jig which usually alleviates issues like this but sometimes weird things happen. What most likely happened is the bracket was welded at the correct angle in the jig and then the welder took the DP out of the jig before the bracket weld fully cooled and the bracket shifted. It's a very common issue in welding.
      05-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #31
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

XutvJet,

We have tried to be very transparent throughout this situation to both the customer and to the community.

We have been in business for over 20 years and have prior knowledge that influenced our decision making process. It is standard practice to advise a customer to not make any alterations to a product until we have all the information possible and walk through some more common troubleshooting steps that we have seen arise in dealing with hundreds of these exhausts every year on hundreds of different vehicles. There is a path of escalation to follow.

At this point I feel as though we are both just rehashing things that have already been said.

You seem to feel strongly about this and I sent you a PM if you would like to discuss how we handled this situation. You are also more than welcome to call our Customer Service Manager, Brian, to discuss the situation in more depth as well. We take community feedback very seriously when we are making decisions for our business, always trying to find ways to improve both our products and the way we handle our business operations.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #32
abdiel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

OP's bracket looks way off from the other forum members install pics and even Fabspeed's website pic.

I recently bought one (also labelled for M2 but ordered for M235i) and having it installed this Tue. Guess I'll be doing some comparing against these pics tonight.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #33
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What makes no sense to me is FS excuse that the DP is made to fit multiple BMW models so that might be why it fits a little differently. OK, I get that, but all N55 2 series (including the M2 and X) and N55 3 and 4 series cars use the same exact DP and DP mounting bracket.....so......there's no reason why their DP should fit any differently than the stocker. It's called parts bin sharing and cost control.

Why did Steve's OEM DP fit without a hitch and their's did not? Because BMW parts are made to extremely tight tolerances and are designed by a huge R&D group and checked by QA/QC groups whereas a small company like FS has a small team of workers making the parts and won't have near the level of R&D and quality control like a major automaker has. All fingers point to the FS DP being the issue.

It is also incredibly funny that they said don't force it and then later on said force it and bend the bracket. What?

A reputable company would have looked at those pictures and thought that maybe there was a manufacturing defect on their end and trust, but verify what the customer was saying. They could told the customer to ship it back at his cost, they'd inspect it and if there was a flaw, replace the DP and reimburse the shipping costs at the least. I've had to do this before with incorrectly welded exhaust parts.

In this instance, FS choose to tell their client/customer to squeeze on something that clearly wasn't built correctly. Either the bracket is welded wrong or one of the DP pipes are clocked slightly wrong. This is just bad business practice.

FS is very quick to tell everyone when they have a shipment of DPs coming in and get the while they are hot. Like I said earlier, the DPs are apparently hard to come by/manufacturer on their end thus they are apparently resistant to offering to replace them because in their mind, they've built hundreds of the so how could one not fit right and why loose a $1,400 sale? They build these things in a jig which usually alleviates issues like this but sometimes weird things happen. What most likely happened is the bracket was welded at the correct angle in the jig and then the welder took the DP out of the jig before the bracket weld fully cooled and the bracket shifted. It's a very common issue in welding.
Look at their yelp reviews or search some Porsche forums. They shipped out GT4 exhausts with the valves in backwards and told the customers to switch them on their own. It seems to be a pretty common practice for them to promise you world until there's an actual issue with their product. There's a good amount of people that complain about fitment problems And then they say it's been put on the car it can't be returned. Oh and did I mention how long we been in business 20 years and blah blah blah. It's all lip service. I'm not saying things don't go wrong but it's the way they handle their customers that have legitimate problems with their product is the issue. If it's a small amount of people that actually have issues like fabspeed claims wouldn't it be a better business plan to keep them happy and offer an exchange or refund? I get that it's a business but at the end of the day if only one person reads this that was thinking of buying a sport cat and changed his mind now you've lost more then just replacing a product or refunding someone . They could just as easily fixed the downpipe if it was a bad bracket or sell it as a used part on their website and keep op happy while also standing by their products as they say they do.
Appreciate 1
akkando5863.00
      05-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #34
kilox90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Austin Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdiel View Post
OP's bracket looks way off from the other forum members install pics and even Fabspeed's website pic.

