THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Racoon/Cat Scratched Up My Paint

07-31-2018, 01:23 PM   #1
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Racoon/Cat Scratched Up My Paint

I have had my BSM 228i for almost three years, and I managed to keep the black paint pretty much scratch free. Even under the sun, it looks glossy and prefect. But when I parked my car in a parkade last week for a meeting, some stupid racoon/cat climbed onto my car and created some significant scratches on both the hood and the passenger side fender. Unfortunately, the scratches went through the clear coat, and they are so visible under the sun now I can see them from 10 meters away. I am pretty pissed off to be honest. Is there a way to remove those scratches?

Last edited by MetalMK; 07-31-2018 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 02:43 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
I have had my BSM 228i for almost three years, and I managed to keep the black paint pretty much scratch free. Even under the sun, it looks glossy and prefect. But when I parked my car in a parkade last week for a meeting, some stupid racoon/cat climbed onto my car and created some significant scratches on both the hood and the passenger side fender. Unfortunately, the scratches went through the clear coat, and they are so visible under the sun now I can see them from 10 meters away. I am pretty pissed off to be honest. Is there a way to remove those scratches?
No harm in trying to polish them out.
The correcting polish you need you probably won’t find in a WalMsrt but an auto parts supply store may have it.

Start off by washing, I would even try claying, then a very mild correcting polish ( see if it does anything ) then a more aggressive correcting polish ) etcetera. Once you’ve determined if the products works - in the descending order back to least aggressive, polish the offending parts.

Meguiars and 3M make some good products, or try a detailing forum or go to a high end pro detailer.

I took out a scratch on my gf’s silver Honda that was either vandalism or a passing vehicle, and the scratch was catchable with a finger nail. I used Griot’s medium polish and BMW Natural wax polish and completely knocked it out.
Appreciate 2
      07-31-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail they probably won't come out. You could try polish then compounding but you will need a good buffer. Wet sanding may be needed. A good detail shop can give you advice. When my customers get scratches like this they usually don't come out by buffing depending on how deep they are. I don't have a rotary polisher just a dual action. A pro shop may have a rotary which cuts deeper.
Appreciate 1
BEM-S44515.50
      07-31-2018, 04:04 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail they probably won't come out. You could try polish then compounding but you will need a good buffer. Wet sanding may be needed. A good detail shop can give you advice. When my customers get scratches like this they usually don't come out by buffing depending on how deep they are. I don't have a rotary polisher just a dual action. A pro shop may have a rotary which cuts deeper.
So bottom line since you're asking what to do rather than knowing what to do...

If you catch it w/ your nail do not fuck with it yourself get it first to a reputable detail shop then to a body shop.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 08:54 AM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

^^^ Second this, for sure. Unless you want a really expensive lesson in auto detailing, better to take it to the pros. And it must have been a raccoon - cats m.o. is to leave a million muddy footprints right after you wash it .
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 09:33 AM   #6
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M-Sport eDrive 40

Quote:
Quote:
I found that if I spray with a detail spray, and it disappears for a few seconds, it's not through the clear coat. I just removed several this spring that the dealer installed for me. Started by hand. Too slow so I switched to the DA buffer with medium to low cut pad and product. Clean after each application and evaluate. Go slow. I switched back to a hand approach at the end. My goad was not to see them outside of 3 feet. I can hardly see a thing inside of a foot. Go slow and you don't have to get it 100% perfect. I bet even the most detailed oriented person on this forum can find my scratches. Hell, I'm not sure I can
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 01:11 PM   #7
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Yes, should be obvious if it's really through the clearcoat. If it's through the clearcoat, getting all buffer-happy on it (as many seem so quick to do) is not going to do anything other than unnecessarily remove more of the UV shielding and protective clearcoat. If it's through the paint, the scratch will likely need to be filled with matching paint. I've seen people use those scratch-filler detergent pens, which from what I understand, essentially re-liquify surrounding paint/clearcoat and allow it to sort of naturally fill in the scratch. The end result is pretty bad though, IMHO. My old neighbor had a red Audi A4 that was covered with pen repair marks, and it was totally obvious when walking up to the car, especially in the sunlight.

If it has gone through the clearcoat or even deep into the clearcoat to the point where a finger nail is catching it, I'd just suck it up and take it to a reputable high-end body shop instead of trying to DIY. Some of these shops are amazing at what they do and can sometimes use more intricate techniques like air-brushing and whatnot to make certain blemishes/scratches totally repaired to the naked eye.

If it's really bad, a respray is always an option as well.

Sorry this happened to you and best of luck!