THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Strange scratching sound on deceleration

03-10-2021, 08:00 AM   #1
drdeus96
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW m240iX Black Sapphire

Strange scratching sound on deceleration

Yesterday was the first day after a long winter that it was warm enough for me to roll the windows all the way down. After doing so and entering my neighborhood, I noticed there is a scratching sound only off throttle deceleration.

At first, I could only hear the noise ~2000 low RPM, and when the wind noise wasnt too bad ~20mph. Drove around and realized I can consistently reproduce the noise at any speed, so long as I let off the throttle.

When letting off the throttle, I can hear the burble, along with 1-2 consistent noises I can describe as metallic scratching, or hissing. It's not very loud, but can definitely can hear it while standing outside of the car.

I've tested in all modes, and it appears in each mode, in other forums, people say it's the exhaust valve, but I'm not sure it would happen so frequently and consistently.

any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Sound clip for reference
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 10:07 AM   #2
drdeus96
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW m240iX Black Sapphire

[update] i unplugged the valved exhaust and the noise went away. when i plugged it back in, the sound came back.

maybe my exhaust valve is jammed or something, seems like the source of the noise.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 03:10 PM   #3
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdeus96 View Post
Yesterday was the first day after a long winter that it was warm enough for me to roll the windows all the way down. After doing so and entering my neighborhood, I noticed there is a scratching sound only off throttle deceleration.

At first, I could only hear the noise ~2000 low RPM, and when the wind noise wasnt too bad ~20mph. Drove around and realized I can consistently reproduce the noise at any speed, so long as I let off the throttle.

When letting off the throttle, I can hear the burble, along with 1-2 consistent noises I can describe as metallic scratching, or hissing. It's not very loud, but can definitely can hear it while standing outside of the car.

I've tested in all modes, and it appears in each mode, in other forums, people say it's the exhaust valve, but I'm not sure it would happen so frequently and consistently.

any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Sound clip for reference
Hey. Funny you should post this. I went for a drive today and sure enough, I have what sounds like mice scratching around for a second or so on deceleration. I can only really hear mine in 1st thru 3rd due to wind noise. I have a MGF tune and was getting ready to return to stock to see if problem goes away.

Sadly I can't hear your video recording scratching due to wind noise. It be interesting to see if it's the same sound. You running a tune by chance?

Last edited by jgalaxy; 04-05-2021 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 03:16 PM   #4
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdeus96 View Post
[update] i unplugged the valved exhaust and the noise went away. when i plugged it back in, the sound came back.

maybe my exhaust valve is jammed or something, seems like the source of the noise.
Good to hear you found the source. When you unplug it does it open the exhaust valve or does it just leave it in its current position (which can be open or closed)?
      04-07-2021, 08:50 AM   #5
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
Good to hear you found the source. When you unplug it does it open the exhaust valve or does it just leave it in its current position (which can be open or closed)?
Should be left in current position.
Appreciate 0