THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning BMW m240 Stage 1 Advice

05-17-2021, 11:10 AM   #1
ChiefSif
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240 xDrive

BMW m240 Stage 1 Advice

Hey BMW Addicts!

I was blessed enough to finally afford a BMW this year and purchased myself the 2018 m240 xDrive with the MPE. The E92 M3 has always been my dream car but after driving the m240 at one of the BMW events I couldn't forget it. Now that I have the car I want to transform it to the vision I have in my mind. Sadly, my knowledge with performance modifications is very limited. I am still trying to read the forums and learn as much as I can, but sometimes it feels like information overload. I've always been into modding but no car I owned had the performance boost potential that this BMW has. I would really appreciate all the advice I can get.

So far for Stage 1 I was considering

-Dinan CAI
-Dinan Stage 1 Flash Tune or BM3?
-Dinan Midpipe (For Sound)
-HJS Euro 6 Sport Calaytic Converter Downpipe or Fabspeed or Active Autowerke Catted Downpipe
-Evolution Racewerks Chargepipe

My goal is to have a clean reliable Stage 1 upgrade. I understand the catless downpipes are better for performance, but I'm from New Jersey where it's pretty strict inspections. Also has anyone tried the Dinan flash tune where you send them the DME and they ship it back? Most enthusiasts have been telling me BM3 is the better choice. It's possible I'd like to go Stage 2 one day. I just don't want to push the car too much.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 08:03 PM   #2
Steakpizza
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefAsif View Post
Hey BMW Addicts!

I was blessed enough to finally afford a BMW this year and purchased myself the 2018 m240 xDrive with the MPE. The E92 M3 has always been my dream car but after driving the m240 at one of the BMW events I couldn't forget it. Now that I have the car I want to transform it to the vision I have in my mind. Sadly, my knowledge with performance modifications is very limited. I am still trying to read the forums and learn as much as I can, but sometimes it feels like information overload. I've always been into modding but no car I owned had the performance boost potential that this BMW has. I would really appreciate all the advice I can get.

So far for Stage 1 I was considering

-Dinan CAI
-Dinan Stage 1 Flash Tune or BM3?
-Dinan Midpipe (For Sound)
-HJS Euro 6 Sport Calaytic Converter Downpipe or Fabspeed or Active Autowerke Catted Downpipe
-Evolution Racewerks Chargepipe

My goal is to have a clean reliable Stage 1 upgrade. I understand the catless downpipes are better for performance, but I'm from New Jersey where it's pretty strict inspections. Also has anyone tried the Dinan flash tune where you send them the DME and they ship it back? Most enthusiasts have been telling me BM3 is the better choice. It's possible I'd like to go Stage 2 one day. I just don't want to push the car too much.
Everything looks good, I would recommend BM3 though for the tune. Support is awesome and it's considered well rounded. Dinan is a bit pricey but does offer insurance if the tune screws something up. BM3 does make quite a bit more power too.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 10:10 PM   #3
vandridine
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 xDrive

I just went through this since my warranty ended earlier this year. My plan is to keep this car long term, so I didn't want a tune which would cause major problems only a few years down the line.

I decided to go with the dinan stage 1 tune. At the end of the day, BM3 and the other tuners don't back up their products, dinan trusts their product enough to match the BMW warranty.

Are the BM3 tunes faster? Sure, but I am not looking for the fastest car, I want one that wont blow up after a few years. Each shop I spoke to had horror stories of BM3 tunes blowing up engines, and all said to avoid it.

I know the forums love BM3, but I am trusting the BMW shops in my area who work on BMW's for a living over anything random people on this website or facebook claim.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 07:31 AM   #4
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I had the Dinan stg 1 tuner for 45,000 miles. Once my car was broken in and past the 5000 mile mark I bought one, I had no issues other than the Dinan harness needed replacing (done by Dinan under warranty). Once my warranty was over @ 50,000 miles I made the switch to BM3, I have no complaints so far for the next 17,000 miles, yes the car is a lot quicker but it runs well and I've driven in much the same fashion as before.

Long story short version - once warranty is over be prepared to pay when something breaks, if you can't tolerate that fact do not tune your car and get a new one once warranty is up.
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 10:06 AM   #5
ChiefSif
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steakpizza View Post
Everything looks good, I would recommend BM3 though for the tune. Support is awesome and it's considered well rounded. Dinan is a bit pricey but does offer insurance if the tune screws something up. BM3 does make quite a bit more power too.
Dinan is actually less than BM3 ($595) at the moment

https://www.dinancars.com/blog/post/...ftware_flash_/

BM3 seems to be the enthusiast's choice. Even more loved than MHD.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 10:09 AM   #6
ChiefSif
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandridine View Post
I just went through this since my warranty ended earlier this year. My plan is to keep this car long term, so I didn't want a tune which would cause major problems only a few years down the line.

I decided to go with the dinan stage 1 tune. At the end of the day, BM3 and the other tuners don't back up their products, dinan trusts their product enough to match the BMW warranty.

Are the BM3 tunes faster? Sure, but I am not looking for the fastest car, I want one that wont blow up after a few years. Each shop I spoke to had horror stories of BM3 tunes blowing up engines, and all said to avoid it.

