THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Gearbox Whine???

01-09-2020, 05:30 PM   #1
trilax59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 LCI

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Update:

The car was returned back to me as the dealership claimed there was no mechanical issues with the car and the noise was normal for my model. They suspected it had something to do with the way air traveled around the M-performance exhaust. The noise is still present and I am training myself to ignore the sound.

Hey everyone,

I have a 2016 M235i RWD ZF8 auto with 273xx miles on it. I picked up the car CPO in August of 2019. Since I bought the car, I noticed there was a whine sound in 2nd gear that came on at 2600RPM and gradually got louder until about 3100RPM. This whine is evident in every engine driving mode, automatic transmission mode, sport automatic mode, and manual mode. I haven't had time until recently to bring it to the dealership. I dropped it off at the dealership on December 23rd and got a call this morning (January 9th) that the car was ready. They informed me that they had replaced the entire transmission under warranty.

I pick up the car, deal with the paper work, and drive home. On my way home, I drove the car like a baby to not put any stress on the new transmission and to let it break in. However, right before I got home, I decided to replicate the previous issue to see if it was fixed. To my surprise, the whine sound was still there in 2nd gear at the same RPM range. I immediately drove it back to the dealer and went on a drive with one of the techs (shop foreman was out today). We went on a quiet road and went through all the gears. We heard the whine sound in 2nd gear, as expected, and also heard the same sound ever so slightly at 2950-3050RPM in 4th gear. The sound was not evident in any of the other gears.

They are taking my car in and going to run more tests to determine the cause of the sound. I am absolutely dumbfounded what the issue could possibly be, considering the sound is gear specific. I would think a possible turbo or differential issue, but the sound is not present in any other gears or at other RPMs from previously stated. I doubt it's a transmission issue because they just replaced it, unless they lied that they replaced it and never actually did...

The car is under warranty so BMW will take of everything. However, does anybody have any idea what the issue could possibly be?

Appreciate any input or advice in advance!

-Ryan
      01-14-2020, 07:51 AM   #2
skiddyrow
Rep
Drives: 2015 Melbourne Rot M235i

I find it interesting in the span of ~2 weeks, especially over christmas, they were able to get you a transmission, replace it, and send it out. it took me 2 weeks to get a new wiring harness for a tail light.

I digress, I've looked into this cause my car has it as well and apparently its pretty common. Gear 2 and 5 whine. I've read leaking rear seal but i doubt it.

I've had the car for 2 years now and it hasn't got worse. The only time its been bad was at the track and the car sounded like it was supercharged, it was whining that bad.

To my knowledge there hasn't been any catastrophic failures.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #3
trilax59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddyrow View Post
I find it interesting in the span of ~2 weeks, especially over christmas, they were able to get you a transmission, replace it, and send it out. it took me 2 weeks to get a new wiring harness for a tail light.

I digress, I've looked into this cause my car has it as well and apparently its pretty common. Gear 2 and 5 whine. I've read leaking rear seal but i doubt it.

I've had the car for 2 years now and it hasn't got worse. The only time its been bad was at the track and the car sounded like it was supercharged, it was whining that bad.

To my knowledge there hasn't been any catastrophic failures.
It hasn't really impacted drivability, rather than me short shifting in second gear because I feel like I'm damaging the transmission revving it higher than 3K RPM. I'm financing the car and it is still under its new car warranty, so I want to make sure I can get any and all issues taken care of before it's on my dime.

They are still trying to figure out the issue. I will update the thread once they get back to me.
      01-27-2020, 02:38 PM   #4
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilax59 View Post
Hey everyone,

I have a 2016 M235i RWD ZF8 auto with 273xx miles on it. I picked up the car CPO in August of 2019. Since I bought the car, I noticed there was a whine sound in 2nd gear that came on at 2600RPM and gradually got louder until about 3100RPM. This whine is evident in every engine driving mode, automatic transmission mode, sport automatic mode, and manual mode. I haven't had time until recently to bring it to the dealership. I dropped it off at the dealership on December 23rd and got a call this morning (January 9th) that the car was ready. They informed me that they had replaced the entire transmission under warranty.

