THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Are CM wheels any good?

02-09-2021, 10:52 PM   #1
ahakim24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I XDRIVE

Garage List
Are CM wheels any good?

Im looking to get a new set of wheels this spring and I really love the M2 CS style wheels. I dont wanna spend the rediculous price for the real deal and ive heard the cm wheels replicas are decent. i heard apex and oz wheels are great wheels for the money and are only a few hundred dollars more than the CM wheels due to the high shipping cost on the CM wheels. What are your guys thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 04:46 AM   #2
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

Generally speaking, for performance applications you want to pick the correct width and offset first, then pick the lowest weight you can afford in that size.

Cast wheels are inexpensive and are usually just as heavy and soft as the stock OEM wheels. They can be a good change of style, but you won't gain much performance, so most people here don't bother with them.

Semi-forged (or rotary forged or flow-formed, etc...all trade words for the same thing) wheels from Apex, OZ, Forgestar, VMR, certain BBS, etc are popular here because they offer a good balance between light weight and low cost in wheels with the right width and offset for the 2er.

Moving up a notch to forged wheels from Apex Forged, Titan, BBS, BC Forged, Volk, etc further increases the strength and reduces weight at a higher cost point.

Looking at CM Wheels' website, I can't really tell how much any of them weigh or if they're cast or semi-forged. Several of their designs look like reproductions of well known wheels. If you're really pleased with the style, go for it, but otherwise I'd suggest saving a bit more for the lighter option from a more popular brand.
17x9 APEX Arc8-R, 255/40/17 RE71Rs, Vorshlag Plates, Swift Spec-R Springs, m-Performance Bumpstops, Dinan ShockWare, Paragon 2-piece rotors, Carbon lip, FTP Intake and Charge pipe, BootMod3 Stage 1 OTS
Appreciate 4
      02-22-2021, 01:08 AM   #3
theduke
Rep
Drives: 2014 M325i

I'm running the CM763 reps Satin Gold.
19X8.5 ET40 Front
19X9.5 ET45 Rear
Fit and finish is pretty good, balanced out well.
Weight was slightly less per corner than the factory wheels with runflats. I don't track the car and eventually will look into something forged but a buddy removed the brand new P-Zeros from his Audi and donated them to the cause in the exact size I wanted. Was going to have to replace the runflats in the spring anyway so even though I hate P-Zeros they were free and I got to use the cash for wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 11:03 AM   #4
f22b58
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

I am on the watchlist for the 18" 763M wheels from CM in satin gun metal.

18 x 8 ET40

18 x 9 ET48

Not sure what size tire widths I can fit on these.
235 or 245 in the front? 255 or 265 in the rear?

Cannot beat the price and anything is better than the stock wheels. So, might as well finance these wheels when I replace the stock MPSS tires that came with the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 10:45 AM   #5
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f22b58 View Post
I am on the watchlist for the 18" 763M wheels from CM in satin gun metal.

18 x 8 ET40

18 x 9 ET48

Not sure what size tire widths I can fit on these.
235 or 245 in the front? 255 or 265 in the rear?

Cannot beat the price and anything is better than the stock wheels. So, might as well finance these wheels when I replace the stock MPSS tires that came with the car.
Bumping this up. Would like to know if an 18x9 square setup can work...
Appreciate 0