THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications LED amber front indicators

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-10-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
fmzip
Second Lieutenant
34
Rep
204
Posts

Drives: 2016 228i , 2015 Audi S4
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

LED amber front indicators

What are you guys having success in using for Amber LED turn signal bulbs. Bought some off Amazon with great reviews. Coded them out still flash regardless
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #2
TrboMike
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: BMW M240ix
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: 07508

iTrader: (0)

I just put these in:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been working great but its only been 2 days lol

They say they are CanBus friendly but I had already coded out the flash with Bimmercode before install. Did you code out the test for Warm and Cold and set bulb type to LED? You need to set all three codes for every bulb (left and right, etc).
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 04:18 PM   #3
fmzip
Second Lieutenant
34
Rep
204
Posts

Drives: 2016 228i , 2015 Audi S4
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Seriously??? Those are the same ones I am having issues with!

I will say this, if you leave them as bulb and not code them out to LED, they flicker less. They are super bright. I didn't like how hot they were though running as LED nor bulb type. I'd have reservation about burning my headlight housings with them. This is an issue with the Chinese brands versus say a brand name bulb

And yes, I did code all three areas out for both sides. Both sides flickered too. Did you keep your lights on for awhile? I was able to see it rather easily with my headlights pointed a few feet from my garage door
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 10:29 AM   #4
TrboMike
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: BMW M240ix
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: 07508

iTrader: (0)

I coded them warm check no, cold check no, bulb type LED. Have not seen them flash.

When are they flashing for you when you start car (cold check) or while driving (warm check)? Now I'll have to test them out and pay more attention to see if mine are flashing.

They are much brighter than stock both steady and while blinking. I like them brighter while blinking and at first I wished they were less bright for the parking light but since I dont have fog lights I kinda like having them super bright when I drive at dusk or in rain with just parking lights/halos on.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:48 PM   #5
fmzip
Second Lieutenant
34
Rep
204
Posts

Drives: 2016 228i , 2015 Audi S4
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrboMike View Post
I coded them warm check no, cold check no, bulb type LED. Have not seen them flash.

When are they flashing for you when you start car (cold check) or while driving (warm check)? Now I'll have to test them out and pay more attention to see if mine are flashing.

They are much brighter than stock both steady and while blinking. I like them brighter while blinking and at first I wished they were less bright for the parking light but since I dont have fog lights I kinda like having them super bright when I drive at dusk or in rain with just parking lights/halos on.
They flicker no matter what state, and it's not subtle......
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #6
TrboMike
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: BMW M240ix
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: 07508

iTrader: (0)

I stopped and started the car with tails on, no flicker. My whole drive home last night, no flicker.

Is your flickering rhythmic like when the car is doing its bulb tests or is it random? If it were one bulb I might say you got a bad one or installed one wrong, but if its both? Are you sure you coded correctly? Did you have trouble installing maybe both are not in all the way?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:46 AM   #7
TrboMike
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: BMW M240ix
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: 07508

iTrader: (0)

I found some vids on youtube on how the rhythmic flickering is when its the car checking the non-LED bulbs:


Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #8
fmzip
Second Lieutenant
34
Rep
204
Posts

Drives: 2016 228i , 2015 Audi S4
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrboMike View Post
I stopped and started the car with tails on, no flicker. My whole drive home last night, no flicker.

Is your flickering rhythmic like when the car is doing its bulb tests or is it random? If it were one bulb I might say you got a bad one or installed one wrong, but if its both? Are you sure you coded correctly? Did you have trouble installing maybe both are not in all the way?

I am using these in my front headlight turn signals, not the tail lights. I have no issues with the LED's (different brand) that I used for the rears. Coded them out fine. Using Bimmercode and coded everything out in the front too. They flicker 100% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:09 PM   #9
TrboMike
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: BMW M240ix
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: 07508

iTrader: (0)

I did LEDs all around. Front turn, rear turn, reverse, brake, emerg brake. None of them blink (so far).

I bet your coding for the front didnt work, did you try again?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #10
fmzip
Second Lieutenant
34
Rep
204
Posts

Drives: 2016 228i , 2015 Audi S4
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrboMike View Post
I did LEDs all around. Front turn, rear turn, reverse, brake, emerg brake. None of them blink (so far).

I bet your coding for the front didnt work, did you try again?
I tried it twice, returned the bulbs....

Maybe I will try a spare LED bulb that I used in the tails to see if those work...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 01:00 PM   #11
TrboMike
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: BMW M240ix
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: 07508

iTrader: (0)

The front bulbs are size PY21W (also called BAU15S) and the rears are 1156, so they better not fit. The pins are the front bulbs are 150 degrees while the rears are 180 from each other.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.




2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST