THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing What do you guys do between sessions??

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-15-2018, 11:58 PM   #1
goodNIGHT
Private First Class
goodNIGHT's Avatar
60
Rep
145
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: LOS ANGELES

iTrader: (1)

What do you guys do between sessions??

Most of day is spent waiting for your next session. How do you guys fill the time?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 07:16 PM   #2
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
SteveInfante's Avatar
United_States
504
Rep
1,978
Posts

Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Columbia, SC

iTrader: (0)

Talking to other drivers about their cars.
__________________
328 F31 xDrive/OSM/Venetian Luxury Line/Cold Weather/Premium/Driving Assist/Nav/Tech "Golden Goose"
78' Honda CB400A project
https://www.facebook.com/newfinishcolumbia
http://www.instagram.com/newfinishcolumbia
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 06:52 AM   #3
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
295
Rep
1,175
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235i
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Somerville, Ma

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
Talking to other drivers about their cars.
I
Lol agreed. Also check tire psi, check lug torque, you could get a pyrometer and try to get readings and adjust tire pressure, shoot video on your laps.and review and improve.

At this point in time most smartphones a pretty capable for shooting footage. Just pick up a windshield mount.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW69.00

      03-19-2018, 07:16 AM   #4
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
SteveInfante's Avatar
United_States
504
Rep
1,978
Posts

Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Columbia, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
Talking to other drivers about their cars.
I
Lol agreed. Also check tire psi, check lug torque, you could get a pyrometer and try to get readings and adjust tire pressure, shoot video on your laps.and review and improve.

At this point in time most smartphones a pretty capable for shooting footage. Just pick up a windshield mount.
This too. Ha ha.
__________________
328 F31 xDrive/OSM/Venetian Luxury Line/Cold Weather/Premium/Driving Assist/Nav/Tech "Golden Goose"
78' Honda CB400A project
https://www.facebook.com/newfinishcolumbia
http://www.instagram.com/newfinishcolumbia
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
cxp213
Lieutenant
cxp213's Avatar
297
Rep
572
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

I make sure that my car and equipment are still good after each session, so this includes tire pressures, temps, brake pads, fluids, etc. I sometimes take my car off-site for a longer cooldown. It's also good habit to make notes and review your previous session in prep for the next. The rest of the time, I'm probably just shooting the sh1t with the other drivers, watching the track, or instructing.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 05:55 PM   #6
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
Anthony235's Avatar
United_States
676
Rep
1,546
Posts

Drives: m235i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: OC, Ca

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
I check the torque on my lugs and tire pressures after the first session, but that's it really. Other than that I mostly forget to turn off my GoPro (if I even remembered to turn it on to begin with) and give and receive sh*t talking with my buddies.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #7
cxp213
Lieutenant
cxp213's Avatar
297
Rep
572
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
I check the torque on my lugs and tire pressures after the first session, but that's it really. Other than that I mostly forget to turn off my GoPro (if I even remembered to turn it on to begin with) and give and receive sh*t talking with my buddies.
Lol, I do this at least once per track event. It's a good thing I carry spare batteries and memory.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 11:40 AM   #8
drunkenup
Captain
189
Rep
944
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i, 2006 330i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Urinate, a lot
__________________
MHD | BMS | VRSF | APEX | RECARO | TC Kline | BERK | Turner Motorsport | Eibach | BMW Performance
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 06:35 PM   #9
pikcachu
Brigadier General
pikcachu's Avatar
925
Rep
4,730
Posts

Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: undisclosed

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenup View Post
Urinate, a lot
hopefully outside the car
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 06:57 PM   #10
coolmac
New Member
3
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 335i , M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (1)

Track Time

I like to bull shoot with other drivers, drink fluids and time other cars with my phone. I time myself with my GoPro.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2019, 07:26 AM   #11
dradernh
Captain
321
Rep
779
Posts

Drives: 2017 M240i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

This is generally my routine, more or less:

Take tire pressures as soon as the car is parked
Raise the car's hood
Drink some water
Take the GoPro out of the car, swap in a fresh battery, and start the download onto the laptop
Take the AiM Solo out of the car, plug it in to keep the battery charged, and start its download onto the laptop
Lift the car one side at a time, setting it on jack stands, and then examine these areas:
  • the underside of the car, looking for anything loose, wet, amiss, or whatever
  • the braking components, making sure everything is in place and there are no leaks
  • the interior and exterior sides of the tires
  • the tread of each tire
Grab a bottle of water and take a walk around, chat with other drivers, visit the toilet, go to any necessary meetings, have a bite of food, maybe check the forecast

