THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes The brake pad thread

04-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #111
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

>> Front StopTech Sport pads. 309.15610

Any idea if these will fit the M Performance brakes?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #112
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
>> Front StopTech Sport pads. 309.15610

Any idea if these will fit the M Performance brakes?
http://www.bimmerworld.com/Brakes/St...3-F34-F36.html

Looks like no. These pads are for the non Blue caliper, non M performance brakes that came on the x28 and x30 cars without the brake upgrade.

you want these: http://www.bimmerworld.com/Stoptech-...2-F83-F87.html
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic

Last edited by bryan_G01; 04-08-2018 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
x233284.00
      04-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #113
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
Let us know how the pads are, short and long term.
Will do. I'm sure the addition of the stainless lines and better fluid will make a difference, even daily driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 06:44 PM   #114
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

So I did my pads, stainless lines, and fluid flush today. After bedding in the pedal feel is improved quite a bit from stock. One thing to note is that the StopTech pads don't have the thin recessed potion for the wear sensor. The U shape is present but the plate portion is wedged and too thick to install the sensors. Front and rear are both like that. Lastly the pressure bleeder has a new design that includes a rubber insert in the cap so no need to do the O-ring mod. Doesn't leak a bit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
bryan_G011164.50
M235SDCA105.00
      04-23-2018, 11:30 PM   #115
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

Ferodo DS2500 Details

After reading through this entire thread multiple times, talking with some racers, and reading lots of other reviews, I decided to try the Ferodo DS2500. Supposedly more disc friendly than other street / light race pads, with a nice linear feel, and an excellent reputation on heavier cars like ours. I don't know how that will pan out, but if they are nicer to the discs than the EBC Yellowstuff or Hawk HP 5.0 I was also looking at, the longer disk life will be worth the higher cost. And they are still way cheaper than real race pads.

Doing the installation, there were three surprises:
  1. The pads DO support the brake wear sensors.
  2. The pads do not have the 'horns' that the OEM and most others have.
  3. There is no chamfer on the pads.

This is a picture of the front and back of the Front OEM pads that I pulled out, and the DS2500 pads. You can see the lack of horns, and the flat edges. I considered filing the edges to ease them a bit, but decided against it. The pads do have a backing plate, but not the extra silver shim plate the OEM's have. (I labeled the original pads with their location in case I put them back.)
Name:  ferodo_front_comparison_180421.jpg
Views: 2729
Size:  237.9 KB

This is a picture of the Back pads, OEM and Ferodo. Same details as the fronts, just smaller.
Name:  ferodo_back_comparision_180421.jpg
Views: 2594
Size:  292.8 KB

This is a picture of the brake wear sensor installed in the back pad. I was pleasantly surprised that the sensors fit since more than one post said they didn't, and another poster had StopTech pads that didn't support them. But, they fit perfectly. In fact, when I put them on the front I couldn't get it to fit, and was thinking I was just lucky on the back. But no, I was trying to put the sensor in backwards (DOH!), and it was correctly keeping me from doing that. Turned it around the correct way and it snapped right in like it was OEM.
Name:  ferodo_sensor_back_180421.jpg
Views: 1494
Size:  203.6 KB

Here is a picture of the pads installed in the front caliper. You can see they fit perfectly without the horns on them. I'm speculating that Ferodo left them off to improve cooling. But it could just be cost saving also. Not sure if the lack of horns made it easier or harder to install. You have to pay more attention that the pins are correctly threading the holes, and the spring clip makes that a bit harder. On the other hand, you have great visibility in to see what's going on and line things up. You can also see the front wear sensor installed on the far pad.
Name:  ferodo_front_installed_180421.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  185.7 KB

Install tips:
A tip I gleaned from another forum was really useful. If you put a catch bottle on, and crack the bleeder open, it's super easy to push the pads and cylinders back with your fingers. Makes it real easy to get the clearance you need to slide the old pads out and the new pads in.

These are the first Brembo style brakes I've done, and I was concerned about using a punch to push the pins out. Thought about buying the Racing Brake tool, but it seemed pricey. I decided to buy a set of 'Roll Pin Starter Punch' instead. Worked perfectly. There are several sets on Amazon in the >$10 range, designed for gun-smithing (and often referred to as an AR-15 set.) I bought the set from Squirrel Daddy, $7 shipped. For the price, I thought it was worth a chance. They turned out to be exquisite little tools. Any of the three small punches work perfectly. The barrel fits in the caliper with just the right clearance, and the hole centers on the retention pins perfectly. The big punch is a bit small to drive the pin back in. Works, but isn't big enough. Will need to research that a bit more.

Initial impressions:
I bedded the brakes with the Ferodo recommended procedure. Went well, but the burnt brake fumes are particularly vile and long lived. Hope that fades.

I have been pleasantly surprised by how quiet they are. As quiet as the OEM pads. I did use some high-temp brake grease on the back of the pads, and the edge of the back plate. Not the gooey anti-squeal gel, but just a light touch of grease. (Another tip from a different forum.) We'll see if they stay quiet.

So far I've only driven them around town. The lack of bite when cold is a bit annoying. I understand that is to be expected with pads like these. They work and stop the car easily enough, but they are really dead. And they come up to a usable temperature by the time I'm out of my neighborhood. Once they have a few stops in they work well. But for driving around town the OEM pads are way more consistent, with a bit more initial bite even when warm. It will take constant effort to stay on top of the changing feel of the Ferodo pads as they warm up. At this point, I'm thinking I might put the OEM pads back in when the winter tires go back on.

