THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Strategy for Non-Run Flats

05-22-2018, 07:35 PM   #23
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I'd agree with you except for certain roads. 76 in Philly for example I'd wait 24 hours for AAA rather than change a tire myself.
I get that concern...I'd be willing to trash the tire to pull off the shoulder or up the next exit to be able to change it to the minispare. Sitting still, vulnerable to passers-by, is a primary concern....perhaps it's the NYC native upbringing.

EDIT: I just saw your final paragraph...that can happen just as easily when you're stuck, even inside the car. It's the duration of being stuck that I perceive as the biggest risk. But, I'd still drive on the damaged tire to a reasonable place to swap the minispare.
Yeah it comes down to half an ounce of common sense - doesn't everything?

There are certain places during the day id do one thing, night another. Lots of traffic safer because people driving 10mph, no traffic very dangerous.

Hell my brother once had trouble with a dealer supplied loaner, called a cab and left the thing running at the side of the road.

Btw I didn't actually think she'd get raped and murdered I was trying to scare her and not have her get out of the car in a very bad spot and get hit.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 10:28 PM   #24
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

The S2 replaces my wife's S1 that I replaced the RF tires with non RF. Never had a flat. One slow leak captured by the TPMS and repaired but no blow outs. In fact, between my wife and I with well over 100 years combined driving time we've only had one blow out. I put a tire plug kit and compressor in her trunk just in case though. But even RF tires don't help much with a blow out if the tire is shredded. She still feels safer with the RF tires and when the S2 tires need replacement I'll go with RF for her. It's all a gamble but odds are you won't need to test your luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #25
SeanE
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 m235i

run-flats are a joke in my experience....I hit a damaged overpass seam going 65 on a rural (but usually high-quality) 2-lane divided highway in Maryland this February and destroyed both left side run-flat OEM tires. They were un-drivable in 30 seconds. Called BMW as I was still under the roadside assist free service. full flatbed tow required. Bear in mind, it wasn't a fluke, the same part of the overpass had been repaired previously, so it looked to be a seasonal occurrence. Could happen anywhere, and no way to see it or avoid it before hitting it.

After that went to non run flats for winter and summer set-up and not looking back. I guess it's just going to be roadside service from BMW while its still free and then revert to my insurance carrier after that. Not really interested in carrying a spare around.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 05:39 PM   #26
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
I've been driving this car for 3 years with the minispare in the trunk and have never had the sensation/experience of "lugging". I actually never think about it. I have no need for luggage for this car in our household, but there is still room with the rear seat folded down, if that need ever arose. No one has ever sat back there for three years, so it could easily become cargo space if needed.

As to the roadside changing, true, there is some minimal exposure (assuming pulling off into a safe location from being hit), but this is a matter of risk increasing over time as more passersby notice you are stuck. Ten to 15 minutes is a very different profile than waiting a couple of hours which is far from unheard of. Although the minispare is tested for certain speed and mileage limitations, treating it more gingerly than that with lower speed will allow you to keep moving, which equates to more safety than sitting still.

This is personal risk assessment and I was just expressing my point of view. YMMV.
Like I said it comes down to personal assessment on what constitutes more or less practical. I don't want a tire in the middle of the trunk, I pretty often have either luggage or work materials back there, I just don't want to deal with a tire as well.

For me, the prospect of waiting for AAA or roadside assist is ok, I would honestly rather do that inside a locked car than run the risk of getting mowed down by someone not paying attention.
      05-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #27
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanE View Post
... I guess it's just going to be roadside service from BMW while its still free ....

I was told by BMW if they are called out because of a flat and you don't have run flats (when they came with the car) they won't tow for free. Two dealers told me that. It may be up to the dealer but I don't know. Never had to test it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 09:27 PM   #28
ham_hock_
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Fairly off-topic, but maybe useful to the thread nonetheless? Is there any issue with using a spare with xdrive, in terms of the all-wheel drive system? Probably would be different rolling diameters (I'm running 235/40 and 265/35)...
      05-23-2018, 11:28 PM   #29
Luddy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xdrive EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleskovar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanE View Post
... I guess it's just going to be roadside service from BMW while its still free ....