I pick up the car, deal with the paper work, and drive home. On my way home, I drove the car like a baby to not put any stress on the new transmission and to let it break in. However, right before I got home, I decided to replicate the previous issue to see if it was fixed. To my surprise, the whine sound was still there in 2nd gear at the same RPM range. I immediately drove it back to the dealer and went on a drive with one of the techs (shop foreman was out today). We went on a quiet road and went through all the gears. We heard the whine sound in 2nd gear, as expected, and also heard the same sound ever so slightly at 2950-3050RPM in 4th gear. The sound was not evident in any of the other gears.

They are taking my car in and going to run more tests to determine the cause of the sound. I am absolutely dumbfounded what the issue could possibly be, considering the sound is gear specific. I would think a possible turbo or differential issue, but the sound is not present in any other gears or at other RPMs from previously stated. I doubt it's a transmission issue because they just replaced it, unless they lied that they replaced it and never actually did...

The car is under warranty so BMW will take of everything. However, does anybody have any idea what the issue could possibly be?

Appreciate any input or advice in advance!

-Ryan
Interesting, I have the same car and I get a loud "bump" or "thud" noise sometimes if I am WOT and shift hard at redline but have never had a gear whine like you describe.

Will be interesting to hear what they say. I also find it interesting they were able to do that entire swap so fast and you have all the exact symptoms as before..

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 05:34 AM   #5
Rex Tetron
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Update:

The car was returned back to me as the dealership claimed there was no mechanical issues with the car and the noise was normal for my model. They suspected it had something to do with the way air traveled around the M-performance exhaust. The noise is still present and I am training myself to ignore the sound.

-Ryan
Hello,

I have recently bought an 2011 E90 335i xdrive and I'm having the same issue. Already I had the dealer take a look of it and they of course said that it's "normal turbo sound". I don't agree at all and will continue to try to solve this one since I bought a warranty to the car.

Anyhow, to this possible solution, I found a similar/same problem description from the BMW X forums. There's one bloke who had an X6 with N55 engine and auto gearbox. He got the problem solved and it was related to the catalytic converters that were somehow partially blocked. So it could be that your dealership's analysis are not necessarily wrong?

Here's a link to the thread: https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471047 - the solution is described in message #24
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2020, 10:02 AM   #6
trilax59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Tetron View Post
Quote:
Update:

-Ryan
Hello,

I have recently bought an 2011 E90 335i xdrive and I'm having the same issue. Already I had the dealer take a look of it and they of course said that it's "normal turbo sound". I don't agree at all and will continue to try to solve this one since I bought a warranty to the car.

Anyhow, to this possible solution, I found a similar/same problem description from the BMW X forums. There's one bloke who had an X6 with N55 engine and auto gearbox. He got the problem solved and it was related to the catalytic converters that were somehow partially blocked. So it could be that your dealership's analysis are not necessarily wrong?

Here's a link to the thread: https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471047 - the solution is described in message #24
Thank you! I will take a look into this. They assured me that it wasn't the transmission or the turbo, but rather the sound was common with the M performance exhaust. The cats could make sense why they believe it was a byproduct of the exhaust.

Update: Forgot to update thread, but in May BMW checked the cats and confirmed they were in good condition. Sound is still present.
      02-10-2023, 10:41 AM   #7
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: f32 n55

sorry to bring up an old thread but i have the exact same symptoms as OP and already changed the ZF auto fluid a couple months back in November but still have th whine in 2nd (then it go's away). Anyone ever figure out what this was? im thinking to change the diff fluids next with the transfer case fluid (I have xdrive)?
      02-10-2023, 07:09 PM   #8
delvec03
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Sport/ DSB

In a similar situation, but I've been living with it for 70k mi with no issues other than some slight additional whine haha. ..

My 2015 228i 6mt FBO stage 2 bm3 has a while at 60-70 mph in 6th gear. Only under load. Mins boggling. I've replaced some stuff and tweaked some stuff and it's still there not hurting anyone.
.it's also developed a slightly louder whine in 3rd gear only under heavy acceleration. I thought it was the timing chain, but the accel whine only happens in 3rd gear and no others, also hasn't gotten worse.

Tis life. She runs great! Hoping to get close to 300k like yourself!
Appreciate 0