THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums USA - Mid-Atlantic Seeking Purchase Advice in Maryland

04-03-2021, 10:48 AM   #1
MolonLabe
Night Shift
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1988 BMW 528e, 1999 BMW 323is

Question Seeking Purchase Advice in Maryland

Hey, all.

I'm looking at a 2014 M235i for sale in VA, but would be financing the purchase through my credit union and bringing it back to MD.

I'm worried, though, because it has the following modifications:
-VRSF intercooler
-VRSF muffler delete
-RK Tunes catless downpipes
-Racing Dynamics boost and charge pipes
-BMS intake
-RK Tunes remote flash

My gut is telling me to pass on it because the mods will prevent it from passing MD inspection and the car doesn't include the OEM parts from before it was modified.

Any tips or tricks to make this deal work or is my gut to be trusted? I've been riding around in a historic car for the past 6 years and am a bit out of touch with the finer points of purchasing and owning a modded car in Maryland.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 11:47 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I live in Baltimore. car get a safety inspection and no EMISSION INSPECTION ? SO tires and brakes are definitely getting inspected.

https://mva.maryland.gov/vehicles/Pa...tion-info.aspx

Then in 3-mos Emission Test.
https://mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/P...58000-06T.aspx

Is the car up to date registered in VA ? and in what locality ?
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#emissions.asp

You might have to 'work it' to make it meet MD emission. Are you getting a lower price than book value due to the modifications ?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 09:10 AM   #3
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Your gut is correct, perhaps for multiple reasons. All of those mods will make it illegal - can't say if MD will catch them, but if they do you'll get a 'don't drive it 'till you replace them all' notice (and one quick look underhood will give 'em away, nothing stealth there). But to me, more important is that it has obviously been run hard beyond stock configuration. You didn't list mileage, but those mods typically shorten the time to needing new turbos, head gaskets, bearings, suspension/trans parts, etc. Much better off finding a nicely cared for street car and adding the mods (and extra wear) yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 04:45 PM   #4
The Ching
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Your gut is correct, perhaps for multiple reasons. All of those mods will make it illegal - can't say if MD will catch them, but if they do you'll get a 'don't drive it 'till you replace them all' notice (and one quick look underhood will give 'em away, nothing stealth there). But to me, more important is that it has obviously been run hard beyond stock configuration. You didn't list mileage, but those mods typically shorten the time to needing new turbos, head gaskets, bearings, suspension/trans parts, etc. Much better off finding a nicely cared for street car and adding the mods (and extra wear) yourself.
Down pipe is the killer when it comes to the inspection.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 10:30 PM   #5
vandridine
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 xDrive

I wouldn't buy someone's tuned car second hand, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
Appreciate 0