THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Paddle Shifter and Dynamic Cruise Control wiring to FEM

05-10-2023, 05:42 PM   #1
boldorider4
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i F22

Paddle Shifter and Dynamic Cruise Control wiring to FEM

Hi all,

I'm currently exploring the possibility of a retrofit of paddle shifters and dynamic cruise control to my 2015 F22.

My car comes from the factory with NO BUTTONS AT ALL on the steering wheel and obviously no paddle shifter either, although I have an 8-speed automatic transmission.

Today I took the steering wheel off to check if all connections are there (since my steering wheel does not feature any buttons). Find below a picture of how it looks. Do you guys think the sole fact that the connector is there is guarantee for my car to be pre-wired for those buttons?

Another thing I did was to check whether my FEM module is pre-wired for paddle shifters.
As per this YT video, that should resolve to pin n.5 being physically present on the connector that wires the steering column to the FEM socket. Please find below a picture of front and back of that connector. You can see I highlighted what I believe is the pin that may prove if my car is pre-wired for paddle shifters.

So the question is: given the pictures of the connectors, is there any expert of F22 FEM modules that can confirm or deny my theories? Is there a quick way to prove whether dynamic cruise control buttons (LIM, RES, etc.) and paddle shifters are pre-wired?

Last edited by boldorider4; 05-11-2023 at 02:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 01:53 PM   #2
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Here are all wires from steering column to FEM
5 Signal Shift paddles Steering column switch cluster
6 Ground Steering column switch cluster
7 Power supply, terminal 30F Steering column switch cluster
8 LIN bus signal Steering column switch cluster
9 LIN bus signal Steering column switch cluster
10 Ground Steering column switch cluster

The dynamic cruise control communicates through the lin bus to FEM. So i think you are pre wired.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 02:54 PM   #3
boldorider4
Private
Rep

TheNine90
Hey Thank you so much for the info!
By the way, I already know that SA for Dynamic cruise control is S544A and I gotta VO-code:
  • FEM_BODY
  • ICMQ
  • KOMBI

Is there any other SA code for the Multifunktion buttons? Meaning those on the right-hand side of the wheel where volume, phone, mode, +, - are placed.

Because my original SA order has no multifunction buttons, so I guess I have to add them somehow. Or are those already included in the S544A SALAPA-Element? And if so, which ECU must be VO-coded?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 01:55 AM   #4
TheNine90
Banned
Rep

Add this 249 MULTIFUNCTION_F0R_STEERING_WHEEL
Code all these modules(even for 544 alone)
ICM
KOMBI
HU
FEM
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 09:01 AM   #5
boldorider4
Private
Rep

Thanks a lot TheNine90 !

By the way I think I also have to add the following:

FEM_01 --> 3190 PfSteeringWheelPaddles --> PADDLES_VERBAUT --> aktiv

for the paddle shifters to work, right?

By the way, I do understand the utility of adding S249A + S544A to have Mulfuktion für Lenkrad + Geschwindigkeitsregelung mit Bremsfunkt..
I'm just a little confused as to which value for the following parameter best suits my case since I will be retrofitting an M-Sport Steering Wheel:

FEM_01 --> 3140 PfLinSteeringWheel --> LIN_VARIANTE_MFL --> ???

Because I believe S249A + S544A alone will not determine which version of the steering wheel I have and how to buttons on the MFL are layed out. Is it perhaps irrelevant since S544A already dictates a standard layout common to all steering wheels?
The potentially correct values that I'm looking at for LIN_VARIANTE_MFL are:
  • DCC_Basis --> is this the basic non-sport, non-M steering wheel?
  • DCC_Sports --> and this is Sportslederlenkrad (Sport leather wheel) or the M-Sport Lederlenkrad (the one I'm retrofitting)?
  • M-Sport --> is this even DCC?
  • Basis_Low --> is this even DCC?
  • Sport_Low --> is this even DCC or M-Sport steering wheel?
  • DCC_M_Drive --> What even is M-drive?

I can only exclude all values that have SLD in their literals as those are reserved to steering wheels with the LIM function only (no real DCC). I want real DCC with SET, RES, CC functions.

