THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum clunking/clicking sound on M235i

05-18-2015, 09:19 PM   #1
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i

clunking/clicking sound on M235i

Hey guys,

So, I have been noticing a clunking/clicking sound sometimes when turning the wheel and starting to move forward. Othervtimes if I am going up my drive way I hear it. It is coming from the front suspension.

I have DINAN springs. Is this normal? It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough for it to bug me. I don't know if it only started, or if it has been happening since I had the suspension put on. Anyone else hear this?
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2015, 09:51 PM   #2
skitsos
Police Magnet
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i (F22)

Don't worry you are not the only one... I hear a good number of people have been annoyed by this as well. As a matter of fact whenever I have my stock wheels with summer tires on (Michelin PSS), and I am backing out of my driveway slowly, and my steering wheel is turned to a good degree (close to all the way), I do hear some kind of creaking sound, either it be the wheel slipping on my driveway curb or the suspension emitting the strange noise. I don't know if it is a serious issue since everything is fine other than that annoying noise that I get when I leave my driveway every once in a while. I've noticed the faster I back out of my driveway the less likely I will hear it, opposed to going very slow and being more likely to hear the noise. I am also on stock suspension for now... I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you start to hear it very periodically throughout your drive or if it starts to cause other issues with your driving. Hopefully your case isn't serious and it is just a small annoying noise that doesn't affect drivability
      05-19-2015, 06:35 AM   #3
ckfraser
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i (MR)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I've got the same issue. I always thought it was just me driving over a pebble that couldn't fit in the tire tread. Not sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

If its clicking when you turning around a corner or into a driveway. I had this issue in my 135i and it was that my wheel torque was not correct or tight enough. Dealer said to torque to 90 even up to 100 FT LBs. After torquing to those specs clicking went away.
I would switch between winter and summer setup.
      05-19-2015, 02:19 PM   #5
BMWCOREY125
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

what is making the noise is the shock mounts, I've had them replaced twice on both sides already on my M235i
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #6
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

I've had my 235 since May 2014, and none of the symptoms mentioned in this thread have been noticed.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 08:40 PM   #7
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCOREY125 View Post
what is making the noise is the shock mounts, I've had them replaced twice on both sides already on my M235i
Can you give more info about this? Did the noise go away when they were replaced? What exactly is the issue with the mounts?
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2015, 08:41 PM   #8
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman6074 View Post
If its clicking when you turning around a corner or into a driveway. I had this issue in my 135i and it was that my wheel torque was not correct or tight enough. Dealer said to torque to 90 even up to 100 FT LBs. After torquing to those specs clicking went away.
I would switch between winter and summer setup.
Wheel torque? do you mean the torque on the lug nuts?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 08:53 PM   #9
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

I've heard some weird clunking noise at very low speeds (like when cruising in a crowded parking lot), but it's too intermittent and infrequent for me to just show up at the dealer and say "there it is".
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:13 PM   #10
BMWCOREY125
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by configt
Quote:
Can you give more info about this? Did the noise go away when they were replaced? What exactly is the issue with the mounts?
The noise went away the first time they were replaced and it lasted a few months and then the noise came back and then they were replaced again, the mount looks completely fine when it is off the car and won't make any noise when you spin it, I'm assuming it won't make any noise because it has no load on it, but they have to internally damaged to be making that noise
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #11
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The noise went away the first time they were replaced and it lasted a few months and then the noise came back and then they were replaced again, the mount looks completely fine when it is off the car and won't make any noise when you spin it, I'm assuming it won't make any noise because it has no load on it, but they have to internally damaged to be making that noise
Are you on stock springs or DINAN/H&R springs?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #12
BMWCOREY125
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by configt
Quote:
Are you on stock springs or DINAN/H&R springs?
I'm on stock suspension
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #13
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

My brand new car is making a loud sound just like this. I keep turning my head because it sounds like something is happening in my back seat.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #14
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hey guys,

I took the car to my buddy who runs a shop here in Scottsdale, AZ and turns out the issue is my strut mount bearing. You can easily check if this is the issue by putting the car on a lift and then turning the wheel that is making the sound with your hand. At a certain point in the turn you will hearing binding clicky sound. It happens every time. You can put your hand on the strut and feel it vibrate too. What sucks is that BMW won't cover it unless I put the springs back to stock and then take it in for warranty work.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #15
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You were right. It was the strut mount bearing.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #16
walnuttea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i, Alpine White

