THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum New F22 convertible roof not locking open or closed

06-06-2021, 02:58 PM   #1
fdf123
Rep
Drives: 2021 230i xDrive convertible

New F22 convertible roof not locking open or closed

Brand new 2021 F22/230 i x convertible, less than 1 month old. Today, when I returned to car in hot parking lot (>90o F outside), roof up, had the error msg that roof was not locked. Using the roof switch to make it go up or down it would not lock in the fully up or down position (or the sensor didn't think so b/c I would continue to get the error msg), or if it seemed to complete the operation it would give me that error msg soon after. When this error occurs one also can't open the trunk (boot). I tried making it go up and down a number of times, sometimes when closing it would also halt prior to the roof actually closing, other times it appeared closed.

Eventually roof appeared to be up and I drove home that way, intermittently hearing the chime and getting the error that it wasn't locked. 1/2 way home (about 45 mi drive) stopped getting the error. When I was able to get trunk open there was nothing interfering with the collapsible thingy that has to be down for roof to work (and I don't have much in trunk).

Roof has worked flawlessly until today.

Probably separate issue, or a related electrical problem?--the wireless charging for my cell phone in the center console was only working intermittently (tried with or without case, made sure it was seated securely, didn't matter).

I have made a service appointment (not for 4 days), but wondering if anyone has experienced this or has an idea what's causing the problem? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 05:49 PM   #2
cristo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i Convertible

Congrats on owning the very first and only
F22 convertible. (All the others are F23 models).
But seriously, our 2020 F23 240i was delivered
with a non functioning roof. It took us a few
days to notice as we bought it in late November
in 2019 and it did work once at the test drive.
It ended up needing a new convertible top
module, but problems with various sensors
or the motor could also cause your problem.
Have the dealer sort it out and fix it under
warranty. Ours took 2 trips to fix - one to
diagnose and order parts and one to install
and code the new module. It’s been fine
ever since.

Last edited by cristo; 06-06-2021 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 08:37 AM   #3
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Congrats on your new car. Sorry to hear about your issue(s). The good news is after owning my M235 vert for nearly 5 years and actively monitoring and participating in this forum, I can say your "top" issue is very rare and likely to never pop up again once the dealer gets it sorted out.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 09:13 AM   #4
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

In case you did not get the sarcastic comment before. F22 is coupe, F23 is convertible.

The only issue I ever have with mine was last weekend, my dog put her paw and activate the top down for couple secs, I have to hurriedly close it again and without realizing it, apparently a part of the fabric got caught and pinched for couple hours. Now it doesn't look as smooth anymore But no, thats just a rant. the issue I had last weekend was when I was trying to put the top down, it wouldn't let me and mention something about the tailgate. I had to go out, open and close the tailgate before it would let me put the top down. Prior to this, I was able to operate the top with no issue and I did not open my trunk at all that day. There was no sensor indicating trunk is open or anything.

Couple weeks ago, I also got the trunk not closed error message twice and had to open and close my trunk again. Looks like the sensor for the trunk door might go out as a matter of when.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 03:37 AM   #5
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
I've had a number of soft-tops over the years, and just as general advice, I'd say that with modern electro-mechanical fabric roofs it's best to get into the habit of being focused about folding/unfolding them. By that I mean don't interrupt the process - once you start, always run it through to completion, without a break, with the doors shut. I have had various odd things happen, including 'not fully locked' error messages and one of the small tonneau flaps not sliding back. In each case it's been after a 'messy' process where the passenger had opened the door and/or the process got interrupted when I've been distracted.

If I have a passenger, I don't let them open the door during the process: they either get out, get their stuff and shut their door, or sit there until the roof is back up. Normlly, if I have passengers, I let them do their thing and don't put up the roof until they have everything out of the car and are all done.

I don't use the remote fold/unfold any more, as even a slight reduction in finger pressure seems to easily halt the process: I always sit in the car and use the central switch. Or if that's inconvenient, focus on pressing the fob's open/close button through to completion.

Also note the Owners Manual advice that if you're parking the car for any length of time, you should put the roof up in order to tension the fabric. And that you can drive with the rof up and windows open, but should set the aicon to 'Auto' as it will regulate the airflow in a way that stops the fabric from flapping due to air pressure. It looks like 'Auto' is aware you have a convertible, and won't try and aircon the whole universe if the top is down.

It's also worth looking at the the instructions on how to put the roof up by hand thread, for if there's a problem with the mechanism.

Apart from needing two people, it's not particularly difficult, but not something you'd want to be reading-up on if it was raining. Each person will need a screwdriver or similar to hold their side's 'claws' (see the instructions) in place. You'll also need an Allen (Hex) key in order to lock the cover in place against the windscreen. I'd recommend always putting the roof up after a failure, rather than down, even if its almost fully-folded down.

All this makes it sound like the BMW fabric roof is fraught with issues, but there are remarkably few threads about problems with the convertible roof and it seems to be one of the more generally reliable assemblies on the vehicle.

Last edited by msej449; 06-08-2021 at 04:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 09:35 AM   #6
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Take the car back to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 08:58 PM   #7
fdf123
Rep
Drives: 2021 230i xDrive convertible

How the dealer fixed it

Ok Ok, F23! Much easier to say 2-series cabrio or convertible anyway

So here's what happened: The dealer had to remove the soft top mechanism to gain access to the switch (54 34 438) which they found was not "seating correctly." They adjusted the soft top (54 34 100) to rectify--indicated to me that they had to open up the sliding plastic ~4" panels at the rear corners just inside the roof to make some sort of adjustment.

As it turned out, when they returned it to me it was still displaying the error that the roof was not locked completely. They whisked it back in, made 1 more adjustment, and it seems to be fine (although I've mostly been on my bicycle, not driving, since getting it back).

Thx for the ideas folks.
Appreciate 0