THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Starting down the path to "built" - need tips!

04-06-2021, 10:48 PM   #1
pheeonix
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i xDrive

Question Starting down the path to "built" - need tips!

I'm working on building a '17 M240xi but I've never gotten very far with making meaningful modifications on a vehicle in the past. I've owned and lightly modified both an older '04 325xi and a '11 335xi but didn't get into the real nitty gritty mods.

I have already made a rough plan for what I want to do with my M240. I'd like to get it set up with a Vargas GC upgraded turbo and the supporting mods like fuel and cooling, etc. But I'd like your all's opinions on what I need to be looking at and considering when I am building my car. I am aiming for a "stock+" (just what I call it anyway) build where I have all the power I want but I don't need to give up how it functions or looks (AC, cold weather package, emissions, etc).

I've already replaced the turbo inlet and charge pipe in preparation. I just ordered a hi-flow catted downpipe and will go with an OTS MHD tune once that's installed. But before I got too far into it, I wanted to figure out some method of monitoring my car's data in real time like with a phone and Torque but I strongly dislike the idea of leaving a device in the car that I have to mess with every time I get in the car. I don't want to add too much complexity or thought to going to get ice cream with my wife. I want it to just work.

This led me to find P3 Car's vent gauge and I thought that looked exactly how I wanted it to. I can view a good amount of information and it looks OEM - the only problem was that I can only look at 1 thing at a time.

Everyone I know who has a well-modified car has shown and told me they always keep an eye on multiple things (and please reply what you guys keep an eye on if it's any different!) -- fuel pressure, AF Ratio, boost, oil temp, and oil pressure. Those are the main things most people say they keep an eye on. I was looking for something that would allow me to view multiple values like this but I've been unable to find anything.

I am totally OK with the older JDM style gauge stacks but again, that's maybe max 3 gauges and I've not been able to find any M240 specific pillar gauge panels. And with iDrive, there is some limitation to where I can put my gauges. It's either in the center console ashtray, or on the a-pillar it seems. Has anyone else seen or heard of anything else like this? I've looked at PodWurX but they don't have a 2-series option. Also saw 3D Design's F20/22/87 gauge panel which works but is kind of expensive so wanted to double check here before I committed to anything.

I was honestly looking for something similar to AWRON's products from the E90 (which I wanted but never got around to putting in because I didn't need it) but I can't find anything on AWRON anymore and everything that I have found from them says discontinued.

TL;DR - I'm building my first truly modified vehicle and I have almost no idea what I really need to pay attention to or to look out for. I've lots of ideas but I just need help directing them into reality. What are the most important things I should pay attention to when building my car? What kind of gauge setup would work well in a '17 M240? What kind of gauges should I actually get, as there are a lot of options out there? Which brands are really good and which ones should I avoid?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 04:04 PM   #2
JD11937
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheeonix View Post
I'm working on building a '17 M240xi but I've never gotten very far with making meaningful modifications on a vehicle in the past. I've owned and lightly modified both an older '04 325xi and a '11 335xi but didn't get into the real nitty gritty mods.

I have already made a rough plan for what I want to do with my M240. I'd like to get it set up with a Vargas GC upgraded turbo and the supporting mods like fuel and cooling, etc. But I'd like your all's opinions on what I need to be looking at and considering when I am building my car. I am aiming for a "stock+" (just what I call it anyway) build where I have all the power I want but I don't need to give up how it functions or looks (AC, cold weather package, emissions, etc).

I've already replaced the turbo inlet and charge pipe in preparation. I just ordered a hi-flow catted downpipe and will go with an OTS MHD tune once that's installed. But before I got too far into it, I wanted to figure out some method of monitoring my car's data in real time like with a phone and Torque but I strongly dislike the idea of leaving a device in the car that I have to mess with every time I get in the car. I don't want to add too much complexity or thought to going to get ice cream with my wife. I want it to just work.

This led me to find P3 Car's vent gauge and I thought that looked exactly how I wanted it to. I can view a good amount of information and it looks OEM - the only problem was that I can only look at 1 thing at a time.

Everyone I know who has a well-modified car has shown and told me they always keep an eye on multiple things (and please reply what you guys keep an eye on if it's any different!) -- fuel pressure, AF Ratio, boost, oil temp, and oil pressure. Those are the main things most people say they keep an eye on. I was looking for something that would allow me to view multiple values like this but I've been unable to find anything.

I am totally OK with the older JDM style gauge stacks but again, that's maybe max 3 gauges and I've not been able to find any M240 specific pillar gauge panels. And with iDrive, there is some limitation to where I can put my gauges. It's either in the center console ashtray, or on the a-pillar it seems. Has anyone else seen or heard of anything else like this? I've looked at PodWurX but they don't have a 2-series option. Also saw 3D Design's F20/22/87 gauge panel which works but is kind of expensive so wanted to double check here before I committed to anything.

I was honestly looking for something similar to AWRON's products from the E90 (which I wanted but never got around to putting in because I didn't need it) but I can't find anything on AWRON anymore and everything that I have found from them says discontinued.

TL;DR - I'm building my first truly modified vehicle and I have almost no idea what I really need to pay attention to or to look out for. I've lots of ideas but I just need help directing them into reality. What are the most important things I should pay attention to when building my car? What kind of gauge setup would work well in a '17 M240? What kind of gauges should I actually get, as there are a lot of options out there? Which brands are really good and which ones should I avoid?
It sounds like you are off to a good start. As far as gauges since you are already using mhd you should purchase their data logger, you can customize up to eight digital gauges to be displayed on your phone or tablet and you will want the ability to data log your car anyway. Just find a good spot to mount your device. I also recommend the mhd wifi obd adapter, makes it clean and easy.

I have had the gc turbo installed for almost a year and daily drive my car. It's been solid so far. If you want to use ethanol blends you may also want to consider upgrading your hpfp. I've had the dorch stage 1 and stage 2 pumps and have nothing but good things to say about the company and product. If I was doing it again I would just go straight to the stage 2 pump.

Hope this is helpful.
Appreciate 0