I recently bought one (also labelled for M2 but ordered for M235i) and having it installed this Tue. Guess I'll be doing some comparing against these pics tonight.
Mines came labeled as an M2 as well but didn't have any issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 04:24 PM   #35
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C MT, '15 X5 Msport

Hindsight being 20/20, probably would have been worth the freight cost to send it back to FS to double check the alignment of the bracket in their jig. If it's off, fix it and reimburse shipping. If it's not, well, guess I'm not sure since your car was virgin.

Fabspeed, what is your recommended sequence of install? I've seen a few generic DP installs, most seem to recommend:

1 - Loosely clamp DP to turbo
2 - Loosely connect bracket
3 - Loosely clamp DP to exhaust
4 - Tighten DP to turbo
5 - Tighten bracket
6 - Tighten DP to turbo
7 - Reinstall Exhaust hanger
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #36
abdiel
Private
Rep

Here are pics of my downpipe.

The bracket looks more correct compared to OPs? Also, the bottom flange is different as well...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 08:25 PM   #37
CJ_M240
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i Coupe Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilox90 View Post
Mines came labeled as an M2 as well but didn't have any issues.
Mine as well but based on the trouble stevemg9 had there must be an issue with how his DP was fabricated. FS should have stepped up and sent him a new one, in my opinion, when he first had a fitment issue.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2018, 10:17 PM   #38
stevemg9
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlb5 View Post
Hindsight being 20/20, probably would have been worth the freight cost to send it back to FS to double check the alignment of the bracket in their jig. If it's off, fix it and reimburse shipping. If it's not, well, guess I'm not sure since your car was virgin.

Fabspeed, what is your recommended sequence of install? I've seen a few generic DP installs, most seem to recommend:

1 - Loosely clamp DP to turbo
2 - Loosely connect bracket
3 - Loosely clamp DP to exhaust
4 - Tighten DP to turbo
5 - Tighten bracket
6 - Tighten DP to turbo
7 - Reinstall Exhaust hanger
I 100% agree. If I were a little more knowledgeable at the time of my first attempt I would have more confidently been able to tell them that I seriously think the part is not built to spec. I’m sure if I was firm about that, they would have allowed me to exchange. But now after the time, effort and money I put into the install, it’s just not worth it to me to take it off again, just to have to do an install a third time. And if I’m being honest, the lead time was an issue too, I waited 4 weeks for the sport cat and didn’t feel like waiting another 4 weeks for a replacement.

Obviously I had to do the bracket last, but if you’re installing it by yourself, you probably need to loosely bolt the bracket first to hold the DP in place while you get the turbo clamp on. I had to squeeze the clamp with channel-locks just to get the tightening bolt started - it took both hands and this is why I could not get it installed on my first attempt. So you need a buddy or the bracket to hold it in place.

Quote:
Here are pics of my downpipe.

The bracket looks more correct compared to OPs? Also, the bottom flange is different as well...
Yeah to be honest the whole bottom pipe looks a little more straight but it could just be the lighting. But the angle of your bracket definitely looks different, based on the way mine needed to be bent you should be good to go!

abdiel, if you do a DIY install, try to take a few pictures of that bracket to show how it should line up. I think people reading this thread might appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_M235i View Post
Mine as well but based on the trouble stevemg9 had there must be an issue with how his DP was fabricated. FS should have stepped up and sent him a new one, in my opinion, when he first had a fitment issue.
Correct, I think it’s a pretty obvious conclusion that I just got a bad part, regardless of the fact that I got it to “fit”.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2018, 11:25 AM   #39
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
XutvJet,

We have tried to be very transparent throughout this situation to both the customer and to the community.

We have been in business for over 20 years and have prior knowledge that influenced our decision making process. It is standard practice to advise a customer to not make any alterations to a product until we have all the information possible and walk through some more common troubleshooting steps that we have seen arise in dealing with hundreds of these exhausts every year on hundreds of different vehicles. There is a path of escalation to follow.

At this point I feel as though we are both just rehashing things that have already been said.

You seem to feel strongly about this and I sent you a PM if you would like to discuss how we handled this situation. You are also more than welcome to call our Customer Service Manager, Brian, to discuss the situation in more depth as well. We take community feedback very seriously when we are making decisions for our business, always trying to find ways to improve both our products and the way we handle our business operations.
I don't see why anything needs to be taken to PM. This is public forum and I'm not breaking any rules by stating my opinion about FS business practices in this instance. Any reputable company would have asked to have the part shipped back for inspection. Yeah, there's a financial risk on your end that the installer made a mistake, but as a business owner, this is a cost of doing business. Let's be real here. How many of your parts that are sold are actually returned/replaced? I bet it's way below 5%.

