THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Strategy for Non-Run Flats

05-29-2018, 04:19 PM   #45
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotech7 View Post
I definitely will do that when it's time to replace the set. I'm actually really excited to see what the difference is between the two now
Why wait? Especially if a lease, save the RFTs for re-install at turn in. Even if not, it's a small percentage of the cost of the car, and the time you spend sub-optimizing waiting for the RFTs to wear out is irreplaceable. I tossed some new OE tires on another car because they weren't up to what I wanted. These cars aren't just "transportation"...they are entertainment!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
BEM-S44515.50
      05-29-2018, 04:25 PM   #46
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
I definitely will do that when it's time to replace the set. I'm actually really excited to see what the difference is between the two now
Why wait? Especially if a lease, save the RFTs for re-install at turn in. Even if not, it's a small percentage of the cost of the car, and the time you spend sub-optimizing waiting for the RFTs to wear out is irreplaceable. I tossed some new OE tires on another car because they weren't up to what I wanted. These cars aren't just "transportation"...they are entertainment!
RFT are expensive! If your leased car came with them take them off immediately, save for turn in and run the better and cheaper rubber while you have the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 08:31 AM   #47
Pyrotech7
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i, 2003 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
RFT are expensive! If your leased car came with them take them off immediately, save for turn in and run the better and cheaper rubber while you have the car.
I purchased the car, not leased, and I just replaced a couple of my tires because I was forced to, and like you said, they're expensive. So I'll run down the new ones before I buy a different set. Really not trying to spend money right now when A) just did, B) I have other more necessary expenses, and C) since I don't know the difference yet, I'm not missing out. I do realize that time is invaluable, but a few months isn't a big deal. Nor will it kill me. So I'll wait. Thanks though because once the time comes I'll avoid the RFTs and see how different the car feels.
      05-30-2018, 09:29 AM   #48
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I purchased the car, not leased, and I just replaced a couple of my tires because I was forced to, and like you said, they're expensive. So I'll run down the new ones before I buy a different set. Really not trying to spend money right now when A) just did, B) I have other more necessary expenses, and C) since I don't know the difference yet, I'm not missing out. I do realize that time is invaluable, but a few months isn't a big deal. Nor will it kill me. So I'll wait. Thanks though because once the time comes I'll avoid the RFTs and see how it different the car feels.
Yeah I bought gf a car that came w runflats and she's going to use them til they need to be replaced then we'll get regular tires. Sometimes switching is throwing money away, sometimes it's not.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2018, 10:47 AM   #49
Redsauce
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

Mass of RFT

When I swapped RFT's with NRFT's on my Z4 I was amazed at the difference in weight between tires (without rims of course). That is all un-sprung weight. My Z was an '03 and I know that RFT have improved a lot. However in my case, the driving experience was changed dramatically.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 10:13 PM   #50
Pyrotech7
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i, 2003 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsauce View Post
When I swapped RFT's with NRFT's on my Z4 I was amazed at the difference in weight between tires (without rims of course). That is all un-sprung weight. My Z was an '03 and I know that RFT have improved a lot. However in my case, the driving experience was changed dramatically.
Overall how did you like the switch? What did you feel was different besides the weight?
      05-31-2018, 12:18 AM   #51
Redsauce
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Overall how did you like the switch? What did you feel was different besides the weight?
The car handled noticeably better and the ride was considerably
less harsh and jumpy. The RFT were on since the car was new in 2003, so older technology. I changed them out when I bought the car in 08. The older RF had 24K miles on them. I believe that the newer RFT are improved but this was my experience then. I would ask somebody with the current tech if the rides are as different now as I experienced with a swap.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #52
icin235
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Silver 6spd

My BMW mobility kit came in handy over the summer when I got a flat. Used the goop. Allowed me to get to a tire shop that had my size tire.

Only thing is - My BMW pump stopped working after that one use. It makes noise, but it no longer pumps a tire up. Wondering if the goop got inside it or something.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:27 PM   #53
Australian Bimmer
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i M Sport

I just saw this thread so I am re-posting this comment as it is relevant here. I am keeping the RFTs but this strategy would work for someone without RFTs:
“I am going to buy a rim to use as a spare wheel for long trips I do quite often. I have 2 rear tyres with only about 5,000 kms (3,000 miles) left in them and 2 almost new front tyres. So I need new rear tyres very soon. That are all currently Continental RFTs. I can ‘buy 3, get one free’ Bridgestone Potenza RFTs at a great price $339 each (great for Australia, I just paid $415 for a Potenza 19” for my wife’s Mini Countryman. My friendly BMW dealer wanted $605 for a Dunlop 19”).
I can get two Potezas of one size (rears 245/35 18) and two another size (for the front, 225/40 18) with this deal.
In Australia, Bridgestone is the only brand that gives a pro-rata replacement deal on RFTs. If they can’t be repaired from a puncture or other accidental ‘road hazard’ damage you get an appropriate discount on a replacement. If the tyre is less than 10% worn the replacement is free, if it is 20% worn, you get 80% discount etc. etc.
I just found out about this Bridgestone pro-rata deal after replacing the Countryman’s tyres with Dunlops and then recently losing one to an irreparable puncture. $400 odd dollars down the drain, if I had purchased Potenzas it would have been a free replacement. So I replaced it with a Bridgestone and now have one almost new Dunlop and one brand new Bridgestone on the rear, non-driving wheels of the Mini. Not ideal I know but she drives very sedately and I will get a Bridgestone on the other side as soon as I need another new tyre for that car.
So, back to the 2 Series, I plan to buy 4 Bridgestones and get them all fitted and then keep the 2 front Contis as spares. I will mount one on a rim and take it if venturing too far from the capital (that isn’t hard to do in Australia, it is pretty sparse out there once you leave the main cities). I do these trips alone in the 2 Series Coupe so luggage space isn’t an issue as I only take a soft overnight bag.
I believe an 8” rim that fits the front with the standard sized 225/40 18 tyre will be ok for a spare for both the front and rear, temporary only until I either get the Bridgestone repaired or replaced. I have M Sport Brakes but believe from what I have read on here that the front rim should be ok on the rear as a spare option.
I could just but 3 tyres (2 for the rear and a spare to mount on a spare rim) and keep the Contis on tbe front, but with this deal I can get 4 for the same price as 3, so I may as well buy 4 and have Bridgestones all round.
Bye the way, we are pretty much on fire here at the moment. We have massive bush fires. I live 85kms from Brisbane and have had to set the alarm every 2 hours for 4 out of the last 7 nights to check if we have to evacuate. We are on a ‘prepare to leave’ warning that goes to a ‘watch and react’ warning when the wind dies down.
Oh, well, at least I have the cars and their tyres to distract me from the constant choking smoke!”
Appreciate 0