THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Ordered an 2018 and got a 2019 n/c

09-08-2018, 02:53 AM   #1
Rosseau
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xdrive

Ordered an 2018 and got a 2019 n/c

Hopefully, I got someone's attention. But it's true. Placed order 4/30, took about 15 weeks; (supposedly) Leipzig made error, got delivery of 2019 M240i xdrive in late August.

Reason I'm posting is I've never owned a BMW. There is nothing I can offer this audience in return unless you've got roofing problems, as I am a consultant for GAF in North America. Well, here goes:

They sent me P7 A/S RTFs 225/40/18s all around. Tire Rack is selling them for $258 each, but all I read is bad on RTFs. I did take the tire/wheel insurance though.

BMW's Corporate Product/Tech guy seems adamant about not changing tires to non-RTFs. One of his reasons is suspension was tuned for that tire, which might be true. In NE Ohio, will always use A/S; no way switching to summers and back. Questions:

1. I wouldn't know 9/10th performance handling if it hit me over the head. Closest I've been is 1998 Z28. Would I even notice going with the (much cheaper) Michelin A/S +3s and storing the P7s for now? (Let's take the no-spare-tire issue out of the equation for a moment.)

2. In Ohio, it's usually 87/89/93 octane but might save $$$ finding 91. Any appreciable diff between 91 and 93 for my vehicle?

3. Is there anything you know of different between the '18 and '19 models, besides the extra 50 hp?

Thanks folks. I appreciate your kindness and patience.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 04:55 AM   #2
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
You hear bad things about runflats because the people who like them don't complain.
I am old man. Changing a tire at my age is not fun and can be downright dangerous, so runflats for me, thank you.
Insurance on tires and wheels is good. Especially in colder weather, even the 18's are very susceptible to road damage and the wheels are made of butter. My insurance has paid for itself several times over.
It's very hard to gauge the difference between 91 and 93 because few places stock both. Most of us outside California are in 93 country. I would not sweat that one.
There are recent threads on the changes for 19.
Enjoy. This is a great car, in any configuration!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 06:13 AM   #3
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

My car, 2018 but boosted to the 2019 50+ horsepower, has non RFTs. If it had come with RFTs I'd have kept them, because I don't want to be changing a tire or blowing glue into it at some inconvenient location. When these tires wear out, I'll put RTFs on it. My snows are RFT, I think.

The xDrive that I have sticks so well with the non-RFTs that it's almost no fun unless I'm driving well above any rational limits.

Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about the RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

See comments in your text below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosseau View Post
Hopefully, I got someone's attention. But it's true. Placed order 4/30, took about 15 weeks; (supposedly) Leipzig made error, got delivery of 2019 M240i xdrive in late August. Quite unlikely this was an "error". More simply, the allocation for your order missed 2018 build out and was transferred to 2019 production and you were not penalized. This happened at my prior competitive car company employer with regularity.

Reason I'm posting is I've never owned a BMW. There is nothing I can offer this audience in return unless you've got roofing problems, as I am a consultant for GAF in North America. Well, here goes:Installed a GAF roof about 10 years ago...Gold level something...has held up well!

They sent me P7 A/S RTFs 225/40/18s all around. Tire Rack is selling them for $258 each, but all I read is bad on RTFs. I did take the tire/wheel insurance though. RFTs have improved over time. I left them on my 3 Series GT and for it's role as a family car, they are fine. This decision will depend on your performance expectations, but the OE RFT Pirellis are not inherently a problem.

BMW's Corporate Product/Tech guy seems adamant about not changing tires to non-RTFs. One of his reasons is suspension was tuned for that tire, which might be true. In NE Ohio, will always use A/S; no way switching to summers and back. Questions: The only "tuning" is the allowance for more unsprung weight. The shift to a lighter weight is not detrimental. BMW will always stay with their original spec recommendation. Better to call Tire Rack and talk to those guys. You definitely can make the swap and improve performance by selecting the proper tire. BTW, All Season tires are incompetent for an Ohio winter, or anywhere with more than LIGHT snow. Keep in mind, cars have zero traction, rwd, X drive, whatever...that just spins two more tires...tires have traction, the only part which touches the ground/snow, and your results depend on the capability of the tire!! Put moving forward aside for a moment....the more critical stopping/turning is purely about tire traction and with the winer snow you get, the potential for good versus bad outcomes is significant...sheetmetal, limb, life. Tire Rack again can make this easy by hooking you up with one of their local installers who will store the off-season tires for you, so it's just a "NASCAR style" pitstop twice a year. The well-being of yourself/family, whomever is in your car could depend on having a set of Michelin XIice xi3 or Blizzak WS80, etc. for the winter months.