The fact that you've been in business for 20 years and have sold hundreds/thousands of fabbed parts means nothing. Manufacturer's make mistakes all the time and the good ones investigate/fix the issue and make things right. For being in business for as long as you have, you'd think FS would know this.

Like was noted before, there are many reviews of FS denying there's anything wrong with their product and it's the customer's car that's the problem because "every car is different". That's BS. Car's are built to insanely tight tolerances. We're talking thousandths of an inch tolerances. This is 2018, not 1918. And there are the instances where FS told their customers to modify or take a apart and reassemble shoddy work. It's not right. You should take the parts back and fix them or other some sort of refund for people's trouble.
      05-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #40
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemg9 View Post
Correct, I think it’s a pretty obvious conclusion that I just got a bad part, regardless of the fact that I got it to “fit”.
You may want to consider running a hollow spacer between the brackets and then run bolt through the spacer and bolt everything together. That may help reduce some tension.

With that said, the likelihood that something will break with the way it's currently installed is probably low, but it is not ideal. If it were meant to be tight and twisted on, BMW would have designed it that way.
      05-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #41
abdiel
Private
Rep

Quote:
abdiel, if you do a DIY install, try to take a few pictures of that bracket to show how it should line up. I think people reading this thread might appreciate it.
I'm taking it to a shop (in Ann Arbor) recommended by Fabspeed. Hopefully there is no fitment issues because that shop is pricey.

Quote:
Side to side compare of our two parts shows two differences in bottom flange and upper tube length (even though overall length appears to be the same). Maybe you got a earlier build?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Dylan861330.00
      05-11-2018, 12:21 PM   #42
stevemg9
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm taking it to a shop (in Ann Arbor) recommended by Fabspeed. Hopefully there is no fitment issues because that shop is pricey.

Side to side compare of our two parts shows two differences in bottom flange and upper tube length (even though overall length appears to be the same). Maybe you got a earlier build?
Wow, thanks for putting them side by side, really appreciate the comparo. They actually appear more different than I was expecting. Looks like they used a completely different upper cone (turbo side) on mine. The material on mine was more matte and textured whereas yours is polished. Almost all of the other pictures I looked at show polished metal... wonder why mine is so different?

Maybe they ran out of cones and tried a different one for my DP and it skewed the jig??

The more I look at it, the more jenky that whole lower pipe (exhaust side) looks too... Probably also should have compared to more pictures before I installed. Dammit.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 02:36 PM   #43
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

Steve,

We recently made a slight update to our design for this product, just to the turbo-side cone. Before, we manufactured each cone using three separate pieces of metal welded together, and now we use a cast, making it a more repeatable and time efficient build. No need for concern that you got the older model, Abdiel, as quality and performance of the product are completely unaffected by this change.

The initial circumstances that you had is not unheard of with this particular product, and has always been resolved in the past by applying relatively simple troubleshooting techniques that we suggested, resulting in a perfect fit. The jig we use to manufacture these has no room for interpretation when it comes to where to place the bracket. There is a level of escalation to follow. You don’t take apart your computer before first seeing if restarting it solves the problem.

The pictures you shared with us definitely shows more tension on the bracket than intended. Though we think it is very unlikely to cause any issues to the part, we would absolutely like to help you get a perfect fit with your product.

You have stated that you really do not want to pour more money and time into this project, so we have been trying to figure out a solution that would work best in this scenario.

Would you be willing to send us your OEM part, at our cost, so we can have our R & D team reverse engineer it and see if there is any mid-year or year-to-year update that has occurred with the vehicle that we were not aware of? We would of course return the part after we are finished, along with a new updated version for you if there are any changes that need to be made.

Our Customer Service Manager, Brian, would love to talk to you about this over the phone if you are available. You can reach him at 215.626.4945 EX. 124

Phil
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #44
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Wow!! awesome job with the pics. You can definitely tell the angle is off on the ops. It seems your side by side comparison got them to see the light....better late then never I guess. Good luck with your install hopefully yours goes better.
Appreciate 0