THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes 370mm Rotors (beating a dead horse a little more)

03-26-2018, 05:48 PM   #1
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

370mm Rotors (beating a dead horse a little more)

So I have tried to get a definitive answer on this and there is still a lot of confusion.

Everytime I have read a thread that seems to provide confident info there is something to pop up and add doubt.

For our cars with the stick M sport brake kits, they have 340mm rotors to my understanding?

Now the common wisdom seems to have been that you need the M performance calipers to fit the 370mm rotors, but there have been a few posts that claim otherwise, and even turner seems to show otherwise.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...1204501&page=3

And the turner site: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-b...ke-differences

In Canada and Europe, the M Sport brake option (option code 2NH) came with blue Brembo calipers in the front and rear and larger rotors. This kit has the same specs as the M Performance accessory kit but with the blank rotor design and blue calipers instead of red, orange, or yellow. Officially the US did not get the blue calipers in our M Sport upgrade until the 2014 model year. All 2014 models (including F32 Coupe and F22 2-series) with the M Sport Brakes Upgrade (still called S2NHA and $650) used the same components as the rest of the world. These are the same brakes as what was standard on the M235i/iX.
Specs:
Front: Brembo 4-piston calipers, painted blue with an ///M logo; 370mm blank brake rotors
Rear: Brembo 2-piston calipers, painted blue with an ///M logo; 345mm blank brake rotors

Quote:
Since the M Sport shares the same specs as the M Performance, the parts are interchangeable. You can add M Performance dimpled/slotted rotors to an M Sport car and they will be a direct fit. They are also a little lighter than the standard blank design. Pads are also interchangeable among the calipers. The M Sport pads are more aggressive and give more bite and feel than the M Performance pads.
Further complicated by Turner having the M sport blanks as being 370x30mm

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-6...m-sport-s2nha/

So when you look at the M performance rotors:

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...2-f33-f34-f36/

I sent turner an email also for some clarification, but curious if someone has figured this out by now already, or has first hand experience.

Last edited by Luftwaffe1O1; 03-26-2018 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 06:32 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

F30 m sport calipers are not same as the F22 m sport calipers

You can verify if the 370 would fit pretty easily....
Take 1 wheel off and see how much clearance there is between the rotor and the brake caliper.... if there is more than 15mm [(370-340)/2] then they would fit.... if not then the rotor would collide with the caliper
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 03:59 AM   #3
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

you can buy the m performance rotors (dimpled and grooved) for the front axle in both 340mm and 370mm.

for the F22 the stock size with the m sport brakes (blue brembos) is 340mm.

if you upgrade to the M performance brakes you get the 370mm rotor which means in the kit you get new calipers (red, yellow, orange or blue) - TBH with this kit if you choose blue why you would get the rear set of calipers included as the rears are the same size. seems a waste. if going to upgrade you might as well change the colour.
M235i - sold
Activehybrid 5 - sold
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      03-27-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
So I have tried to get a definitive answer on this and there is still a lot of confusion.
What makes the M Performance Brake Kit what it is is the following:

1) Bigger front rotors.
2) Different front calipers.
3) Different front brake pads.
4) Different front protection plates.
5) Coding to adjust the front/rear brake bias for the new components.

I retrofitted the M Performance Brake Kit, I ordered the parts and I looked at the parts before they were installed. Here is what I can say:

Most of the parts for F22 m235i/xi have different part numbers although some parts are the same size.
M Performance Brakes do not come in blue color: only yellow, red, and orange.

1) Front rotors are 370 mm as opposed to 340 mm used in M Sport brake kit.
2) Front calipers: the caliper itself appears to be of the same or very similar size to the M Sport caliper but fixation of the caliper to the steering knuckle is different and the M Sport part cannot be fitted on M Performance rotors.
3) Front brake pads appear to be of the same or very similar size but not sure about the compound.
4) this one is obvious.
5) Coding (enabling the M-Perf brake function) is necessary to make use of the new components.

Rear parts: they all have exactly the same dimensions as the M Sport brake parts. Rotors are same size but different design (slotted/dimpled). Rear pads are the same part number.

PS: The upgrade is definitely worth the money, that is if you take into account that a complete 3rd party BBK for both front and rear would certainly cost a lot more than this. For me the difference is function. I don't care that much about the looks, although M-Perf brakes do look much better.

Function-wise, it's a great improvement. I use the kit with teflon/stainless steel brake lines (and believe upgrading the lines is a must). It took me at least 500 miles to brake in to reach its full potential but now it's just right. I never have to worry about slowing or stopping the car from any speed. It is a most reassuring feeling which I just did not have with the stock brakes. I could still use a bit more initial bite (but I am being picky) and otherwise the brakes are great (for the car that doesn't track).

