THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning charge pipes

02-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #23
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnorth View Post
I've done quite a bit of research and I still don't find the broken pipes... except for with the people using tuning boxes that "fake" the boost to be way too low to what it actually is...

The m235i racing uses the stock pipe... and if you've seen how hard they race those in the cup, then I wonder if it is the tuning boxes that creates the problem you are talking about? How come they can race as hard as they do with with the 235ir's with no failure and you claim it happens all the time? I'd love to be wrong, but it is hard to ignore what I see and suspect that "overboost" is the problem?
Would love to see pics of the race car using the stock pipe.

Edit: Think I found one, but it's hard to tell. Looks like OEM pipe. But the series rules they race in may not allow them to upgrade it. Doesn't mean they don't change it out after each race.

Last edited by Anthony235; 02-09-2017 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 06:34 PM   #24
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

The 235IR race car does use stock everything.
Its also DE-TUNED to 300whp, so its running less boost that a stock 235.

Much less risk of it breaking or popping. When you tune your car and double the stock psi, you need to change the charge pipe.

Or don't, than when it does brake, you'll have a vision of this thread to haunt you forever...

1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2017, 06:35 PM   #25
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post

Much less risk of it breaking or popping. When you tune your car and double the stock psi, you need to change the charge pipe.

Or don't, than when it does brake, you'll have a vision of this thread to haunt you forever...

Haha thanks man
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 09:55 PM   #26
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post

The BMW Racing models are rated at 333hp and 330tq. If they're making 300whp, then that means they're making the same stock power as we see in the street cars which means they're making the same boost. There are numerous dynojets showing 300-310whp stock with autos showing on the lower end. All BMW M235 Racing models are autos sooooooo....

I've done the research. I've found one instance of an M235 owner reporting a blown charge pipe and he was running significant boost. That's it.

I'm surprised no one has developed a simple collar to go around charge pipe at the throttle body mounting point. That's where the CPs typically fail on other BMWs. A 2 inch wide hinged collar that wraps around the failure point would be so easy to develop and install. The failure is caused by heat, expansion, high boost, and the engine torquing in its mounts over time. The collar would fix this rather than screwing around with a metal pipe that heat soaks.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 01:17 AM   #27
Pnorth
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M235i & X1 2.0d

Garage List
Detuning... my EU spec has 326hp and the racing has 333hp? Then, if I also look at tuners versions of cars you can order brand new... AC Schnitzer, Manhart, Lightweight, Tuningwerk, Versus, etc., none of them replaces the charge pipe... Wouldn't you think that if this was as weak of a link as those who offers charge pipes wants it to be, then all of these guys would change it? I mean, we're talking cars with more than 400hp here and I can't imagine anyone of them selling a brand new car with such a weak link in it. That would be a shot to the head... or am I, and the guys above, missing something here? I think that what was created as a demand from the suppliers of charge pipes for the n54 was carried forward as they needed to see their business continue for the n55. Scaring people is the easiest thing in the world.

Enjoy this video, up till it all ends in a crash, of a guy with a stock charge pipe. If any one should blow one it is him and his pals... they all use stock though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GWhSYQuoEBo

Last edited by Pnorth; 02-10-2017 at 01:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 09:29 AM   #28
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

The PWC m235's, which i have sat in, been up close etc have to be detuned in order to meet the requirements for the TC class.

I cant speak to the Cup series.

I also have no idea why ppl are defending a stock piece of plastic. I ripped all the plastic out and replaced with the ER andonized pipes first week i had the car because its been a known issue since the n54's.

If you think your stock will do the job, good on ya. Everyone here is trying to help you avoid a problem.

<- my car running pretty hard. Popped charge pipe at same track in August the year before.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic

Last edited by bryan_G01; 02-10-2017 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2017, 09:48 AM   #29
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Not sure why there is still such a debate.

If your car is stock then don't change it out. Use your warranty if it breaks. Just be prepared to maybe be stranded on the side of the road with roadside assistance. Best case you can still limp the car to the dealer. Worse case a piece of the CP gets sucked into the throttle body. People on here have already mentioned first hand accounts of stock cars breaking theirs.

