THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Considering '16 M235i Purchase Today

05-31-2018, 12:01 PM   #1
shawncas
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora S

Exclamation Considering '16 M235i Purchase Today

Afternoon all. first post. Car enthusiast that has owned, well, everything. Handful of Z06's, pair of Lotus, GT-R, 700 rwhp AMG, full race built R53 Mini, (head/cam, cage the works,) etc.

So here goes, on another one of those "considering buying a...." posts.

Recently moved away from the Tennessee valley, back home to Orlando. (We don't have the roads down here that Tennessee is so well known for....) Suck Creek, Deals Gap, etc.. So as I consider my next daily, the M235i has come heavily to mind. So heavy in fact I am going to look at one this afternoon.

Currently driving a '12 Lotus Evora S, among other items, but looking at a very slightly used '16 M235i with only 10.5k miles. Car pretty well loaded other than the technology package from what I can see when running the VIN. Coupe, Automatic (Really still debating the need for a manual.) Mineral Grey in color. 1 owner, locally purchased, locally serviced at this dealer with a very satisfying, 100k extended warranty through BMW.

Now, I've done my homework.. Watched every video on YouTube, read every professional review, but would love to hear it more from the actual owners.

Mid term, long term. How has your experience in the M235i been? Are you satisfied with it as a daily? Those without the Tech package do you wish you would have gone that route? (I'm a tech guy, but even in my Lotus, do not use the navigation or many of those options...)

I love adding lightness, performance and the likes, but as a daily, considering keeping it tame and avoiding my traditional warranty voiding, but with that said - What mods are must do's for you considering my intention with the car?

I know posts as this are thrown up daily, ad nauseam, so please bare with me as you respond to one more today!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I've had a coupe RWD no tech and convertible xDrive w/ tech - both automatic. I'll tell you first as a DD I prefer the auto and with $200 spent on paddle upgrade the car is a lot of fun to shift that way.

As for the tech - why would you want it? I really enjoy mine but I have a tight garage so it helps and I do use the GPS. There's an add on module from BMW to get just the gps think it's like $500. 99% of the time I just have the map up to see traffic to decide what way to get somewhere then I ignore it - but that's just me.

I'd say it sounds like a great DD and you can satisfy your tech urges by going down the audio upgrade rabbit hole, doing a radar or dash cam install, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 12:18 PM   #3
shawncas
Rep

Ah, did not know the navi option was an available post upgrade..

Good to hear..

I still use Waze on my mobile when commuting, but good to know this is an option.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawncas View Post
Ah, did not know the navi option was an available post upgrade..

Good to hear..

I still use Waze on my mobile when commuting, but good to know this is an option.
You can go a few different ways. BMW OEM retains smaller screen all the way up to new screen rip and replace everything w someone like bimmertech.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2018, 12:57 PM   #5
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

I doubt having the tech or not is affecting the $$ much. I would say a low mileage ( assuming clean) car would be what I would focus on.

My car had 10K miles when I bought it. Its a great DD. My only reservation for you is the car will feel very heavy compared to the Lotus but it is fast..

Good luck, sounds like a great find.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

i have tech package and despite not really using all the features such as GPS.. it comes with a larger, higher resolution screen. this alone is enough of a reason over non tech package. the standard screen is simply dated and makes the already spartan interior look 10 years older.

if you plan to upgrade the screen, then by all means, get the car with the better warranty over tech package.

also, if you are not aware, the screen does not retract, so that low res screen will be glaring at you with all the pixelation. sure, you can black out the screen, but then you are still left with a huge bezel around the blackness.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 01:03 PM   #7
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

I have a 2014 M235i fully loaded from the initial month of production. It's been nothing short of a dream. I have nearly 70,000km, and have had zero issues with it. The dealer replaced the oil filter housing gasket as a precaution before my warranty expired, but otherwise it's had nothing. Car still runs and drives like new and is still enjoyable 4 years later.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 01:06 PM   #8
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

there's probably other things dependent on tech package, perhaps the enhanced bluetooth function for music streaming? you'd need to research further on that one.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 01:33 PM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
there's probably other things dependent on tech package, perhaps the enhanced bluetooth function for music streaming? you'd need to research further on that one.
That's a stand-alone option and can be coded
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 01:34 PM   #10
Snade
Das auto ist schnell.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i (all stock)

I recently picked up a M235i with MT with 10k miles from a local dealer in Palm Beach County. Like the one you're looking at, I had access to the full history of the car, it was locally owned and I felt I had good info that the car was never modified or abused. I would never consider buying a used car without this information.