1. I wouldn't know 9/10th performance handling if it hit me over the head. Closest I've been is 1998 Z28. Would I even notice going with the (much cheaper) Michelin A/S +3s and storing the P7s for now? (Let's take the no-spare-tire issue out of the equation for a moment.) Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ are about the best you can find in the UHPAS category, although for one characteristic - driving in LIGHT snow - Conti DWS06 is superior. For either of those, you will feel a performance upgrade over the Pirelli RFTs if you drive even at 5/10ths.

2. In Ohio, it's usually 87/89/93 octane but might save $$$ finding 91. Any appreciable diff between 91 and 93 for my vehicle?91is fine

3. Is there anything you know of different between the '18 and '19 models, besides the extra 50 hp?

Thanks folks. I appreciate your kindness and patience.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 09-08-2018 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
vandridine
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 xDrive

What do you mean by an extra 50hp? Did they increase the hp output for the M240 for 2019?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 04:24 AM   #6
Rosseau
Private
United_States
Rep

I was kidding about the 50hp increase for 2019. Should have used a instead of a

Thanks for all the comments. Last three years, we've had almost no snow in Akron Ohio, but I expect the worst this year.

They clear the roads real quick, so real issue is our driveway. Not expecting much, AWD or not, especially with lower ground clearance.

Got a 2004 Lexus with tall 60 series tires (barely fit in the wheel wells) and they get us up the driveway in 6" of snow.

I have very little fiscal discipline and did get great deal on the car, so I'm likely to go with summers in the Spring. Something to look forward to. Need to start a fresh thread on what to go with. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 07:58 AM   #7
CE750Jockey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M240 'vert 6MT

Quote:
I was kidding about the 50hp increase for 2019. Should have used a instead of a

Thanks for all the comments. Last three years, we've had almost no snow in Akron Ohio, but I expect the worst this year.

They clear the roads real quick, so real issue is our driveway. Not expecting much, AWD or not, especially with lower ground clearance.

Got a 2004 Lexus with tall 60 series tires (barely fit in the wheel wells) and they get us up the driveway in 6" of snow.

I have very little fiscal discipline and did get great deal on the car, so I'm likely to go with summers in the Spring. Something to look forward to. Need to start a fresh thread on what to go with. Thanks again.
Take it from someone who lives near you and drives a '16 RWD M235, soon to be a '19 in two weeks, you want dedicated snows. I use the Michelin XIice xi3 tires. The ones my friend Sportstick described earlier. I'll outperform you and your Xdrive with "all season" RFTs in the snow, all day long. "All Season" tires should really be called "No Season". They're just "ok" for performance, and just "ok" in the snow, but not nearly as good as performance tires or snow tires. It's all about the tires. In three winters of snow, I've NEVER had an issue in the snow. You will be amazed at the performance of a modern day snow tire. It makes this car a DD year 'round. And wouldn't you really like to drive this car with confidence year 'round? Plus, when you take 'em off in April, and put on a real set of tires, like the MPSS', the car is then shod in tires that allow its true performance to be realized. You'll never get that with "All Season" tires.
Appreciate 2
      09-09-2018, 09:09 AM   #8
Rosseau
Private
United_States
Rep

I had a '88 Mustang 5.0 and a 1990 T-Bird SC beater and needed to put studded snows on both of them. But literally, haven't had to shovel our driveway in three years. Until I get this car, right? We'll see. But I don't plan on plowing through the snow with it. I work at home and we have the Lex. But do want to get performance tires in the Spring.

If you're getting a replacement for the M235, I would guess it's the M240i. No burnouts with the xdrive, but I like catapulting off the line in the rain, leaving Vettes in my wake until the 1/4.

There are three criticisms about the car, none of which bother me - the interior is functional but cheap looking except the M wheel; not a car for show-offs, as 95% of drivers have no idea what you're packing. Chisel off the BMW roundels and even with blacked out wheels, could be mistaken for a cocked up Sentra. Finally, the car should not weigh 3,600 lbs. My brother's 335i weighs that.

But after two years of research, could not come up with a vehicle better than this one for the price.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #9
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post
"All Season" tires should really be called "No Season".
This.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
This.
Well-said....as usual, well, as almost always, CE750Jockey is right again!

Having said that, Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ are quite excellent for a typical spring/summer/fall timeframe. Not quite the new PS4S, but as close as Michelin could get them without being unusable below 45 degrees F. But, nowhere near capable for a north of Mason-Dixon winter.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=230
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #11
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Having said that, Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ are quite excellent for a typical spring/summer/fall timeframe. Not quite the new PS4S, but as close as Michelin could get them without being unusable below 45 degrees F. But, nowhere near capable for a north of Mason-Dixon winter.
I agree that all-seasons have improved quite a bit in recent years, esp. in regards to low-temperature sensitivity.