If you mod the car do it the same time you do your intercooler and never worry about it.
Appreciate 2
bryan_G011164.50
      02-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #30
Pnorth
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M235i & X1 2.0d

Garage List
I am not opposing those who want to change their plastic and if I can establish this to be a problem even on a ecu tune - that I have myself - I will bow in the dust and run and do it myself :-) I am rather debating why many seems to see or experience a problem in the US when most European tuners go quite a bit above 400hp and still don't see or experience the same problem. This is what arises my "doubt". It seems that most tuners here does an Ecu tune and not a box that fools the Ecu to think the boost is at a much lower level than it actually is and I am wondering if that might be why so many are experiencing the problems that seems to be presented here. Then again, it would be interesting to do a poll - how many has a broken pipe and what kind of tune do they have. Just trying to find some answers and learn.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #31
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

It does surprise me that these charge pipes were not engineered to handle at least 2x stock boost levels or more as a precautionary measure. Any number or combination of Elevated boost levels, excessive heat, stress, varying pressure, plus temperature change and expansion/contraction could be causing premature failure. Otherwise, there would not be people having issues. I have been running 14-16lbs for the last 8,000 mi with no noticeable problems. I suppose it could be cracked but definitely not losing any significant amount under boost. I have a VRSF C.P. Ready to go in along with the 6" Race I.C. when this crap weather breaks. Im not doubting the weakness of the stock C.P. Actually I'm in agreement with others that some get lucky and some don't. I just wonder why BMW, with a known issue, let this go and didn't modify to make them more durable especially under stock boost levels.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 08:42 PM   #32
DILONIKA
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M23i 6MT | 330i ZHP 6MT

I just had my stock charge pipe break at the fitting running a JB4 on Maps 1 and 2. Did it on the highway and put my car into limp mode because of the extra air. So the consensus is dealer won't mind?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 11:34 PM   #33
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILONIKA View Post
I just had my stock charge pipe break at the fitting running a JB4 on Maps 1 and 2. Did it on the highway and put my car into limp mode because of the extra air. So the consensus is dealer won't mind?
Remove your tune before you take it in and keep your fingers crossed. It'll bust again so why not just order an aftermarket one?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:44 AM   #34
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnorth View Post
I am not opposing those who want to change their plastic and if I can establish this to be a problem even on a ecu tune - that I have myself - I will bow in the dust and run and do it myself :-) I am rather debating why many seems to see or experience a problem in the US when most European tuners go quite a bit above 400hp and still don't see or experience the same problem. This is what arises my "doubt". It seems that most tuners here does an Ecu tune and not a box that fools the Ecu to think the boost is at a much lower level than it actually is and I am wondering if that might be why so many are experiencing the problems that seems to be presented here. Then again, it would be interesting to do a poll - how many has a broken pipe and what kind of tune do they have. Just trying to find some answers and learn.
why argue with what has been said? i have an m135i iv blown two plastics charge pipes and the car was stock then. my brother has a m235i and has blown 1 charge pipe car is stock as well and both cars have 40000km on them. i replaced mine when i went FBO its so easy to do when fitting the cooler.

to correct you, You also state the European tuners ecu tune the car(while there are a lot that do) and not a box that fools the ecu.... of the ones you mentioned ac schnitzer and manhart both use plug and play systems?

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 04:00 PM   #35
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpoomanchu View Post
It does surprise me that these charge pipes were not engineered to handle at least 2x stock boost levels or more as a precautionary measure. Any number or combination of Elevated boost levels, excessive heat, stress, varying pressure, plus temperature change and expansion/contraction could be causing premature failure. Otherwise, there would not be people having issues. I have been running 14-16lbs for the last 8,000 mi with no noticeable problems. I suppose it could be cracked but definitely not losing any significant amount under boost. I have a VRSF C.P. Ready to go in along with the 6" Race I.C. when this crap weather breaks. Im not doubting the weakness of the stock C.P. Actually I'm in agreement with others that some get lucky and some don't. I just wonder why BMW, with a known issue, let this go and didn't modify to make them more durable especially under stock boost levels.
Funny thing about the CP's is they had them right in the early years 07-08 then they started making them worse in 09.
Appreciate 0