I was told by BMW if they are called out because of a flat and you don't have run flats (when they came with the car) they won't tow for free. Two dealers told me that. It may be up to the dealer but I don't know. Never had to test it.
I got a flat August 2017 on a non run flat and bmw roadside towed it with no issue or money out of my pocket. I was roughly the same distance to a couple dealers and they even asked which I preferred.

I mean they sell cars with summer non run flats I can't imagine they would charge to tow those people
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 08:40 AM   #30
Rolf14
Rep
Drives: 14' 228i MSport

To run RFTs or not to run RFTs

I do not remember the last time I had a flat, and I was born in the 50’s… I learned to drive in the pothole capital of the world: Puerto Rico. Steering around potholes trains you to avoid every single road imperfection. This was really necessary during my first visit after the hurricane (driving a friend’s sport Mercedes). The Air Force assigned me to Washington DC in the early 80’s, before the roads were “fixed.” My driving habits came in really handy there. Currently my wife leases BMWs with RFTs. When I drive them I do not notice a difference in “ride quality.” Driving my 2001 325-Touring (with non-RFT and a full size spare), I steer around road imperfections on the way to work. Checking my rear view mirrors I notice the people following me drive through the potholes as if those weren’t there. What I am trying to say is that if you are conscious and avoid things that you know might damage your tires, you minimize your flat-tire chances. After so many miles driving both types of tires, I honestly do not notice a difference, so I have decided to not second-guess German engineers who designed a car to run on RFTs. And I do carry a tire repair kit on both cars, just in case.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #31
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i red convertible

Agree, particularly in the rural west where AAA can be an all day event

Quote:
I find it hard to understand those who think of this as a service issue they can buy their way out of. Unknown amounts of time waiting for AAA or similar, sitting on a possibly-interstate roadside, perhaps in a well-traveled area, perhaps not, in daylight or at night, finding alternative transportation if the car is towed, etc...From my perspective, the single most important and overriding factor is getting off the roadside, out of a vulnerable random place, and back on my travel ASAP, as in NOW (as quickly as I can get that spare on...up to 10-15 minutes?)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 09:30 AM   #32
itzzoscar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive GSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleskovar View Post
I had oem RFT when I purchased my car and swapped them to Michelin A/S 3+ but unfortunately hit a pothole at 35 and blew out the sidewall on the passenger front. I called roadside assistance and they towed my car to my dealer and called an uber for me to get home since it happened at 1am. I was also 25 miles away from home but I paid nothing out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 06:48 PM   #33
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

If I get a flat, I do the same thing I do with any other breakdown: call for help. (Not that any of this is happening so far.) One slight qualification: if I go on a road trip, I toss a summer (or winter, if it's summer) wheel in the trunk so I don't have to wait a week for the right replacement tire. No jack or lug wrench for me, though; my tire changing days, if ever there were any, are over. Also: my last flat tire was 14 years ago, when I foolishly drove through a construction site and picked up a stray bolt.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 11:48 AM   #34
Pyrotech7
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i, 2003 325i