Last edited by boldorider4; 05-14-2023 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 01:29 PM   #6
TheNine90
Banned
Rep

Here is affected Functions using 249+544

ICMQL
Daten 3000 > C_Fahrfunktion = dcc (01)
Daten 3000 > C_MF_Lenkrad = verbaut (01)
Daten 3000 > C_SLD_Funktion = nicht aktiv (00) (Default)

KOMBI L7_MID
ERM_Konfiguration 3004 > DISP_LDM_1_ALIVE = aktiv (01) (Default)
ERM_Konfiguration 3004 > DISP_LDM_1_APPL = aktiv (01) (Default)
ERM_Konfiguration 3004 > DISP_LDM_1_CRC = aktiv (01) (Default)
ERM_Konfiguration 3004 > DISP_LDM_1_TIMEOUT = aktiv (01) (Default)
FZG_Ausstattung 3003 > HUD_ACC_DCC_ENABLE = nicht_aktiv (00) (Default)
FZG_Ausstattung 3003 > LDM_VERBAUT = dcc (01)
PIA_Einheiten 3008 > HUD_PIA_ACC_DCC = nicht_aktiv (00) (Default)

HU_CICHB
EXBOX 3001 > DCC = aktiv (01)
EXBOX 3001 > HUD_SPEEDCONTROL = aktiv (01)
HMI 3000 > SLD = nicht_aktiv (00) (Default)
HMI 3000 > SVS = nicht_aktiv (00) (Default)
HMI 3000 > SYSTEM_TTS = nicht_aktiv (00) (Default)
TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > MICROPHONE = no_microphone (00) (Default)

FEM_01
PfLinSteeringWheel 3140 > LIN_VARIANTE_LRE = nicht_aktiv (FF) (Default)
PfLinSteeringWheel 3140 > LIN_VARIANTE_MFL = DCC_Basic (50)
PfLinSteeringWheel 3140 > MFL_VERBAUT = aktiv (01) (Default)

For paddle its correct.
Esys should be able to figure out correct values. Just make sure everything is correct in the FA. DCC_Basis is the correct one.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2023, 05:05 AM   #7
boldorider4
Private
Rep

Quick update: I bought an M-sport steering wheel with DCC, MFL buttons and paddle shifters already fitted to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNine90 View Post
Here is affected Functions using 249+544

ICMQL [...]
KOMBI L7_MID [...]
HU_CICHB [...]
FEM_01 [...]

For paddle its correct.
Esys should be able to figure out correct values. Just make sure everything is correct in the FA. DCC_Basis is the correct one.
Thanks so much TheNine90! MFL, LIM function and paddle shifters work!
By the way, I ended up changing a couple of values compared to yours and added a few more. Namely:

Code:
ICMQ
(*) Daten 3000 > C_SLD_Funktion = aktiv
(*) Daten 3000 > C_Umschaltung_ACC_DCC = zugelassen

KOMBI
(*) 3000 > SLD_ENABLE = aktiv

HU_NBT2
(*) HMI 3000 > SLD = aktiv
(*) HMI 3000 > MFL = aktiv
(*) HMI 3000 > DCC = aktiv

FEM_01
(**) PfLinSteeringWheel 3140 > LIN_VARIANTE_MFL = DCC_Sport_SLD
I did (*) because I have a LIM button on my steering wheel and I'd like this function to be reflected. Otherwise LIM would act as SET.
I did (**) to get rid of an error in the 0x40 Central Access System ECU, namely:
Code:
030411: Multifunction steering wheel (MFL): wrong variant
I guess the CAS detects that my steering wheel has a LIM button (as opposed to SET) and needed to see the *_SLD variant being set from the FEM.
SLD stands for Speed Limiter Device, so I it all makes sense.

DCC itself still doesn't work, I get an error from the 0x1C Integrated Chassis Management ECU when I push the CC button followed by the RES button, namely:
Code:
48002D: LDM function - high-level operational readiness combi
I'm guessing this is due to the KOMBI not being ready for DCC (CC, LIM LED and LED circle around odometer are missing).

Last edited by boldorider4; 05-22-2023 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 05:29 AM   #8
boldorider4
Private
Rep

By the way, I just bought a 6WA kombi (not the black panel version but the early one). This should be compatible with DCC.

