THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan Stage 2 Dyno

05-07-2015, 08:10 AM   #45
Buckeyes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

A cattless downpipe adds more then 15 hp, especially on a turbo and a tune. Plus it's adds a ton of torque and a much faster spool.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #46
Luminous
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trcb777 View Post
A cattless downpipe adds more then 15 hp, especially on a turbo and a tune. Plus it's adds a ton of torque and a much faster spool.

these numbers are pretty useless in terms of evaluating the dinan stage 2. especially since there is no baseline.

all i know is i take dinan's power gain claims with a grain of salt when it comes to their piggyback tunes. when i dynoed my stage 1 the hp increase over baseline was 21hp with zero torque gain. clearly nowhere near what was advertised. when i complained to dinan all i got was attitude and zero assistance.

not to mention i don't understand why anyone would run a catless dp with a dinan tune. the only advantage of dinan is the warranty, which obviously is voided by using a catless dp. in my opinion, if warranty isn't a concern there are much more powerful and cost effective tunes available. just my 2 cents, glad OP is enjoying his car, thats all that really matters.

Last edited by Luminous; 05-07-2015 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-07-2015, 09:14 AM   #47
G-Mann
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post

these numbers are pretty useless in terms of evaluating the dinan stage 2. especially since there is no baseline.

all i know is i take dinan's power gain claims with a grain of salt when it comes to their piggyback tunes. when i dynoed my stage 1 the hp increase over baseline was 21hp with zero torque gain. clearly nowhere near what was advertised. when i complained to dinan all i got was attitude and zero assistance.

not to mention i don't understand why anyone would run a catless dp with a dinan tune. the only advantage of dinan is the warranty, which obviously is voided by using a catless dp. in my opinion, if warranty isn't a concern there are much more powerful and cost effective tunes available. just my 2 cents, glad OP is enjoying his car, thats all that really matters.
Damn on the results. Was that with their revised stage 1 tune or their initial launch tune?

Yeah so a bit of speculation given the OP's mods, still nice end results but it would be nice to see real world dyno of stage II alone to the rear wheels. Why is this information so hard to come by? It could only help sales if they can back up their claims.

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:28 AM   #48
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:

+1 Exactly but glad OP is enjoying his car as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Was a 335i w/ MPPK w/ Dinan Stage 1 which produced those numbers-- for all practical purposes the same engine and stock tuning as the M235i.

The 330 whp / 352 wtq noted above was actually included in the last page of the above link that references the numbers from Delnari.

The numbers of Delnari's run always seem to be quoted like they are gospel for the M235i which I don't quite get. A sample size of one does not make it a fact. I'll just leave it at that.
Delnari's run are actually a GOSPEL & everyone who's researching or comparing tunes should know about the money/time and work he has spent in helping the M235 community. He was 1 of the first to get the stage1 and compare it to another stage1 $400 tune and prove the Dinan numbers for the money wasn't worth it.
For some it is for those worried about warranty and want to throw their money then yes.

Quote:
honestly i don't see why everyone is so impressed with these numbers. OP stated he is running a catless dp.
I'm not especially not for a stage2 that's suppose to make good use of the DP.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:44 AM   #49
Buckeyes
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That's a great point. Why run a Dinan with a downpipe. Warranty is out the window and the Dinan tune doesn't clear the cel from the dp. So it's basically the most expensive piggyback with zero features or code clearing.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #50
jgmath
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, mineral grey

Garage List
2008 VW/GTI  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Thumbs up Dinan Stage 2 Dyno

Very impressive and nice to read about. I am very interested in acceleration improvements. My fist upgrade looks like it may be the Dinan Stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #51
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

What you all need now is someone with Dyno numbers from Stage 1 to upgrade to Stage 2 with no additional mods and see what the real world bump in power is.

