THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Square Setup for longer tire life, adequate handling

06-04-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
analemma
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230i Coupe, Glacier Silver

Square Setup for longer tire life, adequate handling

I've got a one-year-old 230i with the usual staggered wheels and Michelin Super Sport ? tires. (non run-flat M-sport equipment) I didn't really realize until I changed my winters off this spring how smooth these things really are.
Now I'm reading that I can expect really limited tire life with these, and of course am limited in my rotation options.

I'd like to replace these with a square setup to permit tire rotation and with longer-life tires. I'm not an aggressive driver, usually.

Weather here is dry summers with occasional light rain, and heavy rain in fall and spring.

I found the 17x7 rims with winters just fine (factory-recommended Continentals) on an extended road trip.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I considered the same thing, but in the long run, the extra cost of a new set of wheels was worse than potentially losing out on uneven tires - don't do this just to save tire life, but if you want new rims it may make sense. You also didn't say if x-drive or not - if RWD, much less likely you will 'waste' tires, since you can replace one axle at a time regardless of the wear at the other end. The benefits of rotation depend on how fast you end up wearing out the MPSS's, and if it is uneven front-back (reports are all over on this - most common is fronts going bad from heavy cornering loads, but others burn back tires faster from burnouts or heavy acceleration; others report fairly even wear). When you get close to needing to replace something you will have a better idea of this, and plenty of time to shop rims in the meantime.

When it is time to replace the MPSS, the Conti extremecontactsports seem to have a slight edge in wet conditions, and a little cheaper; the MP4S is hot on their heels, though, so probably indistinguishable differences. Or you could go w/ a performance all season for more longevity and even better wet traction, but at the loss of some dry traction. A 17" square setup is also widely recommended for extra pothole durability.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
Portadown95
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i with THP, Sport Pack

Don't do it. Staggered setup with Michelin Pilot super sport summer tires makes a great car even better.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      06-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portadown95 View Post
Don't do it. Staggered setup with Michelin Pilot super sport summer tires makes a great car even better.
I don't know man I'm on square 18 AS3+ and don't think I'm missing out on much - I've had the staggered MPSS set too did about 20k on them.

EDIT: I am not a fan of stock wheels either for looks or quality. Apex upgrade made a big difference for me too.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4650.00
      06-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

You can always go to a square setup with aftermarket wheels. With proper offsets you can probably run 235 all around, or maybe even 245 if you can get a really perfect front offset/spacer combo.
      06-06-2018, 06:17 AM   #6
SeanE
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I don't know man I'm on square 18 AS3+ and don't think I'm missing out on much - I've had the staggered MPSS set too did about 20k on them.

EDIT: I am not a fan of stock wheels either for looks or quality. Apex upgrade made a big difference for me too.
This is pretty much what I did as well. Mine came with square all-season run-flats and I went to apex ARC-8 with MPSS for the looks and also an extra inch of rubber all the way around. Put michelin snows on the OEM wheels this past year since I moved further north so just swap them out in October sometime. Summers go back on around Easter.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 07:06 AM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post

This is pretty much what I did as well. Mine came with square all-season run-flats and I went to apex ARC-8 with MPSS for the looks and also an extra inch of rubber all the way around. Put michelin snows on the OEM wheels this past year since I moved further north so just swap them out in October sometime. Summers go back on around Easter.
Yep. The only reason I didn't do exactly the same thing is I do want to drive the car on dry winter days and am no longer swapping to winter wheels and tires since I got the X5.

If the 2 were my only car I think the ideal setup without going crazy $-wise would be 18" Apex MPSS summer then 17" BBS SR or SX w/ studless ice and snow in winter.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 08:44 AM   #8
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portadown95 View Post
Staggering the tires is essentially a safeguard to induce some at the limit understeer into the chassis. With the 2 series, the 225 width front tires are a bit too narrow, especially with the heavier M235/240 front end.

I'm currently still on the OEM staggered MPSS tires, but my Alutec Drive 18X8et43 wheels will allow me to run 245/35s at all four corners (I've mounted the 245/35s on the front are drove around and measured clearance). This is on the OEM suspension, no camber mods, and no spacers. Next spring I'll be getting the new MP4S tires and will run a square 245/45 setup. The 245s are over an 1" wider on the front which is significant. I look forward to the extra front end grip and tighter steering teamed with my recently added M Performance LSD (simply WOW. There's so much more rear traction).