THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 228i or 235i for a normal road user?

07-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
SammT
Rep
Drives: Corsa

Question 228i or 235i for a normal road user?

Hey,

I'm torn between buying a 228i and a 235i as I'm sure a lot of people have been. I don't plan on doing track days and as I have a van for work I would be putting very low mileage on the car every year, maybe around 2000.

The smarter side of me is telling me to get the 228i as it will be cheaper to insure and more than likely have enough power. However, the inner child in me is wanting a car that is extremely quick and exciting.

Would the 235i be a waste because I wouldn't be able to use it to its full ability and would the 228i suffice? Budget is around £18000 and these are the 2 cars I'm looking at:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ake=BMW&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ake=BMW&page=1

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 11:40 AM   #2
kivyee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 230ix Track Pack

I recently went through a similar scenario...Needed a second car for my wife and was looking at the 228i's. Ended up with a 235i since I found a great deal on one. Didn't have comfort access which I would really rather have preferred but those are the compromises we make .
My advice is...Take your time looking for the right car so you won't be tormented by buyers remorse, and oh, YOLO!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
Tyresian
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230xi

Have you driven them? I'd say start there.

I had a 2015 335xi with MPPK previously and felt the power was generally where I wasn't able to use it for my drives and found the drive just to be a little too bland for me as a daily driver. Excellent car otherwise.

So I knew I wanted to find something that I could work the power out of a little more, and now I have the 230xi and love it, I drove it back to back with an M240xi and I actually prefered the 230xi, I'm sure the fuel efficiency difference and cost difference had some influence in my situation though.
      07-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

ive owned both. i would never go back to the 228i after owning the 235i.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

You are driving so little that the mileage of whatever you get is, within reason, immaterial. If you buy something w/ 20K and put 10K on it in 5 years, it won't be worth much more or less than something that has 30K now and 40K when you want to sell.

Your biggest focus should be finding something with the absolute latest in service date that you possibly can so you can maximize your time with warranty coverage. These cars are not cheap to fix if something goes wrong. So in your case you might prefer a 1 year 2 car with 30K on it compared to a 3 or 4 year old car with 10K.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
SammT
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivyee View Post
I recently went through a similar scenario...Needed a second car for my wife and was looking at the 228i's. Ended up with a 235i since I found a great deal on one. Didn't have comfort access which I would really rather have preferred but those are the compromises we make .
My advice is...Take your time looking for the right car so you won't be tormented by buyers remorse, and oh, YOLO!
Yeah that's the problem, time! Been driving a Vauxhall Corsa for the last 7 years and I'm just excited to get my hands on something special. Does she like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyresian View Post
Have you driven them? I'd say start there.

I had a 2015 335xi with MPPK previously and felt the power was generally where I wasn't able to use it for my drives and found the drive just to be a little too bland for me as a daily driver. Excellent car otherwise.

So I knew I wanted to find something that I could work the power out of a little more, and now I have the 230xi and love it, I drove it back to back with an M240xi and I actually prefered the 230xi, I'm sure the fuel efficiency difference and cost difference had some influence in my situation though.
I haven't driven either of them yet, started a new job with a lot of training and travelling so it's hard to find the time at the moment. Yeah that's the problem, I'm not sure if the car would be wasted on me as I wouldn't really ever be able to use it to its full capability. That's whats making me think the 228i is possibly the smarter choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
ive owned both. i would never go back to the 228i after owning the 235i.
Because it's a better drive or are there other factors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
You are driving so little that the mileage of whatever you get is, within reason, immaterial. If you buy something w/ 20K and put 10K on it in 5 years, it won't be worth much more or less than something that has 30K now and 40K when you want to sell.