I know the forums love BM3, but I am trusting the BMW shops in my area who work on BMW's for a living over anything random people on this website or facebook claim.

My car is 40k miles and I also want to keep it long term without any MAJOR repairs. Can you fully describe your experience with Dinan Stage 1? I'm assuming it's the flash tune. Compared to stock, how does it feel?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 10:12 AM   #7
ChiefSif
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
I had the Dinan stg 1 tuner for 45,000 miles. Once my car was broken in and past the 5000 mile mark I bought one, I had no issues other than the Dinan harness needed replacing (done by Dinan under warranty). Once my warranty was over @ 50,000 miles I made the switch to BM3, I have no complaints so far for the next 17,000 miles, yes the car is a lot quicker but it runs well and I've driven in much the same fashion as before.

Long story short version - once warranty is over be prepared to pay when something breaks, if you can't tolerate that fact do not tune your car and get a new one once warranty is up.
Yes Wolf, you're completely correct. Don't tune if you can't expect a level of risk. Not many M240 drivers have reviewed the flash tune Dinan put out so I was wondering how far less superior it is to BM3. By the way where do you get the mods done in NJ? Looking for a shop that can do all my performance and exterior mods.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 10:13 AM   #8
Finn Germai-Yaz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

I've been BM3 for about 2 month's now. It's the second car I've flashed with BM3. I don't drive the car hard that much and it's been reliable.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #9
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
As far as being inferior / superior - They are both smooth, the latest version of BM3 Stage 1 or 2 are very smooth. My Dinan was factory smooth but with more power. The BM3 is as smooth but there is just more power everywhere, the mid range is especially notably stronger.

I just came from a 2000 mile plus road trip which involved a lot of very spirited mountain road driving and the car didn't miss a beat. Nothing but good things to say about BM3.

I am in SJ near Cherry Hill, for routine maintenance I go to M D Motorwerke Inc 111 N White Horse Pike, Somerdale, NJ 08083. For mod related stuff I go to BimmerWorks in West Chester PA, especially for suspension related work and alignment.

Quote:
Yes Wolf, you're completely correct. Don't tune if you can't expect a level of risk. Not many M240 drivers have reviewed the flash tune Dinan put out so I was wondering how far less superior it is to BM3. By the way where do you get the mods done in NJ? Looking for a shop that can do all my performance and exterior mods.
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 07:08 PM   #10
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: customE50Tune

Mhd
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 07:20 PM   #11
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

I've had the Dinan flash tune on my car since last August. it's super smooth and hits extra hard lower in rpm range but seems to fall a bit flat in midrange. I'm sure BMS is more powerful but I like the peace of mind offered with the Dinan tune. also I highly recommend the Dinan midpipe with the MP exhaust. my favorite mod of all so far! but it will wake up your neighbors on cold start up in the morning! lol
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      05-18-2021, 08:42 PM   #12
JD11937
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

The last poster brings up a big difference between bm3/mhd and dinan, a lack of options. Both bm3/mhd offer many options beyond just making your car faster. In my opinion the only reason to go Dinan is if you want the warranty, besides that it's an inferior product in every way. Bm3/mhd also continue to improve their product, coming out with updates regularly. At the end of of the day do what you are comfortable with, you can always change platforms if you change your mind. It's a learning process but the one thing I can promise is once you start modifying your car it gets very hard to stop!
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2021, 12:26 AM   #13
ChiefSif
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
As far as being inferior / superior - They are both smooth, the latest version of BM3 Stage 1 or 2 are very smooth. My Dinan was factory smooth but with more power. The BM3 is as smooth but there is just more power everywhere, the mid range is especially notably stronger.

I just came from a 2000 mile plus road trip which involved a lot of very spirited mountain road driving and the car didn't miss a beat. Nothing but good things to say about BM3.

I am in SJ near Cherry Hill, for routine maintenance I go to M D Motorwerke Inc 111 N White Horse Pike, Somerdale, NJ 08083. For mod related stuff I go to BimmerWorks in West Chester PA, especially for suspension related work and alignment.

I'm actually from Central Jersey but according to Jersey residents there no such thing as Central Jersey, only North and South. Originally from New York

I must say that's a coincidence because I spoke to Steve from Bimmerworks in PA and he is the one that encouraged me to go with Dinan over BM3. He says he's fixed BMWs with BM3 issues and that Dinan is safer. But then all the enthusiasts on this forum love BM3 and have ran it without issues. So you can see why I am being so indecisive.

I also have to ask you how often do you get your oil change with the tune. I have the BMW maintenance package but they don't change the oil ever 3k miles. Honestly the individual whom I purchased the car off of said BMW changes it every 10k miles. That definitely can't be healthy if I tune the car correct? Need your advice on this matter too.