I traded a 335i with automatic, convincing myself I wanted a bit more fun car with MT - a little lower, lighter and faster.

So far, I love this car and I love the feel of the MT. I love the fact this car does not look like so many other 3 and 4 series BMWs that you see all over the place here in Florida. It has a very elegant look to my eyes.

It is my DD, but I'm retired and just use the car for short trips zipping around the area. I have found no issues with the car. I have an Audi for longer trips, I'm averaging 19mpg with the M235i so we take the Audi A4 on longer trips.

I don't think you need the Tech package. I have it but seldom use what it offers me.

You have owned some powerful cars. As much as I like the M235i, I don't consider it a super fast car. It's fast enough for me and I love the driving engagement of the MT, but it's not a throw you back in your seat kind of car.

I don't think I would be that crazy about this car with the automatic transmission.

Just my quick thoughts, best of luck with your decision.

Snade

Palm Beach County, FL

Last edited by Snade; 05-31-2018 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2018, 02:37 PM   #11
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I've had my 2016 M235 since new in Feb 2016. I've had no issues except for an ECU update in Nov. 2016 due to a CEL caused by Midwest winter gas. The car currently has 27K miles and is driven fairly hard.

The car has been solid. I specifically ordered the car with a 6MT and without nav/tech or a moonroof. Otherwise, it has most of the options and I just installed the M Performance LSD a few weeks back (GET IT). I could not be happier with the way the car is optioned. I didn't do nav because I use Google Maps and Waze and I can do voice commands/control through the steering wheel controls and directions are broadcast across the speakers. I run Pandora almost exclusively and it has no issues streaming through BT and being controlled through the Idrive control. The standard screen is somewhat ugly but I could buy a used nav screen for $200-300 and have it coded in to work for a nicer look.

I really love my M235 and would not want it with an auto. I strongly suggest test driving an F-series manual 335/435/M3/M4 if you can find one locally. The noted cars use the same 6MT as the M235. It's damn near impossible to find a manual M235 because hardly anyone orders their cars as most buy from the dealer inventory thus if you want a 6MT M235, it will take some searching.

With the electronic adjustable shocks and adjustable steering and throttle control, it gives the car dual personality where you can have a touring ride/feel for longer trips and sedate driving and a sportier ride and stiffer steering for more performance orientated driving. There is a clear difference in ride quality between to the two shock setting modes (Comfort and Sport).
      05-31-2018, 04:50 PM   #12
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

I have the nav etc on my car. In all honesty, other than the bigger screen etc, I have not really used it as navigation.
90% of the time when I use the nav its really to just check the surface streets around me for alternate paths. Its nice and all once you are used to having it, but honestly if I didn't have it to begin with, I probably wouldn't feel like I am missing it.

Other than that, the car is a great daily driver.

Mine is also an auto, and while I have my Z as my manual car, it isn't something I have regretted on the 2. This comes down as personal preference, but I honestly prefer the ZF8 over the 6 speed.
      05-31-2018, 04:58 PM   #13
mcompact
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

I bought a heavily optioned 2014 M235i automatic as a CPO in January 2016. It now has over41k miles on it and the only issue has been a bad auxiliary fan that was replaced under warranty. It's spent three das as my HPDE instructor car and one night at the local 1/8 mile strip. Average fuel economy hovers around 27 mpg- I see upwards of 31 mpg on long interstate slogs. All of my prior BMWs have been manuals, but in the M235i I don't miss a third pedal as the wide torque peak of the N55 is a perfect match.

As for technology, my car has Professional Navigation, something I wouldn't normally spec. That said, I really like it and use it much more than I thought. The only thing I really wish it didn't have is a hole in the roof.

Bottom line, my 2er is proving to be one of my favorite Bimmers- right up there with my E28 535is, E24 M6, and my 318ti Club Sport. About the only thing I'd like beter would be a M2 stick.
1999 Wrangler Sahara
1995 318ti Club Sport
Appreciate 2
Dylan861330.00
      05-31-2018, 05:12 PM   #14
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

I love my m235i. 6mt rwd lsd.

