THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Flash or piggyback that gets toggled with the built-in driving modes?

05-17-2021, 08:22 AM   #1
IlyaMikheyev
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' M235i (6 mt)

Flash or piggyback that gets toggled with the built-in driving modes?

Hey everyone!

I don't even own a car yet but as soon as a 6spd m235i pops up I'm buying it - Im dying inside every day but I think it will be worth the wait.

I love looking into car computers/tunes and planning modifications I want to make to my future car. One thing I would love to put on my car is a tune - like a jb4 or ecu flash. But I think it would be really cool if I could enable and disable it with the stock driving modes (comfort, sport plus, etc). I know with a JB4 you can fiddle around with some steering wheel buttons to switch tunes or set it back to stock, but I would love if I could integrate it into the cars stock driving settings. So when I put the car into sport plus, the JB4 gets enabled.

So far my best idea is to insert an embedded system (i.e. raspberry Pi or whatever) somewhere into the car (i.e. obd2 port) and have that listen for the CAN messages indicating the engine mode has been switched. Then I will have to find the codes that control JB4 settings, probably by toggling JB4 maps using the steering wheel buttons and listening for the activity on the CANBUS. Then I just need to mimic those signals everytime the car goes into sport plus, and send signals to go back to stock when the car goes into comfort.

This doesn't sound ideal - Sooooo anyone got any good suggestions!! Should be a fun discussion!

P.s. I just graduated with a software engineering degree. I don't have a lot of experience regarding car electronics, but I'm not an idiot either. I have a rough understand of how car components communicate and how to reverse engineer CAN packets.

P.p.s I know people are gunna say "this is useless, just don't accelerate as hard" - ya, I know it's "useless". Honestly, so is half the shit people do to their cars. I think it would be very cool to have a real sport mode. Not one that just makes the throttle twitchier but one that adds 40 extra horsepower. If you don't want to help me, just don't reply. But if you think this would be cool or fun, feel free to chime in!!!
Appreciate 2
      05-18-2021, 11:24 AM   #2
Dom147
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i, 2017 BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
this sounds like an amazing idea
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 04:48 PM   #3
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

None of the major flash tuners have figured this out yet, and JB4 is far from the state of the art when it comes to tuning these cars. I would say it seems like it should be possible but hasn't been sorted out yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 06:07 PM   #4
IlyaMikheyev
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
None of the major flash tuners have figured this out yet, and JB4 is far from the state of the art when it comes to tuning these cars. I would say it seems like it should be possible but hasn't been sorted out yet.
Ok, when I get my car Ill look into it. If I figure it out ill update you all.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 12:40 PM   #5
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Ilya - what happened in game 7 - so disappointing.
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 09:12 PM   #6
IlyaMikheyev
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
Ilya - what happened in game 7 - so disappointing.
My teammates wouldn't pass me the puck often enough, I can only do so much
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI688.50