THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Drifting/Doing Donuts with Xdrive, is it bad for Car?

06-03-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Drifting/Doing Donuts with Xdrive, is it bad for Car?

How bad is it for an Xdrive car to drift or do donuts on dry pavement besides tires, if any? I mean significant wear on things aside from tires, like transfer case, front/rear diff, transmission?

I've been drifting in the snow but I am afraid of doing the same on asphalt because I heard that the multiplate clutch located in the gearbox for Xdrive cars are pretty fragile.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #2
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

This will almost certainly be considered abuse by your dealer and BMW so you'll end up on the hook for $10000 dollars or more (mere clutch replacement cost me $4800). IMHO there are less expensive ways to have fun unless you don't mind paying Ferrari prices for BMW parts & labour.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 07:58 PM   #3
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelwright View Post
This will almost certainly be considered abuse by your dealer and BMW so you'll end up on the hook for $10000 dollars or more (mere clutch replacement cost me $4800). IMHO there are less expensive ways to have fun unless you don't mind paying Ferrari prices for BMW parts & labour.
The BMW value service package price for replacing a clutch on an M235i is CAD$1,161 (Select the "Explore Value Service Packages" here: https://www.bmw.ca/en/topics/owners/...tion-2018.html)

This includes clutch disc, pressure plate, release bearing, and miscellaneous hardware as required, but not the flywheel. Any flywheel replacement would only be needed if the clutch has been abused or the flywheel is faulty (which would then be a warranty repair if the car is in warranty). The most obvious signs of abuse are blue marks or uneven hard spots on the steel surface caused by excessive slipping of the clutch that causes overheating.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 10:44 PM   #4
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Does that mean tracking my car will also be considered abuse?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 11:13 PM   #5
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
This is crazy talk. Only an idiot would pay these "Ferrari prices" on repairs made to a BMW.
      06-04-2018, 03:06 AM   #6
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

Let's turn our attention back to the important question of how bad it is to do donuts "aside from tires, like transfer case, front/rear diff, transmission". I think we should go through the other car components and see what we think. I'll start us off.

I believe with good reason that doing donuts will not have any bad effects at all on your entertainment system.

It will not likely do any damage to your seats, unless you scare your passengers too much. This applies to most of the car's interior.

What else, folks?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 05:47 AM   #7
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
I confine my donuts to Dunkin's.
For thrills, I do wheelies on a bicycle without a helmet. Much more dangerous if thrills are what you are after.
But I am a very thrifty fellow.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2018, 07:44 AM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeffries View Post
Let's turn our attention back to the important question of how bad it is to do donuts "aside from tires, like transfer case, front/rear diff, transmission". I think we should go through the other car components and see what we think. I'll start us off......It will not likely do any damage to your seats, unless you scare your passengers too much. This applies to most of the car's interior.

What else, folks?
Sensatech FTW - one more distinct advantage!

And to continue the thread, I'm worried about possibly shaking loose some of the ///M badges, so you probably want to add as many as possible right before you do all those donuts - just so everybody knows you are not just in a cool car, but the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE. Otherwise you will likely be mistaken for a Mustang.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 08:12 AM   #9
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Sensatech FTW - one more distinct advantage!

And to continue the thread, I'm worried about possibly shaking loose some of the ///M badges, so you probably want to add as many as possible right before you do all those donuts - just so everybody knows you are not just in a cool car, but the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE. Otherwise you will likely be mistaken for a Mustang.
Buy a junker and drift away.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 08:25 AM   #10
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
How bad is it for an Xdrive car to drift or do donuts on dry pavement besides tires, if any? I mean significant wear on things aside from tires, like transfer case, front/rear diff, transmission?

I've been drifting in the snow but I am afraid of doing the same on asphalt because I heard that the multiplate clutch located in the gearbox for Xdrive cars are pretty fragile.

If you have any doubts, ask your dealer/service manager.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #11
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Can you even do donuts on dry pavement with xDrive?

You'd look like an idiot b/c as soon as you give it gas you're going to snap back into traction. I don't see how you'd even break traction in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 09:45 AM   #12
shawncas
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora S

Just don't....

No reason. Especially in an AWD.

Buy a $2500 Nissan 240 and drift away.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #13
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

I don't see the point in an x-drive car, you'll end up doing axis spins as opposed to donuts, and you'd need some speed + a lot more power to powerslide an x-drive car, properly, for any extended period of time. Drifing and AWD don't usually go together in the same sentance

If you want to drift an M series car, with a robust all wheel drive-train, pony up and buy an M5. Just my $.02
      06-04-2018, 01:47 PM   #14
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
Can you even do donuts on dry pavement with xDrive?

You'd look like an idiot b/c as soon as you give it gas you're going to snap back into traction. I don't see how you'd even break traction in the first place.
Sport+, hold traction control button, put the shifter in S mode, cut wheel to either direction at a stop, and stomp the accelerator. Works every time and scares the shit out of people around you. You will definitely be mistaken for a mustang and no you don’t snap back into traction.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #15
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
Sport+, hold traction control button, put the shifter in S mode, cut wheel to either direction at a stop, and stomp the accelerator. Works every time and scares the shit out of people around you. You will definitely be mistaken for a mustang and no you don’t snap back into traction.
Finally someone who knows that Xdrive can drift. I asked about potential damage and everyone else suggested to buy a new car lol
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #16
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
........ I asked about potential damage and everyone else suggested to buy a new car lol
That's not quite fair -

to summarize:

surely damage:
tires
dignity
financial security/warranty

probably damage:
drivetrain/tranny
BMW reputation

unlikely to damage:
upholstery
anybody else's chances at being Drift King
Appreciate 3
      06-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #17
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Finally someone who knows that Xdrive can drift. I asked about potential damage and everyone else suggested to buy a new car lol
And doing donuts / drifting are very different things.

You can break traction enough for a drift, I wasn't questioning that.

I'm questioning being able to do donuts, which I doubt you'd be able to keep the car going in circles like that constantly.

I do, however, question your judgement in this situation and I don't think you've thought this through.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #18
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Only time I do donuts is when I go to Dunkin Donuts.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #19
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Unless you absolutely thrash your car beyond a reasonable point, you'll be fine with drifting and doing donuts here and there. Things break when you suddenly catch traction or apply excessive force abruptly and constantly. To make it easier on your drivetrain, you can also put on some crappy tires for the hooning or throw some water on the ground. Have fun and post vids.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #20
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

Under warranty, and if it has an M badge, drive it like you stole it. It's supposed to be the ultimate driving machine for a reason. I've had a few warranty issues with my M240Xi, and the dealer has been more than apologetic. They have even mentioned that my car should be able to take much more abuse than I have given it without having any issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 09:51 PM   #21
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHeinz View Post
Under warranty, and if it has an M badge, drive it like you stole it. It's supposed to be the ultimate driving machine for a reason. I've had a few warranty issues with my M240Xi, and the dealer has been more than apologetic. They have even mentioned that my car should be able to take much more abuse than I have given it without having any issues.
Well my car does not have a "proper" M badge. It only has the M aero pkg which means the only visible M badges on the car is the one on the steering wheel and the door sills. My car is only considered a M sport, not M power, not even M performance like a M240i. I might not want to drive it like I stole it, or can I?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 06:16 AM   #22
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
OP: the consensus is that a gentleman does not drift or do donuts (except at Dunkin' or, in Canada, Tim Horton's), and especially not in an AWD car, which is built specifically to make both difficult.
Appreciate 0