THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications 228/F22 Tail Light Stubborn Condensation

06-14-2021, 07:48 AM   #1
ZGadson
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

228/F22 Tail Light Stubborn Condensation

I recently had to replace both tail lights on my '16 228i due to condensation that was so bad it caused the connector to corrode and short circuit the entire tail light board on both sides. One right after the other.

I replaced the lights with used assemblies from Ebay and everything works again, but despite ensuring that seals are tight and there was no condensation inside to start with, there's more condensation inside than was even in the original tail lights. I know this is an issue that BMW would remedy under warranty, but mine ended long ago so I'm at a loss.

Fog light condensation has also been an issue since I had to replace my front bumper (long story short, ended up with an M-Sport bumper kit and had it painted to match), but this is surely out of warranty as well.

I've heard you can buy new tail lights from BMW and they'll reimburse you whether or not you're still under warranty, but it's all subjective so I'd rather not spend $1000+ and cross my fingers that BMW will cut me a check.

That said, has anyone successfully dealt with condensation like this on their own outside of the dealer? Could really use some advice. My car looks horrible and it makes me sad.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 08:05 AM   #2
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
I was able to fix my pre-LCI taillight condensation issues pretty easily. I opened them both up and used RTV blue silicone sealant and applied it along the entire rubber gasket. Let it dry for a few hours and re-install. No issues and it's been over a year.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2021, 12:52 PM   #3
POMFKIMOCHI
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT/RWD EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
I was able to fix my pre-LCI taillight condensation issues pretty easily. I opened them both up and used RTV blue silicone sealant and applied it along the entire rubber gasket. Let it dry for a few hours and re-install. No issues and it's been over a year.
Did you happen to take any photos of your work at the time? Would just like a visualization. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 09:12 AM   #4
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by POMFKIMOCHI View Post
Did you happen to take any photos of your work at the time? Would just like a visualization. Thanks in advance!
I only have this one but you can see where I applied the blue RTV sealant.

Appreciate 2
      10-12-2021, 02:39 PM   #5
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230XI

Garage List
I had the same issue, thankfully warranty replaced it but the guys that took the car said that's a pretty common fix to put new sealant
Appreciate 0