THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing TA5R's with 245/35/18 Conti ECF

08-06-2021, 06:29 PM   #1
jas00x
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i M-sport

TA5R's with 245/35/18 Conti ECF

Just got my new set of wheels and tires mounted up on my 228i.
Hopefully these google photos link work....
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jFixTEPnJkzBiePRA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/M8ydn2ZkYxb89mm87

The wheels are the Bimmerworld TA5R 18x8.5 38 offset. They are probably the maximum inward you'ld want to go- it is roughly 10mm clearance from the rim to the shock.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ev3PcvPqCkqas7zR9

Figured I'd share a couple quick measurements as well.
The tire mounted up has a section width of about 9 7/8" (Tirerack spec is 10.1"). It has a very thick "rim/bead protector" that protrudes past the surface of the wheel about 7-8mm.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vHu9gVzeATTsssQ78
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wujt2f7btgMt7erd9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6bN68UVf6RydFrTi7

Fender clearance looks good- both front and rear. Haven't noticed any rubbing driving it around the block. Only thing that might be close is the front shock clearance. But I don't see any rubbing on the shock yet from just driving it around town, but it is only 2-3mm of clearance due to the thick "rim protector" section.

I've got Camber plates up front and running -2.5 front camber and -2.0 rear camber.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4347.50
      08-08-2021, 08:32 AM   #2
jas00x
Rep

Decided to give the new setup a test at the Autocross.

Here's a video of my quickest lap: (sorry about the wind noise!)
https://youtu.be/3AdJ8cxSJVo
Looking at the SoloStorm data, I probably could have knocked off another .3-.4 (the second half of this run wasn't my best).

The balance of the car with the square setup and camber on the front is so much more enjoyable to drive! This is how the car should come from the factory!
I ran 33psi front, 36psi rear.
Tires felt really good. We got 6 runs, and it was over 90 degrees, and the tires never felt greasy or overheated. So I think that's a pretty good sign that these tires are going to be a more durable trackday tire. Wear on the shoulders was not bad at all either:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bt4GHXEH7XywXzPeA

Also, despite the minimal clearance to the shock, I didn't see any signs of the front tires rubbing on the shock body, so should be good there.

SoloStorm data had lateral G's topping out in the 1.1-1.2 range (It's just using the phone accelerometer, so take that with a grain of salt). Also this particular lot isn't the grippiest as it's an asphalt lot and typically a little dirty/gravelly.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4347.50
      08-08-2021, 05:16 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas00x View Post
The balance of the car with the square setup and camber on the front is so much more enjoyable to drive! This is how the car should come from the factory!

Also, despite the minimal clearance to the shock, I didn't see any signs of the front tires rubbing on the shock body, so should be good there.

SoloStorm data had lateral G's topping out in the 1.1-1.2 range (It's just using the phone accelerometer, so take that with a grain of salt).
1) Agreed; an LSD would have been nice, too!

2) The tire will move away from the front strut under load, so you usually don't get rubbing at speed that you didn't have at rest.

3) To produce accurate results, stand alone accelerometers are meant to be mounted at the car's center of gravity. To get close to that point, the instrument is frequently mounted somewhere on the transmission tunnel.

Looking at SoloStorm documentation, it has a calibration procedure for mobile devices; did you use that procedure to calibrate the software?

It would be interesting to hear from Petrel Data what the margin of error is in the result produced by a mobile device calibrated using their procedure. (I have no idea if it's a little or a lot – just curious is all.)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 10:41 PM   #4
jas00x
Rep

Went to my local track, Harris Hill Raceway, for SCCA Tracknight last night.
this was the first time out at this track in this car, so I don't really have any data to compare to. I do know that I surprised a few M3's and 335's that were running in my session. I had nothing on the M2 though, had to give him a point by

Here's a quick video of my quickest lap:
https://youtu.be/DdXmQr23uAI

I still have a pretty minimal "setup"
wheels and tires mentioned above, Front camber plates (-2.5 degree front, -2.0 deg rear camber)

I recoded my iDrive to show Tire pressures and temps. That was actually pretty useful to see live data like that (those front tires get hot!).

Anyone else tracking an Automatic? I have just been driving it in the Sport Auto mode. It looks like it might be beneficial to manually downshift. The revs seem a bit low on some of the slower corner exits and wondering if the engine braking might help get a little more rotation on corner entry.
Appreciate 1
msendit418.00
      09-17-2021, 01:43 AM   #5
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas00x View Post
Anyone else tracking an Automatic? I have just been driving it in the Sport Auto mode. It looks like it might be beneficial to manually downshift. The revs seem a bit low on some of the slower corner exits and wondering if the engine braking might help get a little more rotation on corner entry.
Yup, I track a ZF8 too. The auto programming definitely lets the revs drop too much before downshifting -- you can see it in your vid too where some corners get in the low-mid 2ks. I started manually shifting after a couple of track days with it and never looked back.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 09:27 AM   #6
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

That lap on YT was nice and smooth. Well done!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 03:27 PM   #7
jas00x
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msendit View Post
Yup, I track a ZF8 too. The auto programming definitely lets the revs drop too much before downshifting -- you can see it in your vid too where some corners get in the low-mid 2ks. I started manually shifting after a couple of track days with it and never looked back.
Yep. I'll try it out on on the next track day. At first I was thinking it was just turbo lag, but looking at the revs in the data/video- it just isn't in the right gear early enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 03:31 PM   #8
jas00x
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
That lap on YT was nice and smooth. Well done!
Thanks! I've done this track a couple times over the years in a couple different cars. This was the first time in the BMW. It's a fun track, and probably the most accessible to me, so will be a good one to "test" on if I can get out there more often.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 02:37 PM   #9
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

ZF trans is actually very responsive in manual mode. No hesitation or slow shift.
I always use manual mode on track and auto x.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 08:09 PM   #10
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

I track an automatic, and I will second that you really want to be in manual mode. Even with the fat torque band of the turbo, keeping the revs up is critical to a fast corner exit. Also, it's much better to know WHEN the shift is going to happen as you are negotiating the corner. If the shift occurs randomly it can upset the balance of the car when you aren't expecting it.
Appreciate 0