THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning What's everyones MHD stage 2+ boost PSI?

04-17-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

What's everyones MHD stage 2+ boost PSI?

Hey everyone,

Just recently went FBO with my 16 M235i, I got my Wagner EVO II intercooler in and it woke the car up a lot. Before i had my intercooler MHD was telling me that i was hitting 18.2psi with spikes of 20psi on WOT runs. (2nd to 7th) Now with the intercooler in i'm only touching 16.2 MAYBE 16.9lbs on most WOT runs. Now, i know that because the IAT's are a lot lower the turbo doesn't have to spin as fast to meet the same boost target vs the hotter less dense air. My question is, What is everyone hitting with their MHD stage 2+ tunes? a couple forum members and I were talking about i in another thread... I know this is a OTS tune so results can vary...just curious what everyone else sees.

If the car is really only hitting 16.2lbs on peak i can't wait to see how much better it gets with a custom tune. I'm looking to go with a Jordan custom tune here soon and hopefully push as much boost as we can out of it on 94 pump. Would probably do a 100/94 mix as well for a "race" sort of tune too.
I'm quite impressed with how she kicks at only 16.2lbs of boost. 24lbs is gonna be another world.

let me know what your targets are, any dyno info is also helpful!

cheers!
16 M235xi 8ZF Black on Red FBO: Xhp trans tune -BMS Intake - VRSF Catless DownPipe - VRSF CP - VRSF Muffler delete/resonator - n22 plugs - MHD stage 2+ 95map - Wagner EVO II Preformace IC - Rear seat delete - weight reduction/stripping -FTP 18.5in rims - Hawk HPS front pads - StopTech STR 660 fluid
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 05:27 PM   #2
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep

Guess everyone's stock 🤷*♂️
16 M235xi 8ZF Black on Red FBO: Xhp trans tune -BMS Intake - VRSF Catless DownPipe - VRSF CP - VRSF Muffler delete/resonator - n22 plugs - MHD stage 2+ 95map - Wagner EVO II Preformace IC - Rear seat delete - weight reduction/stripping -FTP 18.5in rims - Hawk HPS front pads - StopTech STR 660 fluid
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 11:21 AM   #3
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

There are two basic tuning strategies, boost based and load based.
Subaru uses boost based meaning the you set a target boost and try to achieve that boost.
BMW uses load based tuning and the ECU will try to attain requested load with the minimal amount of fuel, timing and boost.
So, my guess is that the efficiency of the upgraded intercooler has allowed for less boost to achieve the requested load.
That's my 2 cents.
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
2009 335XI FBO / COBB / E30
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 11:36 AM   #4
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnat View Post
There are two basic tuning strategies, boost based and load based.
Subaru uses boost based meaning the you set a target boost and try to achieve that boost.
BMW uses load based tuning and the ECU will try to attain requested load with the minimal amount of fuel, timing and boost.
So, my guess is that the efficiency of the upgraded intercooler has allowed for less boost to achieve the requested load.
That's my 2 cents.
Thanks for that,

I did say in my post that I know for a fact my dme is asking for less boost because of the efficiency of my new intercooler. What I'm wondering is what everyone else is running on their tunes and if this seems to run In one with how mines preforming.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 01:21 PM   #5
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_otherM235i View Post
Thanks for that,

I did say in my post that I know for a fact my dme is asking for less boost because of the efficiency of my new intercooler. What I'm wondering is what everyone else is running on their tunes and if this seems to run In one with how mines preforming.
It's so variable as turbo boost is dependent on IATs, oxygen density, engine temp, and even gear ratio. Turbos are load dependent and will make different levels of boost depending on the load created by the gear. Taller gear generate a ton more load so they generate more boost.

I've logged the crap out of the my M235 6MT when it was stock. Peak boost varied from 7 to 11 psi depending on gear and outside temp. I could occasionally see a 12 psi spike on hard shifts. In 50 to 70 degree temps and at 1100' elevation, my stock M235 sees ~9-10 psi in a 3rd gear pull. In 80+ degree temps, I would routinely see 10-11 psi.

Standard N55s see around 7-8 psi. The MPPK tuned N55s like the one found in the M235 typically has +2 psi. So my boost numbers are consistent with what we know about the MPPK tune.

Assuming you're doing pulls near a 1:1 gear, the engine isn't heat soaked, the ambient temps are in the 50-70 degree range, and your around 1,500' or less of elevation, your MHD Stage 2 M235 boost numbers of around 16 psi is normal and consistent what I've seen for MHD Stage 2 tuned cars. Remember, your MPPK tune is bypassed which means it's Stage 2 tune is not different from a standard N55 that running the MHD Stage 2 tune.

Stock M2 N55s run ~12 psi and the overboost function can get them around 14 psi. We also know that M2 N55s can suffer from bad heat soak when driven hard and power number suffer badly under these conditions. The stock boost numbers of the M2 N55 should give you a sense of where BMW sees the long-term boost reliability threshold of the EWG N55. IMO, you're walking on egg shells if aiming for more than 18 psi on the stock turbo, even with fuel additives like meth or ethanol. The stock turbo simply isn't designed to consistently run boost beyond 16 psi and is most happy in the 14 to 15 psi range. 20+ psi? No freaking way. You bought the wrong car at that point.
      04-19-2020, 01:30 PM   #6
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_otherM235i View Post
Thanks for that,

It's so variable as turbo boost is dependent on IATs, oxygen density, engine temp, and even gear ratio. Turbos are load dependent and will make different levels of boost depending on the load created by the gear. Taller gear generate a ton more load so they generate more boost.

