THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Shifting into 5th / 6th gear feels crunchy? CPO 230i

06-21-2021, 08:50 AM   #1
sekhon
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 230i

Shifting into 5th / 6th gear feels crunchy? CPO 230i

I just recently received my CPO 230i w/ M Sport + M track & had it shipped to me as I bought it sight unseen from a BMW dealer the province over.

It go here around 2 weeks ago, and I didn't really get a chance to drive it until this past week as I was busy with some major events in my life, but I tried to drive it every chance I got.

There was so much to love! The way it handled around corners, the way it pulled with the turbo... except the way shifting felt at times; randomly it would feel more difficult. I didn't think much of it, until this past week when I truly got to drive it. I don't think it has gotten progressively worse, I think I have just started to notice truly how awful it is. What cemented it for me was when I just sat in my car and rowed through the gears with the engine off.

Gears 5 & 6 are the main culprits... they feel CRUNCHY to shift into when you try and do it with light pressure. It feels like 6th gear can also get stuck in-between completing the full shift... ?

I want to say the problem does extend to all gears, but it is less prevalent.

Could it be be a bad bushing? Is it a synchro? Is it the gears themselves?

Since the dealer I purchased this vehicle from is a province over, will I have issues with getting this fixed? I understand I have a complete bumper-to-bumper warranty on the vehicle for the next 2 years, but will there be any trouble bringing this to a different dealer? I'm concerned that since I had to wait 2 weeks to bring this to their attention, that for some reason I will have to pay for this out of pocket and they will claim this to be wear and tear.

Previous: Daytona Grey 2018 Teknik A4 w/ Black Optics & All Add-Ons , 2011 Jetta TDI
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 09:20 AM   #2
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhon View Post
I just recently received my CPO 230i w/ M Sport + M track & had it shipped to me as I bought it sight unseen from a BMW dealer the province over.

It go here around 2 weeks ago, and I didn't really get a chance to drive it until this past week as I was busy with some major events in my life, but I tried to drive it every chance I got.

There was so much to love! The way it handled around corners, the way it pulled with the turbo... except the way shifting felt at times; randomly it would feel more difficult. I didn't think much of it, until this past week when I truly got to drive it. I don't think it has gotten progressively worse, I think I have just started to notice truly how awful it is. What cemented it for me was when I just sat in my car and rowed through the gears with the engine off.

Gears 5 & 6 are the main culprits... they feel CRUNCHY to shift into when you try and do it with light pressure. It feels like 6th gear can also get stuck in-between completing the full shift... ?

I want to say the problem does extend to all gears, but it is less prevalent.

Could it be be a bad bushing? Is it a synchro? Is it the gears themselves?

Since the dealer I purchased this vehicle from is a province over, will I have issues with getting this fixed? I understand I have a complete bumper-to-bumper warranty on the vehicle for the next 2 years, but will there be any trouble bringing this to a different dealer? I'm concerned that since I had to wait 2 weeks to bring this to their attention, that for some reason I will have to pay for this out of pocket and they will claim this to be wear and tear.
Not sure on Canada dealers, but in the States there is no issue with taking the car to a local dealer for factory warranty work. I know of no dealer specific after market warranties though.

With your problem, it sounds like the synchro's are out. Double clutching will solve the immediate problem, but since you have a warranty; I say use it. Good luck to you as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 10:31 AM   #3
sekhon
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
Not sure on Canada dealers, but in the States there is no issue with taking the car to a local dealer for factory warranty work. I know of no dealer specific after market warranties though.

With your problem, it sounds like the synchro's are out. Double clutching will solve the immediate problem, but since you have a warranty; I say use it. Good luck to you as well.
I guess in my mind, I was thinking that any dealer treats synchros' as wear and tear... and perhaps the dealer I purchased from would be more willing to see it as a warranty issue. (which it should be in this case! )

I'm sure that I will be fine, but I tend to worry a bit too much.

Should just wait an see what happens really.

Previous: Daytona Grey 2018 Teknik A4 w/ Black Optics & All Add-Ons , 2011 Jetta TDI
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 06:24 PM   #4
sekhon
Canada
Rep

Full transmission replacement ; warranty covered.

Glad this came out of the box than when I would have been out of warranty.

I'm sure this would have come out close to 8K CAD.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 07:25 PM   #5
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Full transmission replacement ; warranty covered.

Glad this came out of the box than when I would have been out of warranty.

I'm sure this would have come out close to 8K CAD.
Good to hear. Sorry you had the problem but at least it's not gonna cost ya.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 08:25 PM   #6
sekhon
Canada
Rep

They ordered a transmission in from Germany, and it should be here in 2/3 weeks, so until then I am stuck driving with this popcorn transmission.

As I have been driving more, I have come to notice that this is issue is present in all gears, just in varying degrees of severity.

How could someone burn through a transmission to severity in 22K miles / 36K km ?

I am sure this shotgun solution of replacing the whole transmission will solve the problem, but a part of me wonders if something else is wrong with the vehicle to have caused this some how, because I just don't understand how someone could have done this in such little time.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 08:08 AM   #7
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
They ordered a transmission in from Germany, and it should be here in 2/3 weeks, so until then I am stuck driving with this popcorn transmission.

As I have been driving more, I have come to notice that this is issue is present in all gears, just in varying degrees of severity.

How could someone burn through a transmission to severity in 22K miles / 36K km ?

I am sure this shotgun solution of replacing the whole transmission will solve the problem, but a part of me wonders if something else is wrong with the vehicle to have caused this some how, because I just don't understand how someone could have done this in such little time.
Using the launch assist without observing proper cooling times or running to redline to often. IMO.
Appreciate 0