THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning (Disregard found info) DownPipe General Question

08-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #1
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i,13MustangGT,84C10,99A8

(Disregard found info) DownPipe General Question

Can someone please provide the CONs with putting a downpipe on the car? I'm thinking of getting a new catted dp and I'd like to understand what the risks are with doing so.

I am running Dinan but warranty will eventually run out with them too.

My mods so far are Stage 2 Dinan, CAI and Dinan "muffler".

thanks

Last edited by BLK235iNJ; 08-04-2015 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK235iNJ View Post
Can someone please provide the CONs with putting a downpipe on the car? I'm thinking of getting a new catted dp and I'd like to understand what the risks are with doing so.

I am running Dinan but warranty will eventually run out with them too.

My mods so far are Stage 2 Dinan, CAI and Dinan "muffler".

thanks
There are a few downsides. First, it may (or may not) be illegal to mess with your catalytic converter, depending on your state. Also, depending on what your state does, you may not pass smog with an aftermarket cat.

Second, it will be noisier. Generally, a catted downpipe is quieter than a cat-bypass pipe. However, people tend to like the noise (most of the time), and I don't find that it causes any drone on the highway (I have a catted downpipe).

Third, if you get a cat-bypass pipe, your exhaust will smell (faintly) of fuel. Without the catalytic converter, the exhaust doesn't get that "after-burn" in which the fuel smell is stripped out of your exhaust. It bothers some people, but not everyone. It's usually not a big deal.

Fourth, it is possible that your aftermarket cat will fail at some point in the future and cause a check engine light -- a cat-bypass pipe will always throw a check engine light (Code P420, unless you can code out the light with a JB4 or a tune). I know that it is better to get a higher quality cat than a cheap one (lasts longer, does a better job of scrubbing emissions, etc.), but I don't know how long they last.

However, on the up side, it's really the only bottle-neck in our exhaust system. Getting a downpipe will yield you some significant horsepower and torque gains, as well as sharpen your throttle response, reduce some turbo lag, etc., all from reducing backpressure on the turbo. It's a noticeable difference, at least in my experience.
      08-04-2015, 10:41 PM   #3
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i,13MustangGT,84C10,99A8

Do i need any supporting mods if I go catted? I plugged in my obdII sensor in today and noticed the car runs pretty hot 221 at one point. Will this mod end up generating more heat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
There are a few downsides. First, it may (or may not) be illegal to mess with your catalytic converter, depending on your state. Also, depending on what your state does, you may not pass smog with an aftermarket cat.

Second, it will be noisier. Generally, a catted downpipe is quieter than a cat-bypass pipe. However, people tend to like the noise (most of the time), and I don't find that it causes any drone on the highway (I have a catted downpipe).

Third, if you get a cat-bypass pipe, your exhaust will smell (faintly) of fuel. Without the catalytic converter, the exhaust doesn't get that "after-burn" in which the fuel smell is stripped out of your exhaust. It bothers some people, but not everyone. It's usually not a big deal.

Fourth, it is possible that your aftermarket cat will fail at some point in the future and cause a check engine light -- a cat-bypass pipe will always throw a check engine light (Code P420, unless you can code out the light with a JB4 or a tune). I know that it is better to get a higher quality cat than a cheap one (lasts longer, does a better job of scrubbing emissions, etc.), but I don't know how long they last.

However, on the up side, it's really the only bottle-neck in our exhaust system. Getting a downpipe will yield you some significant horsepower and torque gains, as well as sharpen your throttle response, reduce some turbo lag, etc., all from reducing backpressure on the turbo. It's a noticeable difference, at least in my experience.
Appreciate 0