THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum E30 mix having problems

09-21-2019, 10:31 PM   #1
Wesley_Cvrbonized
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i

Need help! Really bad e30 mixture problem

Hello. This is my first post and I'm having a major issue. I just got a e30 map from a custom tuner for e30. And I might have put a little bit too much ethanol but I did talk to the guys at PTF and they said the car should adjust and doesn't need to be spot on( I'm at 36%
Mix) the problem is whenever I'm WOT after the first shift my car starts crackling kind of like anti lag does anyone know what is causing this? Also the car doesn't feel any fast and feels like it's struggling. I wanna datalog for my tuner but I'm scared I'll break something if it's serious
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 04:58 AM   #2
sea_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowm235i View Post
Hello. This is my first post and I'm having a major issue. I just got a e30 map from a custom tuner for e30. And I might have put a little bit too much ethanol but I did talk to the guys at PTF and they said the car should adjust and doesn't need to be spot on( I'm at 36%
Mix) the problem is whenever I'm WOT after the first shift my car starts crackling kind of like anti lag does anyone know what is causing this? Also the car doesn't feel any fast and feels like it's struggling. I wanna datalog for my tuner but I'm scared I'll break something if it's serious
Your high pressure fuel pump is crashing. Assuming you are still on the stock N55 pump, it does not like E30 and above mixes. The stumbling you're feeling is the car choking and not getting enough fuel.

Sold: 2015 M235i RWD, MHD Stage 2, FBO, MPE, XHP, HPD5Evo | IG @sea_m235i
Appreciate 2
      09-22-2019, 05:02 AM   #3
Wesley_Cvrbonized
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_m235i View Post
Quote:
Your high pressure fuel pump is crashing. Assuming you are still on the stock N55 pump, it does not like E30 and above mixes. The stumbling you're feeling is the car choking and not getting enough fuel.
I thought e30 was the safe one for N55s? I know multiple people who run e30 on their cars and I'm sure PTF would put a e30map if it wasn't safe right 😐. I'm going to log tommorow and post it. And how do I make sure it's getting enough fuel I'm just really confused because all the tuners I talk to say N55s can even take e35 but that's about the limit

here's the sound on video
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 05:16 AM   #4
sea_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C - 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I thought e30 was the safe one for N55s? I know multiple people who run e30 on their cars and I'm sure PTF would put a e30map if it wasn't safe right 😐. I'm going to log tommorow and post it. And how do I make sure it's getting enough fuel I'm just really confused because all the tuners I talk to say N55s can even take e35 but that's about the limit

Yeahhh that doesn't sound good. I'm not sure mechanically what's happening there but I wouldn't do it again. Might be detonation.

E series N55s with the old rotary hpfp can take more than E30 and handle it well. The EWG N55s with the piston fuel pump max out at E30 and although people are kicking out tunes for them - if you log, you'll see that the pump is crashing up to 1000psi below target. So not all info on the internet about the N55 and Ethanol pertains to both variants of the platform.

I could only run E25 max before my pump started crashing. At E30 I could feel the car stumbling and my crashes were bad. Once I upgraded to the B58 hpfp that all went away and I'm good up to E40.

If you're on E36 your pump is probably fighting for its life. I'd get your fuel back down before WOTing it again.

Sold: 2015 M235i RWD, MHD Stage 2, FBO, MPE, XHP, HPD5Evo | IG @sea_m235i
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 05:21 AM   #5
Wesley_Cvrbonized
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeahhh that doesn't sound good. I'm not sure mechanically what's happening there but I wouldn't do it again. Might be detonation.

E series N55s with the old rotary hpfp can take more than E30 and handle it well. The EWG N55s with the piston fuel pump max out at E30 and although people are kicking out tunes for them - if you log, you'll see that the pump is crashing up to 1000psi below target. So not all info on the internet about the N55 and Ethanol pertains to both variants of the platform.

I could only run E25 max before my pump started crashing. At E30 I could feel the car stumbling and my crashes were bad. Once I upgraded to the B58 hpfp that all went away and I'm good up to E40.

If you're on E36 your pump is probably fighting for its life. I'd get your fuel back down before WOTing it again.
Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it. How much did the b58 retrofit cost you? If you can dm me that'll be great also is it safe to run e25 while on a custom e30 map? Because I can always just drive a bit and top it off with more regular fuel and keep it at 25% I did top off 1 more gallon and that's what it sounds like now before it was even worse believe it or not.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 10:43 PM   #6
Cdsmith235i
Rep
Drives: 550ix

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it. How much did the b58 retrofit cost you? If you can dm me that'll be great also is it safe to run e25 while on a custom e30 map? Because I can always just drive a bit and top it off with more regular fuel and keep it at 25% I did top off 1 more gallon and that's what it sounds like now before it was even worse believe it or not.
Your first problem is if your car is running like trash I wouldn't be doing pulls. I would drive the car lightly and try to get all the e out and try lower mixes. I'd say your fuel pump is on the way out.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 04:49 AM   #7
Wesley_Cvrbonized
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdsmith235i View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Your first problem is if your car is running like trash I wouldn't be doing pulls. I would drive the car lightly and try to get all the e out and try lower mixes. I'd say your fuel pump is on the way out.
Yeah I think it is too I might just go back to 91 is it even worth getting a new hpfp or should I get a retrofit b58
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I thought e30 was the safe one for N55s? I know multiple people who run e30 on their cars and I'm sure PTF would put a e30map if it wasn't safe right . I'm going to log tommorow and post it. And how do I make sure it's getting enough fuel I'm just really confused because all the tuners I talk to say N55s can even take e35 but that's about the limit

hey so I know this is a year old but I recently swapped a b58 hpfp on my n55 and it runs great. My issue is I recently read on these forums that the b58 hpfp retrofit is a so called ticking time bomb and will damage the cam.lobe in our n55's engine. How long did you run the b58 hpfp and did you have any issues? I'll be swapping to a dorch pump in a month or so after I finish installing my ps2 but don't want to damage my engine in the mean time. Your input would really be appreciated since you ran the b58 hpfp retrofit for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 10:48 AM   #9
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
Every time I read a thread like this, I thank my lucky stars that I have never had any interest in mods. I like my cars to stay the way God (BMW) intended.
Appreciate 0