Your biggest focus should be finding something with the absolute latest in service date that you possibly can so you can maximize your time with warranty coverage. These cars are not cheap to fix if something goes wrong. So in your case you might prefer a 1 year 2 car with 30K on it compared to a 3 or 4 year old car with 10K.
Yeah the mileage the car would have doesn't worry me too much, so I should be prioritising year mainly? A lot of the newer ones I would be able to afford are mostly the 228i's.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

No not year, in service date. A 2015 could have more time left than a 2016.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
kivyee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 230ix Track Pack

Don't know if my wife likes it yet...The car's been sitting in the garage since I bought it a month ago since we are on an extended trip out of town. . Can't see why she wouldn't though - it's similar enough to the 135i we had before.

The other point I want to add is - are you at a point in your life when an extra 10K etc spent on a car is negligible? If so by all means get "something special". BEM brings up a good point...Maintenance and repairs on these cars isn't cheap. If the 2000 miles you put on the car is to go get groceries etc, I would just get a newer cheap commuter car. If the 2000 miles is for aimless drives on twisty roads "just because", by all means get something special.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 12:41 PM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't know if my wife likes it yet...The car's been sitting in the garage since I bought it a month ago since we are on an extended trip out of town. . Can't see why she wouldn't though - it's similar enough to the 135i we had before.

The other point I want to add is - are you at a point in your life when an extra 10K etc spent on a car is negligible? If so by all means get "something special". BEM brings up a good point...Maintenance and repairs on these cars isn't cheap. If the 2000 miles you put on the car is to go get groceries etc, I would just get a newer cheap commuter car. If the 2000 miles is for aimless drives on twisty roads "just because", by all means get something special.
Or get a GTI and have fun on the twisters while on the way to getting groceries. There are lots of fun options on a budget if that's the main concern.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #10
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

"Normal road user" = 228i all day long, plenty of power and same appearance to most.
      07-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #11
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
"Normal road user" = 228i all day long, plenty of power and same appearance to most.
Good input. And since OP not US you have to worry about fuel costs more than we do. Also I forget specifics country to country but there are also big savings for engine smaller size versus larger, taxes all kinds of shit we don't have.

If running costs each year are double for the 6-cyl we can prob end the discussion. It's not twice as much fun.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      07-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #12
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Drove them both and didn't enjoy the heavier nose on the 235 for daily use...228 felt lighter/nimbler, so I ordered one of those. Power is not a problem at all and I personally don't care about exhaust sound....I have the music up.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
Miata1387.00
      07-27-2018, 12:58 PM   #13
SammT
Rep

Quote:
No not year, in service date. A 2015 could have more time left than a 2016.
Ah I see, take it I would have to ask for that information.

Quote:

Ah fair enough! Well I'm still young, 25, and with this new job I'm hoping to put in a lot of overtime and make the most of not having a family yet. The miles would be to things like the cinema, gym, going out with friends etc. but I want a nice car to do it in and something that I can show off in a way. I'll be spending all day driving a van so it would be nice to come home and just have a fun drive in something that puts a smile on my face!

Quote:
Yeah I feel that I wouldn't make the most of the 235is power, as much as I want it..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #14
SammT
Rep

Quote:
Good input. And since OP not US you have to worry about fuel costs more than we do. Also I forget specifics country to country but there are also big savings for engine smaller size versus larger, taxes all kinds of shit we don't have.

If running costs each year are double for the 6-cyl we can prob end the discussion. It's not twice as much fun.
Yeah but I figured with such low mileage the running costs wouldn't hit me as hard, although the 228 would definitely be cheaper to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Drove them both and didn't enjoy the heavier nose on the 235 for daily use...228 felt lighter/nimbler, so I ordered one of those. Power is not a problem at all and I personally don't care about exhaust sound....I have the music up.
Oh really? Yeah I would have music up as well, so you found it more enjoyable driving the 228i? Any regrets at all?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #15
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

You need to really take a step back and see what YOU need. Honestly, if it's a daily driver just to putt around town as a commuter, than the 228i is far more than enough. It's a 4-banger with 240 HP with pretty good fuel economy. If you're a very spirited and/or aggressive driver, maybe the bigger motor will suit you better. I found a compromise with the 228i with M-Sport package. It has a pretty decent sport suspension and the more aggressive looks of it's bigger sibling. I added a Dinan Sport Tune for $300, a K&N drop-in for $50, and did a swap for the 235i muffler for a better sound which ended up costing $400 with BMS tips. Just those 3 subtle upgrades have made quite a difference in my driving experience and I'm happy.

Do I wish I had the 235i? Sure, who doesn't want more power? But, I got such a great deal on my 228i M package that I don't have any regrets and my wallet has a few more bills in it for other things I enjoy, like guns and traveling.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2018, 01:38 PM   #16
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammT View Post
Oh really? Yeah I would have music up as well, so you found it more enjoyable driving the 228i? Any regrets at all?
None. I am much more entertained by overall chassis dynamics/response/handling, so I put a few dollars into swapping out the lower control arms for the M2 version and adding a strut tower brace to even further sharpen the reflexes. If I just think about changing lanes, the car is already there and it's excellent in turns, entrance ramps, etc. There is very good power from the 4, albeit less than the 6, but the overall balance pleased me more. My history goes back to the original 3 Series and 2002s, so I have a greater appreciation for a light, nimble, athletic feel than the quest for more powerful/larger/heavier engines.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
Miata1387.00
      07-27-2018, 01:48 PM   #17
SammT
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
You need to really take a step back and see what YOU need. Honestly, if it's a daily driver just to putt around town as a commuter, than the 228i is far more than enough. It's a 4-banger with 240 HP with pretty good fuel economy. If you're a very spirited and/or aggressive driver, maybe the bigger motor will suit you better. I found a compromise with the 228i with M-Sport package. It has a pretty decent sport suspension and the more aggressive looks of it's bigger sibling. I added a Dinan Sport Tune for $300, a K&N drop-in for $50, and did a swap for the 235i muffler for a better sound which ended up costing $400 with BMS tips. Just those 3 subtle upgrades have made quite a difference in my driving experience and I'm happy.

Do I wish I had the 235i? Sure, who doesn't want more power? But, I got such a great deal on my 228i M package that I don't have any regrets and my wallet has a few more bills in it for other things I enjoy, like guns and traveling.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, I would say I can be aggressive but it's not all the time and regardless I never do stupid speeds, just a quick acceleration would be good.

Yeah the person below mentioned that they too added some parts to improve the car, that definitely seems like a good way to go. What's your thoughts on this one: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ake=BMW&page=1 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
None. I am much more entertained by overall chassis dynamics/response/handling, so I put a few dollars into swapping out the lower control arms for the M2 version and adding a strut tower brace to even further sharpen the reflexes. If I just think about changing lanes, the car is already there and it's excellent in turns, entrance ramps, etc. There is very good power from the 4, albeit less than the 6, but the overall balance pleased me more. My history goes back to the original 3 Series and 2002s, so I have a greater appreciation for a light, nimble, athletic feel than the quest for more powerful/larger/heavier engines.
Hmm seems like getting a 228i and adding a few bits is the way to go, definitely sounds like you like the car! Yeah this would be my first sporty car so I'm sure I'll fall in love with it. Just a shame I can never really grasp the power of the car when I test drive them, normally have to drive super cautious.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #18
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
An extended test drive with each flavor and then pick what you like is the only viable answer to your question(s). Asking 228/230 v. 235/240 on this forum generally get's you personal bias from owners of each. For the most part each of us chose our particular 2 Series for a number of reasons which are personal to us. I have a 235 vert and I could go on and on why the 6 cylinder and a convertible is the only logical choice. That said, all the 2 Series cars, coupe or vert, 4 or 6 cylinder are great cars and whichever one you choose, you'll be happy. I am fairly new to BMW, but I firmly believe the current 2 Series is a special BMW and 20-30 years from now BMW enthusiasts will be talking about these cars the same way folks now talk about 3 Series E46's, 2002's and other iconic BMW's.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 2
Dylan861330.00
      07-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #19
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

I drove a 330i xdrive while my car was being looked after, and they're a great commuter, lots of get-up-and-go. I could overtake in almost any scenario and had no trouble exceeding double the speed limits in the mountain ranges. I'd imagine a 230 M sport would be super fun!