The kombi I bought was made on 09.04.2013, so it will supposedly have an 2013-03 I-Step level, whereas the I-Step in my car is 2015-03. I'm hoping this won't be the cause of incompatibilities between FEM_BODY, FEM_GW and KOMBI. And perhaps also ICMQ.

Does anyone think the Kombi should be flashed with an updated I-Step? Unfortunately I don't have a PSDzData Full for 2015-03. I only have one for 2018-03, 2022-11 and 2023-03. So the nearest I-Step to that of my car that I can update the KOMBI with is 2018-03 (3 year difference from 2015-03).

Alternatively I can flash all involved ECU's (FEM_GW, FEM_BODY, ICMQ and KOMBI) to 2018-03 or 2022-11 I-Step level. Then they should definitely work with one another.

In this post I read that only KOMBI and FEM_GW should have a similar enough I-Step level for the DCC to work.

Any thoughts on this? TheNine90, shawnsheridan
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 08:38 AM   #9
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldorider4 View Post
By the way, I just bought a 6WA kombi (not the black panel version but the early one). This should be compatible with DCC.

The kombi I bought was made on 09.04.2013, so it will supposedly have an 2013-03 I-Step level, whereas the I-Step in my car is 2015-03. I'm hoping this won't be the cause of incompatibilities between FEM_BODY, FEM_GW and KOMBI. And perhaps also ICMQ.

Does anyone think the Kombi should be flashed with an updated I-Step? Unfortunately I don't have a PSDzData Full for 2015-03. I only have one for 2018-03, 2022-11 and 2023-03. So the nearest I-Step to that of my car that I can update the KOMBI with is 2018-03 (3 year difference from 2015-03).

Alternatively I can flash all involved ECU's (FEM_GW, FEM_BODY, ICMQ and KOMBI) to 2018-03 or 2022-11 I-Step level. Then they should definitely work with one another.

In this post I read that only KOMBI and FEM_GW should have a similar enough I-Step level for the DCC to work.

Any thoughts on this? TheNine90, shawnsheridan
I'd flash FEM_GW, FEM_BODY, ICMQ and KOMBI with latest.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 01:48 PM   #10
boldorider4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
I'd flash FEM_GW, FEM_BODY, ICMQ and KOMBI with latest.
Thanks for the tip shawnsheridan!!
By the way, flashing those specific ECU's to latest I-Step level, will it not cause issues with other ECU's that are not on latest I-Step, even if they're not involved in DCC?

Also, does flashing with E-Sys usually occur over HTTP? Because I remember for the NBTevo I had to make sure ethernet was reachable for the HU otherwise flashing would occur over UDS and would take forever. Is this also the case with other ECU's? Can HTTP flashing also occur over the OBD2 port?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 01:54 PM   #11
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the tip shawnsheridan!!
By the way, flashing those specific ECU's to latest I-Step level, will it not cause issues with other ECU's that are not on latest I-Step, even if they're not involved in DCC?

Also, does flashing with E-Sys usually occur over HTTP? Because I remember for the NBTevo I had to make sure ethernet was reachable for the HU otherwise flashing would occur over UDS and would take forever. Is this also the case with other ECU's? Can HTTP flashing also occur over the OBD2 port?
I have no way of knowing what if any dependencies exist.

Flash Protocol is selectable in Flash TAL, with HTTP being the default.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 02:04 PM   #12
boldorider4
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have no way of knowing what if any dependencies exist.

Flash Protocol is selectable in Flash TAL, with HTTP being the default.
Alright cool! How long does flashing of an ECU typically take over HTTP? Are we talking minutes? Can I also flash with the engine on (as long as I only flash ICMQ, FEM_BODY, FEM_GW, KOMBI)?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 02:07 PM   #13
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Alright cool! How long does flashing of an ECU typically take over HTTP? Are we talking minutes? Can I also flash with the engine on (as long as I only flash ICMQ, FEM_BODY, FEM_GW, KOMBI)?
Flash time varies by ECU, and the firmware itself. Can be 2 minutes on small ECU or up to 1 hour in case of Head Unit, assuming HTTP Protocol. UDS would be way slower.