Kinda miss all the turbo tuning fun I had prior; flat-6 normal aspiration is my new world now.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 08:36 PM   #52
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

Sometimes the car has to adapt to the tune. How long have you had the tune on the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 11:55 PM   #53
olaosunt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235,JB4/ER DP/BMS INTAKE/MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trcb777 View Post
Cat less DP did not gain me any HP/Torque with JB4-I compared before and after on same dyno, different day but similar conditions.
just saying.
I don't have time to post it again but if you search my posts you will see it.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2015, 08:43 AM   #54
Buckeyes
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaosunt View Post
Cat less DP did not gain me any HP/Torque with JB4-I compared before and after on same dyno, different day but similar conditions.
just saying.
I don't have time to post it again but if you search my posts you will see it.
Thats hard to believe but you did the dyno and have the numbers. That has to be an outlier going from a restrictive stock cat to a straight pipe and see zero gains. Crazy.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #55
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari
What you all need now is someone with Dyno numbers from Stage 1 to upgrade to Stage 2 with no additional mods and see what the real world bump in power is.

Kinda miss all the turbo tuning fun I had prior; flat-6 normal aspiration is my new world now.
Even though my car is a 335i (with MPPK), I have essentially the same engine as an M235i.

I was the car that dynoed at 330 WHP and 352 WTQ with the Dinan Stage 1....and yes, I did a before and after (my before was 304/308). Anyway, I'd be a perfect candidate for the stage 2 dyno to see the increase over stage 1....and I plan on doing it fairly soon. So I'll be sure to post my gains with the new intake and Stage 2.

What I think some of you are dismissing about Dinan is the fact that you're not only paying for the warranty, you're paying for all of the R&D that went into your tune. Like I said before in another post, my stage 1 is linear and and behaves even better than stock (on top of more power of course). Meaning....my car doesn't "fall off" between shifts, I don't have to shift early. It actually seems to shift even faster. Additionally, look at the area under the curve, not just the peak #s. Dinan's curve is very favorable at all rpm levels. Haven't always seen that with the competition.

If you haven't seen it yet, check this out:

http://<div class="youtube-playerCon.../iframe></div>" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<div class="y...ame></div></a>

Yes, I'm aware Steve doesn't run the company anymore, but you get the point.

One final note....if you think 2k (or 2.5k) for a Dinan tune that gives you 70-80 warrantied HP is a rip-off, try looking how much it costs for 80 additional hp in a 911.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2015, 11:55 AM   #56
JaF22MPower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari

Even though my car is a 335i (with MPPK), I have essentially the same engine as an M235i.

I was the car that dynoed at 330 WHP and 352 WTQ with the Dinan Stage 1....and yes, I did a before and after (my before was 304/308). Anyway, I'd be a perfect candidate for the stage 2 dyno to see the increase over stage 1....and I plan on doing it fairly soon. So I'll be sure to post my gains with the new intake and Stage 2.

What I think some of you are dismissing about Dinan is the fact that you're not only paying for the warranty, you're paying for all of the R&D that went into your tune. Like I said before in another post, my stage 1 is linear and and behaves even better than stock (on top of more power of course). Meaning....my car doesn't "fall off" between shifts, I don't have to shift early. It actually seems to shift even faster. Additionally, look at the area under the curve, not just the peak #s. Dinan's curve is very favorable at all rpm levels. Haven't always seen that with the competition.

If you haven't seen it yet, check this out:

http://<div class="youtube-playerCon.../iframe></div>" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<div class="y...ame></div></a>" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<a href="http...</div></a></a>

Yes, I'm aware Steve doesn't run the company anymore, but you get the point.

One final note....if you think 2k (or 2.5k) for a Dinan tune that gives you 70-80 warrantied HP is a rip-off, try looking how much it costs for 80 additional hp in a 911.
Very Well said. At the end of the day I put together a car that suited my needs and provided the me with the best driving experience in my opinion. I am aware of the money I put into it and the contradiction of having a catless downpipe with Dinan tune, but that is second to the enjoyment I get out of the car as a whole. I know there are more cost effective options with more features that can lead to more power, and I'm not putting those options down in any way. I'm very satisfied with my car and to each their own, not everyone has to follow the route I took.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2015, 12:52 PM   #57
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post

I thought you just showed you got 26hp not 70-80 hp for $2k? Baseline was 304 and Dinan Stage 1 was 330. I know the 26 is WHP but there isn't over 50% drivetrain loss. Not a Dinan hater, but I've yet to see a dyno matching the power claims they have on website. I'm sure it's smooth and a nice jump over stock and the warranty part is definitely worth it for many. Just think 70-80 hp without some combo of catless downpipes, running meth or adding intercooler is optimistic.