I don't understand why everyone is running from RFTs. I ran over a chunk of concrete on the freeway about a month ago. Completely blew out the outer sidewall on my front left tire. After checking it out I slowly drove a couple miles home, parked it overnight and headed down to the tire shop in the morning. I could have been 10-20 miles farther from home and still had the same outcome. Maybe if I lived in the desert it would have been different, but in the city (I live in Los Angeles) RFTs can save you from even more sub-optimal conditions than you're already experiencing. So why are RFTs being immediately swapped?
      05-27-2018, 02:44 PM   #35
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotech7 View Post
I don't understand why everyone is running from RFTs. I ran over a chunk of concrete on the freeway about a month ago. Completely blew out the outer sidewall on my front left tire. After checking it out I slowly drove a couple miles home, parked it overnight and headed down to the tire shop in the morning. I could have been 10-20 miles farther from home and still had the same outcome. Maybe if I lived in the desert it would have been different, but in the city (I live in Los Angeles) RFTs can save you from even more sub-optimal conditions than you're already experiencing. So why are RFTs being immediately swapped?
Poorer driving performance, ride harshness, and noisier. Other than that, they’re great! ;-).
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 10:13 AM   #36
Pyrotech7
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Poorer driving performance, ride harshness, and noisier. Other than that, they're great! ;-).
Damn alright haha . They came with the car so I'm on my first set of run-flats ever, maybe my last set
      05-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #37
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Damn alright haha . They came with the car so I'm on my first set of run-flats ever, maybe my last set
In LA? Treat yourself to some summer only Michelin PS4S and discover the car you didn't know you had!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #38
WorldClass
Registered
Rep
Drives: 17 M240x Conv

I am having the same issues as those above with the run flats. Had one replaced in February to pass inspection that had a small bubble. Now, just a few months later, I have a bubble on that same tire AND the other front.

Based on reading others feedback, was prepared to move away from the RFs to Conti Extreme Contact DWS06, but when I called local shop they told me they cannot replace RFs with non-RFs for liability purposes. Anyone else getting this message?

In the Philly suburbs, and not quite sure whether to just call around, push for some warranty coverage somehow, or buy road hazard insurance.

Any knowledge here welcome...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #39
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

Driving from Ann Arbor area to Cleveland, I had the center of a rear tire delaminate in some weird way, a strip 3/4 of an inch wide peeled off and tire threads started coming out, tangling around the axle and brake.

Because they were run flats, I was able to drive the car to some burg, where we left it for a few days while the tire place got tires, meanwhile renting something to take us on to Cleveland.

Without the run flats we'd have been a bit more stranded, so I was glad to have them. I think that was the only time they did me any good.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 12:18 PM   #40
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClass View Post
... but when I called local shop they told me they cannot replace RFs with non-RFs for liability purposes. Anyone else getting this message?
Nonsense. They are just scared of varying at all from the OE spec; it's not a RFT issue. Order from tirerack.com, send to one of their approved local installers who you've called ahead of time (before you order) and you should be fine.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
BEM-S44515.50
      05-29-2018, 12:23 PM   #41
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
... but when I called local shop they told me they cannot replace RFs with non-RFs for liability purposes. Anyone else getting this message?
Nonsense. They are just scared of varying at all from the OE spec; it's not a RFT issue. Order from tirerack.com, send to one of their approved local installers who you've called ahead of time (before you order) and you should be fine.
Literally the only "trouble" you could get into is at lease turn in time. The car doesn't care one way or the other.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #42
WorldClass
Registered
Rep
Drives: 17 M240x Conv

Thanks guys. Spoke to TireRack, and interestingly he said even some of their local installers will not replace RFs with non-RFs. That when I order, call in and they will make sure they choose the right local install guy. Now just deciding to switch them all out, or just buy two Pirelli runflats that come with the TireRack hazard protection. Tks...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #43
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys. Spoke to TireRack, and interestingly he said even some of their local installers will not replace RFs with non-RFs. That when I order, call in and they will make sure they choose the right local install guy. Now just deciding to switch them all out, or just buy two Pirelli runflats that come with the TireRack hazard protection. Tks...
Call Matt at Thomson to discuss tires. He can order for you, get you road hazard coverage, and help you pick the best thing for you then install it. Rates similar to local tire shop but it's at a BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 02:41 PM   #44
Pyrotech7
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
In LA? Treat yourself to some summer only Michelin PS4S and discover the car you didn't know you had!
I definitely will do that when it's time to replace the set. I'm actually really excited to see what the difference is between the two now