Hey guys. Revisiting this thread. I was watching a video on youtube about a clicking noise on the M235i whenever the wheels are turned while on a lift. It was a completely random video I was watching, but it suddenly hit me that I had this exact same issue a couple months back. I went to get my side reflectors replaced, and while the car was on the lift we turned the wheels for easy access. That's when we kept hearing the loud clicking noise every single time the front wheels were turned side to side. My friend thought it was very weird and said it didn't sound normal. I never experienced issues driving or noticed a clicking noise, so I figured it was normal and nothing to worry about.

After doing a bit more research however, looks like it could actually be an issue? People in this thread mentioned strut mount bearings. Is this something that would be a concern for everyday car use and/or something to worry about? Any experience with taking the car to the dealership for the problem?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 11:17 PM   #17
Wagerd
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Glacier, '17 M2 AW

Same noise - reversing and turning off driveway

Just took delivery of a 2015 M235 (glacier) that has 17K miles -- it is in pristine shape, with no wear anywhere that I can tell, but backing out of my driveway makes a big "clunk" on the outside (of the turn) front tire. Was alarming the first time I backed out. I also notice the front suspension much more clunky over speed bumps than the back. Everything feels tight driving other than these instances. I've seen posts talking about this being a consequence of the steering geometry, but I've owned BMWs for over 25 years, and never heard anything like this where parts aren't loose -- usually was rear strut mount bushing on the older cars when the noise in the back. I'll take it in and have the strut bushings checked, and report back.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #18
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M8

My mom had the same problem with her X3 (Fsomething)... We were dealing with that for like a 5 months after finally going to dealer. It was problem with sillent blocks in the front suspensions or somewhere like that... Car has about 100 000 Km and roads are rubbish. Have an inspection by dealer, repair was about ?75 and fixed the problem. (fisrtly they wanted to change all the front axle that goes around ?5000 but that would be ridiculous)
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #19
walnuttea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i, Alpine White

Interesting. Keep us updated folks! I'll probably take mine in for the post-winter inspection and check this out as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 05:07 PM   #20
Cycle Pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

So, I'm in the process of installing Dinan springs on an M240i and before assembling everything, I tested for clicking sound. Yep! I have it. I'm tempted to go back to the stock springs while I have everything apart. Has anybody found a solution to this? The car is brand new... 2000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 11:15 PM   #21
Cycle Pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle Pilot View Post
So, I'm in the process of installing Dinan springs on an M240i and before assembling everything, I tested for clicking sound. Yep! I have it. I'm tempted to go back to the stock springs while I have everything apart. Has anybody found a solution to this? The car is brand new... 2000 miles.
So, I'm quoting myself because I think this is really important. I found out what I did wrong. You need to make sure to compress the new springs enough to take all of the pressure off the top cover. THEN torque the top strut nut to specs and release the spring's pressure. As soon as I did this the noise went away. I think there was too much pressure on the strut bearing or it wasn't sitting straight because the nut wasn't completely torqued to the strut. I hope this makes sense and saves somebody trouble.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 03:18 PM   #22
Wagerd
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Glacier, '17 M2 AW

Checking back in on this -- I've had the car at the dealer twice for this problem, and they've replaced struts, mounts, etc. nothing helped. Tires are worn on outside, and they said "we put some all-season tires on it, and it didn't do it." Master mechanic, regional guy involved, etc. nothing found. They also re-aligned the car. Now it is actually worse. Definitely something causing the tire to skip on pavement in reverse - have never had a BMW do this to me before, and I've owned several (320i, e30M3, e46M3, 330ZHP). I have to believe this is a geometry problem with the front suspension, which is reason it wears out the outside front tires so fast. Going forward, tires are pinched inward, and rarely turned too sharply, going reverse, tires flayed out disproportionately, causing the one with most traction to drag the other sideways. Probably not as noticeable with new tires because the geometry is slightly different. This is my theory, anyway -- does this make sense to anyone else? Has anyone with aftermarket wheels had this same issue?
Appreciate 0