Put the GoPro and the AiM Solo back into the car
Review the session's data to see if what I'm working on is producing the desired result
Review the video if that will be useful for a later session
Check the windshield, cleaning it if necessary
Check fluid levels: oil, brake, and coolant
Look at the radiator openings to make sure they're clear and there's nothing stuck up against any of the radiators
Torque each lug nut
Adjust tire pressures based on the hot pressures at the end of the last session
Drink some more water
__________________
2017 M240i: MT, Moonroof Delete, EB, Black Dakota Leather, Driving Assistance Package, Heated Front Seats
TC Kline Coilover Kit; EDC/eLSD Delete; Wavetrac; Al Subframe Bushings; ARC-8 - 18X9 & 17X9; R888R - 255/35-18 & 255/40-17; Hawk DTC70; Schroth Quick Fit Pro Harnesses
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2019, 12:12 PM   #12
kthor703
New Member
5
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235i
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Washington, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
This is generally my routine, more or less:

Take tire pressures as soon as the car is parked
Raise the car's hood
Drink some water
Take the GoPro out of the car, swap in a fresh battery, and start the download onto the laptop
Take the AiM Solo out of the car, plug it in to keep the battery charged, and start its download onto the laptop
Lift the car one side at a time, setting it on jack stands, and then examine these areas:
  • the underside of the car, looking for anything loose, wet, amiss, or whatever
  • the braking components, making sure everything is in place and there are no leaks
  • the interior and exterior sides of the tires
  • the tread of each tire
Grab a bottle of water and take a walk around, chat with other drivers, visit the toilet, go to any necessary meetings, have a bite of food, maybe check the forecast

Put the GoPro and the AiM Solo back into the car
Review the session's data to see if what I'm working on is producing the desired result
Review the video if that will be useful for a later session
Check the windshield, cleaning it if necessary
Check fluid levels: oil, brake, and coolant
Look at the radiator openings to make sure they're clear and there's nothing stuck up against any of the radiators
Torque each lug nut
Adjust tire pressures based on the hot pressures at the end of the last session
Drink some more water
Good tips all around. Make you don't check the lug torque while everything is hot.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #13
dradernh
Captain
321
Rep
779
Posts

Drives: 2017 M240i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthor703 View Post
Good tips all around. Make you don't check the lug torque while everything is hot.
Yes, you definitely want to do that after everything has cooled off. On hot days when the car is parked in the sun, that can take a while.

Waiting until just before you go back out ensures that you're not over-torquing the lug nuts/bolts.
__________________
2017 M240i: MT, Moonroof Delete, EB, Black Dakota Leather, Driving Assistance Package, Heated Front Seats
TC Kline Coilover Kit; EDC/eLSD Delete; Wavetrac; Al Subframe Bushings; ARC-8 - 18X9 & 17X9; R888R - 255/35-18 & 255/40-17; Hawk DTC70; Schroth Quick Fit Pro Harnesses
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 08:47 PM   #14
goodNIGHT
Private First Class
goodNIGHT's Avatar
60
Rep
145
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: LOS ANGELES

iTrader: (1)

No one playing corn hole, soap boxcar racing, super soaker fights, crazykarting, frisbee, or Checking stocks etc ????
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 08:33 PM   #15
esoulliard
New Member
United_States
15
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2015 Mineral Grey M235i 6MT
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Souderton, PA

iTrader: (0)

In addition to the things listed here, I also like to hitch rides with instructors when I can. I also like to read Speed Secrets or try to follow some of the advice from that book too (like taking notes on a track map).
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #16
Dylan86
Lieutenant Colonel
Dylan86's Avatar
Canada
986
Rep
1,951
Posts

Drives: M235i MP Edition, 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rossland, BC

iTrader: (0)

Park car in gear, no p.brake
Pop hood to allow as much how air out as possible
Check tire pressures and log data, rest once cooled
Check lap times, plan where I can get more out of the track, next
Look under the car, check for debris/leaks/anything obviously wrong
Check Oil, fluids

STRETCH, drink some water, chit chat.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 08:07 PM   #17
Maynard
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
991
Rep
1,611
Posts

Drives: 2016 228iX
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

^^all good stuff. I'd add a couple: Latex gloves are great - a box is only a few bucks, and you can use them for things like tire pressure checks so you don't have to keep washing crap off your hands. Sunscreen first thing, and again at noon if you remember. You can get a cheap pyrometer gun at Harbor F. for under $20 to check brake and tire temps. And I use an old bedsheet to cover the seats and my helmet between runs so they don't torch up in the sun. And check your brake fluid level along with a/t else (and don't torque hot lugs, even if lots of other people are doing it).

Last edited by Maynard; 06-16-2019 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #18
GreyM235
New Member
3
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235i
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: ON

iTrader: (0)

I try not to be anti-social but often find myself strapped for time as a one man pit crew and don’t get much beyond car/driver maintenance done between sessions. Always make a point to hang around after the lapping is over.
Appreciate 1
dradernh321.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.




2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST