THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2014 F22 Steering Noise. Need help!

06-07-2018, 05:45 AM   #1
ggitting
Registered
Rep
Drives: 228i

2014 F22 Steering Noise. Need help!

Hi, please forgive the newbieness.

The steering wheel of my 228i started making this weird plastic-like clicking noise whenever I turn the wheel from center to right and when I turn the wheel from left to right. I had the dealer service department to diagnose the problem and they said everything looks fine and they heard the same noise from an identical car.

The noise is audible at idle + engine on and also when the engine is off.
I can also hear the noise when turning the steering wheel slightly left to right during 40 mph and highway speed as well.

Do you guys also hear the noise? The dealer stated they hear the same noise from identical car, but I can't believe that. What are your thoughts? Am I just being too nitpicky? or are other 228i owners have the same noise?

Here are the videos of the noise

Last edited by ggitting; 06-07-2018 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 05:40 PM   #2
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

That definitely does not sound right. I would suggest going to another dealer in your area
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 05:46 PM   #3
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggitting View Post
Hi, please forgive the newbieness.

The steering wheel of my 228i started making this weird plastic-like clicking noise whenever I turn the wheel from center to right and when I turn the wheel from left to right. I had the dealer service department to diagnose the problem and they said everything looks fine and they heard the same noise from an identical car.

The noise is audible at idle + engine on and also when the engine is off.
I can also hear the noise when turning the steering wheel slightly left to right during 40 mph and highway speed as well.

Do you guys also hear the noise? The dealer stated they hear the same noise from identical car, but I can't believe that. What are your thoughts? Am I just being too nitpicky? or are other 228i owners have the same noise?

Here are the videos of the noise

Could be the steering rack.

The noise with the engine turned off is normal. Meaning the knocking sound but not that cricky noise
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 07:23 AM   #4
ggitting
Registered
Rep
Drives: 228i

Thanks for the replies guys.

I went in to the dealer yesterday to meet with S.A. and one of the mechanics there and I let the mechanic here the noise while we were both inside the car and explain the issue.

Again, he tried to convince me it's normal. I then asked if I can test the other identical car they tested which had the same noise. They didn't have the car, of couse. I then asked if I can test other vehicles that had the same parts, they said they will investigate more thoroughly about the issue.

Why not do that on the first time? And the other dealer in my area is also the same owner..sigh..
Appreciate 0