Last edited by x233; 03-27-2018 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 3
      03-27-2018, 05:13 PM   #5
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post

1) Bigger front rotors.

I retrofitted the M Performance Brake Kit, I ordered the parts and I looked at the parts before they were installed. Here is what I can say:

Most of the parts for F22 m235i/xi have different part numbers although some parts are the same size.

2) Front calipers: the caliper itself appears to be of the same or very similar size to the M Sport caliper but fixation of the caliper to the steering knuckle is different and the M Sport part cannot be fitted on M Performance rotors.
3) Front brake pads appear to be of the same or very similar size but not sure about the compound.
4) this one is obvious.
5) Coding (enabling the M-Perf brake function) is necessary to make use of the new components.

Rear parts: they all have exactly the same dimensions as the M Sport brake parts. Rotors are same size but different design (slotted/dimpled). Rear pads are the same part number.

PS: The upgrade is definitely worth the money, that is if you take into account that a complete 3rd party BBK for both front and rear would certainly cost a lot more than this. For me the difference is function. I don't care that much about the looks, although M-Perf brakes do look much better.

Function-wise, it's a great improvement. I use the kit with teflon/stainless steel brake lines (and believe upgrading the lines is a must). It took me at least 500 miles to brake in to reach its full potential but now it's just right. I never have to worry about slowing or stopping the car from any speed. It is a most reassuring feeling which I just did not have with the stock brakes. I could still use a bit more initial bite (but I am being picky) and otherwise the brakes are great (for the car that doesn't track).
Thanks for the reply! I am curious, about the mounting of the M perf vs M sport caliper in the front. Is there anything with the mounting hardware from the M performance kit that accounts for this, or the caliper itself? IE if it came with accompanying hardware that moves it back slightly, would the same work if you just used the same hardware on the original M sport one?
      03-27-2018, 05:28 PM   #6
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I am curious, about the mounting of the M perf vs M sport caliper in the front. Is there anything with the mounting hardware from the M performance kit that accounts for this, or the caliper itself? IE if it came with accompanying hardware that moves it back slightly, would the same work if you just used the same hardware on the original M sport one?
It's the mounting points, the caliper itself appears to be of a similar size, but the mounting points are positioned differently relative to the caliper. I don't know if it's technically possible to use some kind of additional hardware to make the M Sport calipers fit correctly relative to the new M Perf rotors.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #7
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's the mounting points, the caliper itself appears to be of a similar size, but the mounting points are positioned differently relative to the caliper. I don't know if it's technically possible to use some kind of additional hardware to make the M Sport calipers fit correctly relative to the new M Perf rotors.
Thanks again man, its good to hear from someone with firsthand experience on this. I was reading about this particular topic quite a bit and there was a lot of conflicting info.
      03-28-2018, 10:26 AM   #8
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasser View Post
you can buy the m performance rotors (dimpled and grooved) for the front axle in both 340mm and 370mm.

for the F22 the stock size with the m sport brakes (blue brembos) is 340mm.

if you upgrade to the M performance brakes you get the 370mm rotor which means in the kit you get new calipers (red, yellow, orange or blue) - TBH with this kit if you choose blue why you would get the rear set of calipers included as the rears are the same size. seems a waste. if going to upgrade you might as well change the colour.
Blue is also more expensive, that is not available in a pre-made kit. Red yellow or orange is less money and sometimes on sale.

Downside of going BBK just FYI is no more 17" winter wheels if that's a concern.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 03:37 PM   #9
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Blue is also more expensive, that is not available in a pre-made kit. Red yellow or orange is less money and sometimes on sale.

Downside of going BBK just FYI is no more 17" winter wheels if that's a concern.
Hehe not a big concern in California But yeah, I can see that being an issue as well.

So looks like the Blue M perf calipers from the F30/32 could be cheapo way to just get something used if possible, but on the other end of that spectrum I see the Red caliper kits are about 1800 including the rotors and pads, that's not bad at all when you consider getting rid of your own blue versions.
      03-28-2018, 03:40 PM   #10
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Red caliper kits are about 1800 including the rotors and pads, that's not bad at all when you consider getting rid of your own blue versions.
Yes, my longer term plan is exactly that. M235 will be good weather only and go to 18" Apex wheels with AS3+. Red BBK to match my red interior. Stock M235 kit will go on the sport wagon for a nice upgrade - as much as that car needs and then some.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 10:23 AM   #11
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:

1) Bigger front rotors.