I can see how BM3 is more powerful. I think the honest truth is staying up on the maintenance when running BM3. Any advice on what to watch out for? Or the maintenance you do every 3-4k miles? I am sure it would help a lot of people reading this as well.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      05-19-2021, 12:28 AM   #14
ChiefSif
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaucoupe135 View Post
I've had the Dinan flash tune on my car since last August. it's super smooth and hits extra hard lower in rpm range but seems to fall a bit flat in midrange. I'm sure BMS is more powerful but I like the peace of mind offered with the Dinan tune. also I highly recommend the Dinan midpipe with the MP exhaust. my favorite mod of all so far! but it will wake up your neighbors on cold start up in the morning! lol
I spoke to a former BMW mechanic who has his own shop now that said Dinan can potentially even slow the car down when compared to stock... I doubt that's the case with the M240. He also said he wouldn't even tune the car if he couldn't go with BM3. His opinion on the matter has made it even more difficult for me to choose.

From my research I've concluded that BM3 is the popular choice for M240 enthusiasts. MHD I haven't heard much about but I did speak to a Youtuber who posted his M240 with MHD racing a BM3 M4. Here's the video.

Even though Dinan's flash tune is less popular I believe it may the most reliable long term. As said on this forum, Dinan has never been about pure power. I would love it if you could post a dashboard video going 0-80mph. That would be very helpful especially for those like myself who can't pick the tune they want. Really curious to see the lower RPM power you mentioned.

Last edited by ChiefSif; 05-19-2021 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 12:45 AM   #15
ChiefSif
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD11937 View Post
The last poster brings up a big difference between bm3/mhd and dinan, a lack of options. Both bm3/mhd offer many options beyond just making your car faster. In my opinion the only reason to go Dinan is if you want the warranty, besides that it's an inferior product in every way. Bm3/mhd also continue to improve their product, coming out with updates regularly. At the end of of the day do what you are comfortable with, you can always change platforms if you change your mind. It's a learning process but the one thing I can promise is once you start modifying your car it gets very hard to stop!
Modifying is an addiction. I reached a point where I put 20inch Vossens on my Nissan Maxima. Keep in my in mind I was in college. Couldn't afford a BMW at the time so I pimped out my Maxima to the upmost level. Spend around 7-8k total on the car. Performance mods were limited, so I went full out on aesthetic mods.

If you have BM3 currently, videos would be so helpful if you are comfortable posting any. Even on youtube is hard to find m240 videos reviewing the bm3 tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 06:35 AM   #16
JD11937
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

It's also not just about power levels that makes a tune safe but how healthy the car runs, driveability is especially important if you daily the car. I've never see a dinan log but it would be great if someone could post for us to compare.

Maintenance is everything and just like tuning platforms you will find varying recommendations. My personal approach since buying my car in 17' is 5w40 oil change every 5,000 miles. I don't recommend going longer than 5,000 miles because people have seen their oil filters fall apart, it's not that the oil can't last longer. I have an x-drive car so I change both differential fluids and transfer case fluid every 30,000 miles and my auto trans fluid every 50,000 miles as recorded by ZF. Brake fluid you want to do at least every two years, I've switched to a race fluid so I do it every year now. Spark plugs I do every 20,000 miles.

For reference my car has been mhd stage 2, 2+, now 3 with over 50,000 miles and not a single problem (fingers crossed).

Hope this is helpful.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 07:25 AM   #17
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Steve @ Bimmerworks is a Dinan dealer so has a vested interest in promoting it. Dinan is ultimately less total stress on the drivetrain due to making less power, they also have the peace of mind with your warranty while your car is still under warranty. So that's your choice, it's ultimately up to your comfort level.

As far as how I treat my car - some might call it over kill:
  1. 1st oil changes was @ 1250 miles
  2. Next oil change was at 2500 miles
  3. Third oil change was 5000 miles
  4. Every oil change after has been at a 5000 mile interval
  5. Coolant is changed @ 30,000 interval
  6. Differential and gearbox fluid is changed at 30,0000 interval
  7. Sparkplugs 20,000 mile interval
  8. I do not drive it over 3000 rpm until my oil temps are past 180F
  9. No going heavily into boost (more than 2 psi) until oil temps are past 180F
  10. I have been using 5W40 oil from the first oil change

This may not be for everyone, but it's worked well for the 67,000 miles I've put on the car, and when it's at operating temps I do make use of it willingly but I don't abuse the car unnecessarily - like doing burnouts etc.

Quote:
I'm actually from Central Jersey but according to Jersey residents there no such thing as Central Jersey, only North and South. Originally from New York

I must say that's a coincidence because I spoke to Steve from Bimmerworks in PA and he is the one that encouraged me to go with Dinan over BM3. He says he's fixed BMWs with BM3 issues and that Dinan is safer. But then all the enthusiasts on this forum love BM3 and have ran it without issues. So you can see why I am being so indecisive.

I also have to ask you how often do you get your oil change with the tune. I have the BMW maintenance package but they don't change the oil ever 3k miles. Honestly the individual whom I purchased the car off of said BMW changes it every 10k miles. That definitely can't be healthy if I tune the car correct? Need your advice on this matter too.

I can see how BM3 is more powerful. I think the honest truth is staying up on the maintenance when running BM3. Any advice on what to watch out for? Or the maintenance you do every 3-4k miles? I am sure it would help a lot of people reading this as well.

Last edited by WolfGTI; 05-19-2021 at 07:38 AM..
Appreciate 0