THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum MST intake on convertible question

06-18-2021, 08:10 AM   #1
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

MST intake on convertible question

Hello, It looks like unlike on the coupe, the convertible have extra bracing in the engine bay passing slightly over the intake spot. Upon removing that and installing the MST intake, the bracing can only be tightened with bolt in 2 area instead of the original 4..

Can I just delete that and get a strut brace as replacement for structural rigidity?

Attachment 2630097
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 09:05 AM   #2
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajowhan View Post
Hello, It looks like unlike on the coupe, the convertible have extra bracing in the engine bay passing slightly over the intake spot. Upon removing that and installing the MST intake, the bracing can only be tightened with bolt in 2 area instead of the original 4..

Can I just delete that and get a strut brace as replacement for structural rigidity?

Attachment 2630097
Short answer, no.

More involved answer requires the new strut brace to attach to the OEM bolt points. There is specific engineering into the rigidity and you don't want to mess with it. Say you replace it with a more robust member; then you get into an accident. That member will yield at a higher point and the design to push the eng and tranny to the ground will not have the same vectored forces and may be catastrophic to the occupants.

That aside, could you modify the intake for the strut to bolt down? Maybe there is a replacement strut that allows for the fit.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 09:22 AM   #3
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
Short answer, no.

More involved answer requires the new strut brace to attach to the OEM bolt points. There is specific engineering into the rigidity and you don't want to mess with it. Say you replace it with a more robust member; then you get into an accident. That member will yield at a higher point and the design to push the eng and tranny to the ground will not have the same vectored forces and may be catastrophic to the occupants.

That aside, could you modify the intake for the strut to bolt down? Maybe there is a replacement strut that allows for the fit.
The fitment is already tight with a lil force on every part on the intake even without considering the strut. I'll take another look when I get the chance.

Doubt there is another replacement strut that will allows for the fit unless its custom made to fit.

I wonder then if I should try running the intake without the top cover? lots of other intake doesnt have that
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 09:27 AM   #4
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajowhan View Post
The fitment is already tight with a lil force on every part on the intake even without considering the strut. I'll take another look when I get the chance.

Doubt there is another replacement strut that will allows for the fit unless its custom made to fit.

I wonder then if I should try running the intake without the top cover? lots of other intake doesnt have that
Check around on the strut. I recall some threads speaking on it. Additionally, expand your search to the M235/228 F23 as well. This platform has been around 7 years so there is something out there.
Appreciate 0