Getting back into my car after a few days was an eye opener to how much I prefer the tq,sound and overall experience with the N55. It's purely subjective, in all of these cases..

The B48 is a very strong powertrain, and for a DD I'd definitely consider one in the future.
      07-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #20
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammT View Post
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, I would say I can be aggressive but it's not all the time and regardless I never do stupid speeds, just a quick acceleration would be good.

Yeah the person below mentioned that they too added some parts to improve the car, that definitely seems like a good way to go. What's your thoughts on this one: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ake=BMW&page=1 ?

Hmm seems like getting a 228i and adding a few bits is the way to go, definitely sounds like you like the car! Yeah this would be my first sporty car so I'm sure I'll fall in love with it. Just a shame I can never really grasp the power of the car when I test drive them, normally have to drive super cautious.
That's actually a pretty good deal if my conversion is right to USD at $21,504. I'd personally go with the M-sport package and pay an extra $1000 or so on the used market. Trust me, the M-sport package is well worth it and you may regret not getting it. Not only is it a better suspension, there's the front fascia, sport seats, steering wheel, door sills, better wheels, a a couple other smaller things I can't remember.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 02:30 PM   #21
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That's actually a pretty good deal if my conversion is right to USD at $21,504. I'd personally go with the M-sport package and pay an extra $1000 or so on the used market. Trust me, the M-sport package is well worth it and you may regret not getting it. Not only is it a better suspension, there's the front fascia, sport seats, steering wheel, door sills, better wheels, a a couple other smaller things I can't remember.
Yes, and if you can find one with the Track Handing Package (badly misnamed - great on the street!), even better....adds MSport brakes, MAdaptive suspension, Variable Sports Steering, Michelin PSS tires. Sort of an M228i!
Appreciate 3
Dylan861330.00
hwntime270.00
Miata1387.00
      07-27-2018, 02:42 PM   #22
SammT
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
An extended test drive with each flavor and then pick what you like is the only viable answer to your question(s). Asking 228/230 v. 235/240 on this forum generally get's you personal bias from owners of each. For the most part each of us chose our particular 2 Series for a number of reasons which are personal to us. I have a 235 vert and I could go on and on why the 6 cylinder and a convertible is the only logical choice. That said, all the 2 Series cars, coupe or vert, 4 or 6 cylinder are great cars and whichever one you choose, you'll be happy. I am fairly new to BMW, but I firmly believe the current 2 Series is a special BMW and 20-30 years from now BMW enthusiasts will be talking about these cars the same way folks now talk about 3 Series E46's, 2002's and other iconic BMW's.
Yeah I've realised that in other threads, bigger is better tends to be a lot of the comments. They definitely seem like excellent cars, I just can't wait to get my hands on one! I just don't want to get buyers remorse as I want this car for at least 4-5 years.

Quote:
I drove a 330i xdrive while my car was being looked after, and they're a great commuter, lots of get-up-and-go. I could overtake in almost any scenario and had no trouble exceeding double the speed limits in the mountain ranges. I'd imagine a 230 M sport would be super fun!

Getting back into my car after a few days was an eye opener to how much I prefer the tq,sound and overall experience with the N55. It's purely subjective, in all of these cases..

The B48 is a very strong powertrain, and for a DD I'd definitely consider one in the future.
Yeah hopefully it is! As this is my first car with some power I think I'[ll be happy with any decent engine, I wouldn't know where to start with knowing the differences.

Quote:
Yeah I was definitely looking at ones with the M-sport package, seems like the better deal and more of a compromise over getting the 235i. Hopefully I can squeeze in a test drive soon!
Appreciate 0