Enjoy the tune.
      05-08-2015, 02:11 PM   #58
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372
Quote:

I thought you just showed you got 26hp not 70-80 hp for $2k? Baseline was 304 and Dinan Stage 1 was 330. I know the 26 is WHP but there isn't over 50% drivetrain loss. Not a Dinan hater, but I've yet to see a dyno matching the power claims they have on website. I'm sure it's smooth and a nice jump over stock and the warranty part is definitely worth it for many. Just think 70-80 hp without some combo of catless downpipes, running meth or adding intercooler is optimistic.

Enjoy the tune.
Ok...fair enough. My 26 WHP equates to approx 30 crank hp....and that's stage 1. So if stage 2 can give me another 30 crank hp, then I guess it's more like 60 total crank hp. Still not bad....60 crank hp increase (warrantied) for roughly 2.5k.

Add to that all the other "intangible" benefits of the Dinan over the competition....

I might add...my initial 75-80 hp gain is legitimate on a base 335i (as opposed to an MPPK 335i or M235i).
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #59
J-Sud
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372
Quote:

Enjoy the tune.
Ok...fair enough. My 26 WHP equates to approx 30 crank hp....and that's stage 1. So if stage 2 can give me another 30 crank hp, then I guess it's more like 60 total crank hp. Still not bad....60 crank hp increase (warrantied) for roughly 2.5k.

Add to that all the other "intangible" benefits of the Dinan over the competition....

I might add...my initial 75-80 hp gain is legitimate on a base 335i (as opposed to an MPPK 335i or M235i).
Not to mention stage 3 will be roughly $2500 + tax and labor, but should get the 70-80hp over the mppk/m235i.

That's the route I'm going.
      05-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #60
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Quote:

This is funny coming from someone who sold the tune without mentioning that the warranty could not be transferred. Fortunately, as someone said above, the level of R and D that goes into the DINAN setup is so obviously superior to the other piggy backs out there. You can tell just by looking at it, so even without a warranty I would feel much more comfortable with DINAN over anything else. I don't even plan on doing a dyno, but based on my very limited drive time stg. 2 is excellent. I was running the scorcher previously, which provided a nice boost over stock, but wanted substantially more power. After installing stage 2, I'm going to need new tires to keep the car on the road. The power is smooth and immediate, throwing you back in your seat. I'll post some more, once I have a chance to really push the car.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2015, 01:26 PM   #61
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaF22MPower View Post
Nope. Have not experienced anything unpleasant yet.
Thanks for the install reccommendation. Those guys took good care of the car and were able to get all the issues worked out. I couldn't be happier with the results. Enjoy the car!

RETIRED:
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 05:43 PM   #62
JaF22MPower
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmm235i View Post
Thanks for the install reccommendation. Those guys took good care of the car and were able to get all the issues worked out. I couldn't be happier with the results. Enjoy the car!
Great! You ended up taking it over to Foreign Affairs?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #63
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yup, Jared helped me out, they had some pretty amazing cars in there. Its amazing how hard it is to find people willing to give customer service. Why can't the dealership be like this, with knowledgable people that care. Definitely felt like my car was in good hands there and would recommend them to anyone in the South Florida area. Thanks again.

RETIRED:
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #64
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Yup, Jared helped me out, they had some pretty amazing cars in there. Its amazing how hard it is to find people willing to give customer service. Why can't the dealership be like this, with knowledgable people that care. Definitely felt like my car was in good hands there and would recommend them to anyone in the South Florida area. Thanks again.
cause dealerships are for selling cars
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 09:20 PM   #65
JaF22MPower
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmm235i
Quote:
Awesome! Yeah Jared is great. I'm glad it was a positive for you. And they do indeed have some pretty neat cars
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 10:22 PM   #66
Luminous
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
glad to hear you got it installed and are enjoying the tune!
Appreciate 0