No, motor can NOT be running. Flash puts car in Transport Mode, which would kill motor, cause flash to crash, and possible ECU firmware corruption.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 02:28 PM   #14
boldorider4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Flash time varies by ECU, and the firmware itself. Can be 2 minutes on small ECU or up to 1 hour in case of Head Unit, assuming HTTP Protocol. UDS would be way slower.

No, motor can NOT be running. Flash puts car in Transport Mode, which would kill motor, cause flash to crash, and possible ECU firmware corruption.
Thanks for the info! How long does flashing take on ICMQ and FEM_BODY, FEM_GW, KOMBI?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 02:40 PM   #15
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the info! How long does flashing take on ICMQ and FEM_BODY, FEM_GW, KOMBI?
I'm not going to predict. Too many variables like current firmware and target firmware. FEM_BODY is the biggest one, and will take the longest. I would not flash FEM_GW without a known good reason for doing so.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 03:03 PM   #16
boldorider4
Private
Rep

Quote:
I would not flash FEM_GW without a known good reason for doing so.
Well the good reason here would be to have DCC working with the new cluster I'm retrofitting...is it good enough a reason?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 03:06 PM   #17
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well the good reason here would be to have DCC working with the new cluster I'm retrofitting...is it good enough a reason?
Only if you are sure Gateway module flash is required for DCC to function.

Appreciate 1
      06-09-2023, 06:13 AM   #18
boldorider4
Private
Rep

That's it folks, I was successful in retrofitting the 6WA Kombi and activate cruise control and all MFL functions!
First of all, I needed a different instrument cluster, because my BKOMBI (basic kombi, the one with the tiny LCD at the bottom) was not able to handle DCC since it was missing the green ring LED around the speedometer and the CC LED in the middle. So you guys need to make sure you have a KOMBI that is able to handle CC, meaning it has those LEDs.

Basically the quick summary is:
  1. First and foremost, if you're retrofitting a 6WA kombi from a basic kombi, you need to delete BKOMBI entry in the SVT (after clicking on Read SVT) and write the modified SVT into the car VCM SVT-Target so E-Sys can correctly display the KOMBI in the ECU list.
  2. Code S249A + S544A to have Mulfuktion für Lenkrad + Geschwindigkeitsregelung mit Bremsfunkt. on following ECUs
    • KOMBI
    • HU_NBT2
    • ICMQ
    • FEM_BODY
  3. 6WA Kombi is from 2013-04-09 so I needed to also code the following
    • SPA_IST_GANG_ENABLE --> nicht_aktiv, otherwise gear is not displayed
    • KOMBI_CIC --> kombi_mid
    • KOMBI_RES --> mid
    • NAVICOLOR_TABLE --> farbwelt_id5 (this one will require a fairly recent I-Step of your Kombi, otherwise the value will default to 'neue_farbtabelle' and the navigation inside the cluster will display some arrows in gray as opposed to white...not a big detail but it could be annoying).
  4. NBTevo needs to communicate to Kombi over MOST, so MOST cable needs to be installed between the two.
  5. it is crucial that certain HU_NBT2 CAFD values get set accordingly
    • MFL --> aktiv
    • DCC --> aktiv
    • EXTERNER_MOST --> aktiv
    • EXTERNE_MOST_DIAG --> aktiv (you may not have this one on newer NBTevo I-Step)
    • ECO_CONF_SAILING --> aktiv (this is super important otherwise when you go to ECO pro driving mode, the coasting function will not work)
    • GLOBAL_CONF_SAILING --> nicht_aktiv (this would enable a sailing override check box in the eco pro setting that is uselss)
    • EFF_DYN_SAILING --> aktiv
  6. FEM_BODY CAFD values also needs to be coded for MFL and paddle shifters"
    • MFL_VERBAUT --> aktiv
    • PADDLES_VERBAUT --> aktiv
  7. To have LIM function besides DCC (most people will want it, it's the button in place of the SET button on steering wheel)
    • ICMQ --> C_SLD_Funktion --> aktiv
    • ICMQ --> C_Umschaltung_ACC_DCC --> zugelassen
    • KOMBI --> SLD_ENABLE --> aktiv
    • FEM_BODY --> LIN_VARIANTE_MFL --> DCC_Sport_SLD
    • HU_NBT2 --> SLD --> aktiv

Last edited by boldorider4; 06-09-2023 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0