I've logged the crap out of the my M235 6MT when it was stock. Peak boost varied from 7 to 11 psi depending on gear and outside temp. I could occasionally see a 12 psi spike on hard shifts. In 50 to 70 degree temps and at 1100' elevation, my stock M235 sees ~9-10 psi in a 3rd gear pull. In 80+ degree temps, I would routinely see 10-11 psi.

Standard N55s see around 7-8 psi. The MPPK tuned N55s like the one found in the M235 typically has +2 psi. So my boost numbers are consistent with what we know about the MPPK tune.

Assuming you're doing pulls near a 1:1 gear, the engine isn't heat soaked, the ambient temps are in the 50-70 degree range, and your around 1,500' or less of elevation, your MHD Stage 2 M235 boost numbers of around 16 psi is normal and consistent what I've seen for MHD Stage 2 tuned cars. Remember, your MPPK tune is bypassed which means it's Stage 2 tune is not different from a standard N55 that running the MHD Stage 2 tune.

Stock M2 N55s run ~12 psi and the overboost function can get them around 14 psi. We also know that M2 N55s can suffer from bad heat soak when driven hard and power number suffer badly under these conditions. The stock boost numbers of the M2 N55 should give you a sense of where BMW sees the long-term boost reliability threshold of the EWG N55. IMO, you're walking on egg shells if aiming for more than 18 psi on the stock turbo, even with fuel additives like meth or ethanol. The stock turbo simply isn't designed to consistently run boost beyond 16 psi and is most happy in the 14 to 15 psi range. 20+ psi, no freaking way.
Hey thanks for your comment I really appreciate your insight. I've had friends with N55s and heard everything around the block about boost in our little turbos. I know for a fact your risking a lot when going over 20lbs I'd boost with our set ups. My car isn't a daily so I'd love to push the limits of what it can do. I plan to track the car as well, a custom tune should get me even higher with boost but how much more power it'll make vs stress to turbo is what I'm wondering. 16psi doesn't seem like a lot and I've seen pwg N55s go as high as 24lbs and spit well over 400wheel on a dyno, (mind your that's with A little E30)

I do plan to meth this car up at some point this year, I can't really get ahold of e85 out here in Ontario. I might think about going PS2 at some point but i dont know how long I'll have the car. I'd love to get the car to break the 400wheel bridge on pump if I could. I guess that's something the tuner and I will have to figure out.

I do find that my car likes to over boost almost all the time by at least 1psi, why is this? And what's your car running for boost?

also my car is without the MPPK, its just a standard M235xi

Last edited by The_otherM235i; 04-19-2020 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 02:26 PM   #7
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep

Maybe you'd care to check out a log i did the other day,

here is a log i did, the spike at the start is from me doing a U turn... I believe this is a first to 6th pull. Also, i'm not 100% sure but those timing corrections might be from me having an auto trans but again not 100% sure. LMK how this looks.
https://datazap.me/u/thatm235i/fbo-s...=0&data=4-7-14
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 06:25 PM   #8
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep

Here is another one done today.

https://datazap.me/u/thatm235i/mhd-s...og=0&data=4-25

This is the exact same, only difference with this log is in MHD i selected 93 octane instead of 95. See any significant difference? Car felt noticeably slower on 93 as apposed to 95.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 04:35 AM   #9
MoneyShifter
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 6MT M235i

I have manual 2016 m235i with a VRSF downpipe, stage 2+ clutch, lightweight flywheel, and stage 2 tune and the most boost I've seen so far with the MHD gauge was around 16.5psi (not sure exactly how much in the decimal range) nothing more than that. But I don't track the car and ive only really opened her up on the highway a few times.

ive just ordered the Mishimoto FMIC, BMS air intake, and VRSF charge pipe and going to go to stage 2+ when I get them, ill post what I see for the boost once I get them installed and go on the MHD stage 2+ tune
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 05:22 AM   #10
BostonM235xi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235xi

Safely and efficiently 18-19 PSI is maxed out for a N55 EWG with stock turbo and fuel.
I have a 2016 M235 with ever damn bolt on and custom tune and that's where I maxed out at.
You can do 20-21 but you won't make more power...
      11-21-2020, 07:27 PM   #11
T-Bone18
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyShifter View Post
I have manual 2016 m235i with a VRSF downpipe, stage 2+ clutch, lightweight flywheel, and stage 2 tune and the most boost I've seen so far with the MHD gauge was around 16.5psi (not sure exactly how much in the decimal range) nothing more than that. But I don't track the car and ive only really opened her up on the highway a few times.

ive just ordered the Mishimoto FMIC, BMS air intake, and VRSF charge pipe and going to go to stage 2+ when I get them, ill post what I see for the boost once I get them installed and go on the MHD stage 2+ tune
How is the car ? Did you ever finish going Stage2+ with your upgrade ?
just curious to see how you like it now and you have some dyno sheet.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 11:32 PM   #12
MoneyShifter
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 6MT M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone18 View Post
How is the car ? Did you ever finish going Stage2+ with your upgrade ?
just curious to see how you like it now and you have some dyno sheet.
My bad haven't been on for a long time, i just installed the Intercooler, chargepipe, air intake and coilovers like 3 months ago and I love it. Car feels alot more responsive. But always itching for more lol now I have a PURE stage 2 turbo sitting in my room waiting to be installed probably next year. No dyno sheets yet tho, I'll do that once I go for a custom tune
Appreciate 0