Is the m235i you're looking at x drive? Most autos seem to be.

I feel like you'd have more fun with a rwd based on your other cars you've had. Being in Orlando especially, even though I have no hesitancy to drive my rwd in Boston winters.
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2018, 05:15 PM   #15
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8_M235i View Post

I feel like you'd have more fun with a rwd based on your other cars you've had. Being in Orlando especially, even though I have no hesitancy to drive my rwd in Boston winters.
True but...

At least the xdrive is rear biased and not some pseudo fwd bullshit like Audi and MB are selling folks. So it could be a lot worse.
Appreciate 2
      05-31-2018, 05:23 PM   #16
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
The car that OP describes is equipped pretty close to my 2015. Best car I ever had and we have had a good number of BMWs in this century. No nav for me. Waze is way better, with the phone on a vent clip.
Go for it!
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2018, 06:44 PM   #17
shawncas
Rep

hey all and thanks for the amazing info! Sorry for the delays in response.. Just got back from testing out the car.. Seems to be a real winner for me.

Details: '16 M235i, 10,500 miles, 100k "bumper to bumper" from BMW. Bought at Fields BMW here in Orlando, serviced there entirely. Clean, 1 owner car fax other than a rear end fender bender which apparently Fields handled the repairs on. (No airbag deployment) Fields apparently handled all repairs.

Spoke to Fields regarding transfer-ability of the warranty and such. Owner also bought the tire/wheel - paint chip warranty which Fields stated was also transferable. In fact, my sales rep at Fields stated the included maintenance was transferable as well, but sticker says otherwise.. Thoughts?

Car drove strong, sounded great, no panel gap, no discoloration or paint repairs which I could see. Hood and trunk paint and seals looked OEM.

Auto is not a deal breaker, especially here in Orlando where so few opportunities to really stretch the legs anymore. Manual would be ideal, but to be honest, I am getting a '16 model with only 10k miles for his payoff, with a 100k warranty. (Below Trade in value on KBB, NADA.)

Attaching the window sticker. Love some opinions on it...

Question for those mentioning replacing the display with the display from tech package and coding to work. Love to hear more about this and recommendations for where to get the new screen from. Ebay?

Please bare with me as more questions to come.

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 06:51 PM   #18
shawncas
Rep

And apologies.. It is a RWD.. Was my preferred over AWD, especially in the application of which I was consider using it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 06:53 PM   #19
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

What is the payoff if you wish to share ? Looks like a nice car

Don't know how Fields is in Fla. buy I would not buy a pair of roller skates from them here locally. Multiple horrible experiences in sales and service, BMW and Infiniti.

I'll ride a Schwinn before I ever buy a car from any Fields dealership.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 06:56 PM   #20
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8_M235i View Post

True but...

At least the xdrive is rear biased and not some pseudo fwd bullshit like Audi and MB are selling folks. So it could be a lot worse.
That is very true. I've seen some nice rear end stepping out action on x drives
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 07:00 PM   #21
mcompact
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

If you like it, go for it. That said, I'd be inclined to find a car already equipped with Professional nav if that's what you want rather than trying to retrofit it. If you just want to add navigation, I would definitely recommend the BMW retrofit. It's not inevitable, but a car that has been modified and coded can be denied warranty coverage if an ancillary systems fail. That won't be a problem with the BMW kit.
And no, I do not work for BMW NA in any capacity.
1999 Wrangler Sahara
1995 318ti Club Sport
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2018, 07:02 PM   #22
shawncas
Rep

Purchasing right at $28k.

Fiance bought a '16 Civic EX-L from this Fields BMW after trading in her Mercedes CLA 250. Was a pretty great experience. I can't say anything more about them other than that, but can always appreciate a dealer that keeps the enthusiast in mind.

They currently have a few I8's, a boat load of M2's, M3's, M4's, M6's, etc in stock which was shocking to me considering my old BMW dealer, with all their inventory, never had an M on the floor.

From the sales experience to the trade in, financing, etc, all went butter smooth. So here's hoping they are not all created equal....

Then again.. Damn do I miss my Lotus dealer in Atlanta, compared to the one here in Orlando. Lucky to even get a return call on an attempt to schedule service here.
Appreciate 0