4) this one is obvious.

when you replaced the rear protection plates did you need new wheel bearings? i just found out that when you remove the rear protection plates you need to remove the wheel bearing hub which damages it and cannot be reused.
M235i - sold
Activehybrid 5 - sold
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 05:34 PM   #12
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasser View Post
when you replaced the rear protection plates did you need new wheel bearings? i just found out that when you remove the rear protection plates you need to remove the wheel bearing hub which damages it and cannot be reused.
No new wheel bearings. I guess the implication is that whenever you do something like there is a risk of damaging the wheel bearings. When I changed my steering knuckles at the dealer I was advised to change the wheel bearings as well, which I passed on, because "they may get damaged and start making a noise", or so I was told. I was advised the same when I upgraded brakes on my other cars, which again came in a form of recommendation and warning. I don't think it's a must, rather something to pay a very close attention to. I never actually damaged any of the wheel bearings but I was warned that was a risk.
Appreciate 1
Hasser446.50
      04-26-2018, 07:16 PM   #13
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

This is a good route. The F30 M Sport front Calipers (to accept the 370mm rotor) new are about $600USD, or less on the used market.
MP 370mm rotors, probably the best rotor you can get aside from a true two-piece. The center aluminum hat is riveted and not serviceable, but still much better than a full cast replacement from aftermarket offerings (imo). If you want to cut costs, you can run the 370mm F30 blanks (still a 2 piece riveted), as well. The MP rotor is lighter than the blank, by quite a bit iirc, something to consider when increasing sizes of rotating mass.

Last edited by Dylan86; 04-27-2018 at 01:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
cxp213313.00
      04-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #14
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
The MP rotor is lighter than the blank, by quite a bit iirc, something to consider when increasing sizes of rotating mass.
The M-perf rotor and M-sport 370mm rotors weight difference is negligible. They both came in at 26lbs on my scale.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      04-27-2018, 01:57 PM   #15
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
The M-perf rotor and M-sport 370mm rotors weight difference is negligible. They both came in at 26lbs on my scale.
I never had them on a scale, but they definitely felt lighter, maybe just a placebo...lol I wouldn't do it for that reason, alone, though.
      12-09-2021, 03:43 AM   #16
2rbolag
Private
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

A bit confusing. I have a 18’ m240xi with the blue oem calipers. Can someone tell me if I have the 340mm or 370mm front rotors?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 09:33 AM   #17
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rbolag View Post
A bit confusing. I have a 18’ m240xi with the blue oem calipers. Can someone tell me if I have the 340mm or 370mm front rotors?
Unless someone has changed them to non-standard, they are 340mm as 370mm was not offered by BMW on the F22/23 2-series, only on 3/4-series cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 07:42 PM   #18
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rbolag View Post
If they are blue, they are 340. The M performance brakes are gonna be i think yellow/Gold, Orange, or Red.

Only way to keep them blue is picking up a set of calipers from an F80/82/87 or an M perf F30/32.

This was a pretty old thread hahaa, but yeah, as mentioned above, unless its been changed by PO specifically you got 340mm.
      11-06-2022, 03:31 PM   #19
PaleoMan
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Yikes! Just stumbled on this thread (newly joined). I have a 2015 M235i with M-Sport package. I asked Turner, and they thought it was 370mm, so I ordered those. Still waiting for the order, and unfortunately, my car is in the body shop (someone thought there was a 4 way stop and pulled out in front of me), so I can't really check on the car.

I hope I ordered the right thing, or I'll have to contact Turner.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 05:07 PM   #20
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoMan View Post
Yikes! Just stumbled on this thread (newly joined). I have a 2015 M235i with M-Sport package. I asked Turner, and they thought it was 370mm, so I ordered those. Still waiting for the order, and unfortunately, my car is in the body shop (someone thought there was a 4 way stop and pulled out in front of me), so I can't really check on the car.

I hope I ordered the right thing, or I'll have to contact Turner.
If your car still has the same brakes as from the factory, they will be 340mm diameter on the front and 345mm on the rear.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 05:17 PM   #21
MLJR235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235I

For anyone who wants to know 100%, raise car and look behind the caliper.

They are stamped. If 340, you have 340mm and if 370, they're 370.

I know I looked when I first got curious
      11-10-2022, 03:58 PM   #22
PaleoMan
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
If your car still has the same brakes as from the factory, they will be 340mm diameter on the front and 345mm on the rear.
Yeah, just reconfirmed with Turner Motorsports and canceled/reordered the 340mm rotors. Glad I saw this thread.
Appreciate 0