THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Maintenance checklist before first AutoX

04-19-2021, 05:54 PM   #1
daneagles
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Maintenance checklist before first AutoX

Hi all, complete noob here who's looking to try AX for the first time after owning this car for a little over 2 years. I have a '15 RWD that is my daily driver, car is completely stock except for wheels and tires. I am running Apex FL-5 (18x8.5 ET35) wheels with a broken-in but otherwise barely used set of PS4S.

So far my current plan before the first event is new pads (what do people think of EBC Redstuff for DD + occasional autoX? I want street usability with a little more bite and reduced dust compared to OEM), brake fluid, and oil. I am not looking to modify the car for serious competition and lap times, just want to get any preventative maintenance out of the way first.

Is there anything else you would do before starting events? Car is only 37,xxx miles and primarily daily driven with a fair amount of spirited weekend drives, but 0 autoX/track miles so far. Again I'm a complete novice (first ever autoX/track in any car, not just this one) and just want to make sure I'm taking good care of the car. TIA
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 12:29 PM   #2
TwoTonic
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

IMHO, if your car is in good mechanical shape the only thing you need to check is your tire pressure (stock will be fine). If the current pads are good, no point in changing them for your first AX.

Best thing you can do is get there early and walk the course with some experienced folks. Not getting lost in the “sea of cones” is usually the biggest challenge for AX newbies.

Compared to track events, AX is not very demanding on the car. At least not at the beginning!

I am no AX wizard, but my stock M235i is still plenty fun! Thanks to Covid, I’ve only done one AX in this car, though I did quite a few previously in a Porsche 996.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2021, 05:31 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneagles View Post
So far my current plan before the first event is new pads (what do people think of EBC Redstuff for DD + occasional autoX? I want street usability with a little more bite and reduced dust compared to OEM)

Again I'm a complete novice (first ever autoX/track in any car, not just this one)
I don't know EBC's, so I can't comment on them, but generally more bite brings more dust with it. There may be exceptions that other members can point out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTonic View Post
IMHO, if your car is in good mechanical shape the only thing you need to check is your tire pressure (stock will be fine). If the current pads are good, no point in changing them for your first AX.

Best thing you can do is get there early and walk the course with some experienced folks. Not getting lost in the “sea of cones” is usually the biggest challenge for AX newbies.

Compared to track events, AX is not very demanding on the car. At least not at the beginning!
From my experience, this is good advice for your first event (and likely your first few events).

The better the instruction, the sooner you'll absorb the basics and move on to the really fun parts. I used the Evolution Performance Driving School; they had national champions for instructors, so it was fast-paced and a lot of fun. I have no idea if they're still doing schools, though, but as popular as autocross is some outfit's bound to be offering that level of instruction.

Last edited by dradernh; 04-20-2021 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2021, 12:19 PM   #4
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Get there early and walk the track.
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2021, 05:59 PM   #5
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

I'd recommend making sure your wheel lugs are properly tightened (105 lbs-ft), tires are properly inflated, the battery is properly secured, and the car itself is very clean with few to no 'loose items' in the glove box and center console, etc.

If you're planning on using a GoPro or similar, I'd make sure that its charged up the day before, your memory card is emptied with lots of room, and you've installed whatever mounting device you prefer.

Other essentials are sunscreen, water, and snacks. I'd also recommend a roll of contrasting color painters tape for adding numbers and classing info to the car if needed.

Other nice-to-haves are a tire pressure gauge and an air pump to keep your tires at an ideal inflation level, a laser pyrometer to check tire temperatures, and a squirt bottle full of water to spray your tires down between runs if they get too hot.

Beyond that, show up early so you can get your car and helmet inspected if need be, and make it known that you're looking for veteran autox'ers to walk the course with you and (if you're comfortable doing so and its allowable because we are still in a pandemic) asking experienced drivers if they'll allow you to ride with them on one of their runs, or inviting them to ride with you on your runs.

And most importantly, have fun. Its your first time out. You'll be way slower than the veterans, you'll hit cones, miss turns, whatever. Don't beat yourself up over it. You'll get better.
17x9 APEX Arc8-R, 255/40/17 RE71RS, Vorshlag Plates, Swift Spec-R Springs, m-Performance Bumpstops, Dinan ShockWare, Paragon 2-piece rotors, Carbon lip, custom 3" alumalite splitter, GTS wing, FTP Intake and Charge pipe, BootMod3 Stage 1 OTS
Appreciate 3
      05-27-2021, 06:18 PM   #6
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230iZTR View Post
I'd recommend making sure your wheel lugs are properly tightened (105 lbs-ft), tires are properly inflated, the battery is properly secured, and the car itself is very clean with few to no 'loose items' in the glove box and center console, etc.

If you're planning on using a GoPro or similar, I'd make sure that its charged up the day before, your memory card is emptied with lots of room, and you've installed whatever mounting device you prefer.

Other essentials are sunscreen, water, and snacks. I'd also recommend a roll of contrasting color painters tape for adding numbers and classing info to the car if needed.

Other nice-to-haves are a tire pressure gauge and an air pump to keep your tires at an ideal inflation level, a laser pyrometer to check tire temperatures, and a squirt bottle full of water to spray your tires down between runs if they get too hot.

Beyond that, show up early so you can get your car and helmet inspected if need be, and make it known that you're looking for veteran autox'ers to walk the course with you and (if you're comfortable doing so and its allowable because we are still in a pandemic) asking experienced drivers if they'll allow you to ride with them on one of their runs, or inviting them to ride with you on your runs.

And most importantly, have fun. Its your first time out. You'll be way slower than the veterans, you'll hit cones, miss turns, whatever. Don't beat yourself up over it. You'll get better.
Excellent advice!

Re: hitting cones - used to be, some drivers of nice street cars would paste painters tape all over the parts of their cars that they thought might contact cones so that they didn't have to clean the marks left by the cones off later. No idea if that's still a thing or not, or if non-marking cones are in use now.
Appreciate 0