THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Understanding Traffic / Detour Navigation Screen

12-05-2017, 08:47 PM   #1
GizmoRN72
Rep
Drives: 228i xDrive Convertible

Question Understanding Traffic / Detour Navigation Screen

I have a 2015 228i xDrive with factory installed navigation system. Looking for help in understanding the screen info when it displays traffic delay or detour recommended. A current screen shot is posted for reference. Owner's manual for navigation not helpful and searching online hasn't been fruitful. Thank you in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 01:48 AM   #2
AbuQutaita
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I used to have a 2015 M235i, and if I remember correctly, here's how to read it:

|---| +15 min === how much longer it'll take on the current route due to traffic/incident
Detour in 4.4 mi === (self explanatory)

------ 5:10 pm 12 mi === ETA and miles remaining for current route
_---_ -11 min +0.0 mi === time saved and extra miles by using detour
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 03:18 AM   #3
GizmoRN72
Rep
Drives: 228i xDrive Convertible

Thank you. Very helpful
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

How reliable and useful is the detour stuff?

I don't have it on my 2014 but always wondered..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

I've found the usefulness of the alternate routes iffy at best. Took a couple long road trip this summer and at least twice it was the dumb option.

First time it vectored me around a well known bridge construction project that had been going on for months. I thought I might see how the alternate routes would do. Well, the alternate route put me right in the middle of the local county fair that week. Certainly not faster, and obviously not aware of local traffic.

Next time it offered a route around another construction project. Traffic was really backed up, so I took the option. The alternate path led me to the next freeway entrance, which was across the missing bridge being replaced by the construction project. Doh! To be fair, there were probably a dozen other cars that were the led same way by their GPS. Went old school, pulled out the Rand McNally, and found my own route around.

I suspect the alternate routes work better in urban areas with more traffic info. Although, I've also seen it suggest dumb things in areas I know well. If you really want to play the traffic dodging GPS game, a dedicated app like Waze is likely better.

That long trip really taught me to take the GPS suggestions with a grain of salt. These weren't the only funky choices it sent me on. Now I always check real maps and/or Google before blindly following the Nav, and of course, some common sense always helps.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      12-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #6
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

I like waze better for detouring. When we left Fla last year there was a monster delay due to an accident on 95 North. Followed waze and it put us above the mess and saw some nice scenery rather than boring 95. I like maps as well on my iPhone.
Appreciate 0