That's one reason I put Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus' on the wife's Mazda 3 hatchback when the truly awful OEM Dunlop hockey pucks finally died. A quiet ride was the reason for choosing that particular all-season tire. I wanted to put something stickier on, along with 17s, but with it being her car there was no compelling reason.

We still put winter tires on everything, however, even here in southern Ohio. Tundra, MZ3, M240i...winters get slapped-on once the high temps drop below 45 for good.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #12
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

Good all season tires will be fine as long as you don't have hills.

DWS06 or PS AS+ will do just fine in decent snow. Just drive slow. That's the key point.
As long as you drive slow in snow, all season tire works.

Of course, winter set will be better in snow or icy condition but good all season tires will be comparable to winter tire when it's just cold.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #13
Rosseau
Private
United_States
Rep

If I was facing a daily commute, I'd definitely go with snows. My father was NYPD and remember him putting chains on to get into NYC some days. I'll manage with the P7 RTFs very carefully and make the hard decision come Spring. If I have to switch out tires, I'd like to go with more grip for summer. I just can't imagine a fourth NE Ohio winter with no snow.

Last edited by Rosseau; 09-09-2018 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Hills
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #14
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajoMan View Post
DWS06 or PS AS+ will do just fine in decent snow. Just drive slow. That's the key point.
As long as you drive slow in snow, all season tire works.
Respectfully, that is not reasonable nor prudent advice. Unpredictable events on snowy surfaces or surfaces with "black ice" that require braking and steering, when only moments before one was driving very reasonably, can have vastly different outcomes, depending on the tire. There is no generally acceptable road speed where the differences in capability/traction could not be a significant factor in avoiding a collision.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...vs-summer.html

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-...ter-snow-tires
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Bobh5952.00
      09-09-2018, 03:03 PM   #15
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
My father was NYPD and remember him putting chains on to get into NYC some days.
If he was heading to the 70th precinct, please pass along thanks for taking care of us!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #16
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

I wouldn't drive at 60 mph in snow, even with studded winter.

That breaking distance gap decreases quite a bit in low speed. (<15mph)
I have seen that low speed test somewhere. I will post a link if I find it.

I am not saying winter is not necessary. (In fact, I have dedicated winter set)
But, I have seen plenty of cars with winter tires drives way too fast in snow, just because they believe in those 'winter tires'.
(As it shown above, winter tire still need almost 3 times longer distance at same speed, compared to dry or wet condition)

All I'm saying is that how you drive is more important than the tire.
(not summer tire though. that does not have any grip in any winter condition)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #17
Rosseau
Private
United_States
Rep

I really should have thought through this and ordered summer tires from the factory instead of the RTFs. Could have enjoyed summers until Oct. and then got winter tires. Now I'm stuck with A/S RTFs (no pun intended) which neither handle exceptionally well or work well in winter.

I do know how to drive in snow, but I hate it. Will have to rely on car #2 a lot more, but I'm getting those summers! Took a nine-day road trip the day after delivery to blow off the break-in and rack up 2,200 miles. So I'll get my time in and hope for a fourth easy winter. But then there's the winter after that...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #18
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Assuming you didn't want the 2018 incentives...I guess this isn't an issue. My biggest problem would be that the runflat all seasons have the 130mph top speed limiter!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 07:39 PM   #19
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

Yes, I, too, have a frequent need to exceed 130 MPH.
Appreciate 1
Fugly M35069.50
      09-09-2018, 10:05 PM   #20
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
When I ordered mine, they didn't have the bi color wheels available with the performance tires and I mistakenly thought that I could just put on performance tires later and have the same setup. What I didn't realize is that A- the wheels would be narrower in the rear than had I ordered with perf tires and B- the speed would be permanently limited to 130 forever and always. I mean, do I think I'll ever even WANT to go over 130? Probably never. But just knowing I can't ever go AutoBahn speeds in the car I waited 8 months to get so it could be EXACTLY what I wanted ...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 11:14 PM   #21
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
When I ordered mine, they didn't have the bi color wheels available with the performance tires...
When did you place your order? I ordered mine a year ago this week and has no trouble configuring bi-color wheels with performance tires. At that time, all possible wheel/tire setups were configurable.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 02:47 AM   #22
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
When I ordered mine, they didn't have the bi color wheels available with the performance tires...
When did you place your order? I ordered mine a year ago this week and has no trouble configuring bi-color wheels with performance tires. At that time, all possible wheel/tire setups were configurable.
I ordered in January and got it end of June
Appreciate 0