Then again, as they break in, they could get a lot better. Or I might just get used to them. Once I have some track time on them I'll report back how they work for their intended purpose.

OEM thoughts:
I'm amazed at the condition of the OEM pads. These have 25K miles on them, and two HPDE days, and they barely look worn. With Motul RBF600 they held up fairly well at the second HPDE day. I could feel them fading, but they still stopped well from 90mph speeds. If I didn't have some bigger track days (BIR) planned this summer, I probably would have kept them. And as I said, way more consistent driving around town.

------ Post season comments here.

Last edited by ggggbmw; 01-05-2019 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: referenc to later post
Appreciate 3
      04-24-2018, 08:45 AM   #116
Rolf14
Rep
Drives: 14' 228i MSport

Brake Dust Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
Agreed on the squeal and dusting. Personally I don't care about brake dust (badge of honor for using "good" brake pads), but I totally understand those who want super clean wheels. However, the first thing you normally have to give up for "good" brake pads is the dusting unless you get carbon ceramic pads/rotors.

(1) This weekend I performed a small experiment on my 2014 M-Sport 228: I substituted two of the OEM pads with two Akebono ceramic pads. I then washed and waxed my extra set of silver 461s and went driving for a couple days (less than 100 miles). The amount of dust that accumulated inside and outside of the wheels with the OEM pads was astounding. I am now running Akebono on all 4 wheels. I am willing to trade a little less “performance” when the pads are cold, for the amount of work required to keep the wheels clean, particularly so because once the brakes are warm, the performance is so much better. (2) While I was there, I noticed the amount of surface rust on the hubs and OEM disks. Why is that? I had scraped that rust and painted the area with caliper paint, but the rust is back. BMW should use some kind of treatment to minimize rust in that area.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 09:10 AM   #117
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I need pads that won't squeal but still perform well for back road fun. Please help
      04-27-2018, 09:19 AM   #118
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf14 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
Agreed on the squeal and dusting. Personally I don't care about brake dust (badge of honor for using "good" brake pads), but I totally understand those who want super clean wheels. However, the first thing you normally have to give up for "good" brake pads is the dusting unless you get carbon ceramic pads/rotors.

(1) This weekend I performed a small experiment on my 2014 M-Sport 228: I substituted two of the OEM pads with two Akebono ceramic pads. I then washed and waxed my extra set of silver 461s and went driving for a couple days (less than 100 miles). The amount of dust that accumulated inside and outside of the wheels with the OEM pads was astounding. I am now running Akebono on all 4 wheels. I am willing to trade a little less “performance” when the pads are cold, for the amount of work required to keep the wheels clean, particularly so because once the brakes are warm, the performance is so much better. (2) While I was there, I noticed the amount of surface rust on the hubs and OEM disks. Why is that? I had scraped that rust and painted the area with caliper paint, but the rust is back. BMW should use some kind of treatment to minimize rust in that area.
Do you know the part number for the pads by any chance?
      04-27-2018, 10:35 AM   #119
Rolf14
Rep
Drives: 14' 228i MSport

Akebono Ceramic Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
My car has the standard brakes. After taking the wheels off to wash them I discovered the rear factory pads were really low (3-4mm) so I wanted something quick. Surfing the internet I actually found and purchased them at Advance Auto since they had them in stock. Don’t judge me!

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...463%7CL3*15694
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #120
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My car has the standard brakes. After taking the wheels off to wash them I discovered the rear factory pads were really low (3-4mm) so I wanted something quick. Surfing the internet I actually found and purchased them at Advance Auto since they had them in stock. Don’t judge me!

Good stock replacement pads.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #121
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Hey guys, who's got the best pricing on PFC pads? Need some "08's", but for an aftermarket bbk... Cheers,

D
      04-27-2018, 06:52 PM   #122
john16443
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

I'd like to see these pads added to the spreadsheet.

Power Stop Track Day pads model numbers PST-1609 for the fronts, and PST-1656 for the rears, purchased on Amazon. Used the EBC yellows for the first 2 track days at Thunderhill, didn't like them. Stopped ok, acceptable noise, but didn't last for squat. They were done after two relatively easy track days. Put on the PST's for a weekend at Buttonwillow in March, and better braking performance, noisier (expected), but way longer lasting. I put the track specific pads on a few days ahead of the HPDE event and remove them as soon as possible afterwards, so don't run them for long periods on the street.

I wouldn't consider them daily use pads, but they handle HPDE's with no problems at all. I run ATE fluid, currently with stock brake lines. No fade issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #123
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:

Damn looks liek they're out of stock
      04-30-2018, 03:55 PM   #124
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I'm in between these Posi Quiet Ceramic pads

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...taggered+Tires

and Akebono Ceramic Pads
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...03134-f323336/

The squealing on my car is horrendous, I don't plan on doing anymore track days and I'll be moving on to the next car in about a year, any advice?
      04-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #125
john16443
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
I'm in between these Posi Quiet Ceramic pads

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...taggered+Tires

and Akebono Ceramic Pads
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...03134-f323336/

The squealing on my car is horrendous, I don't plan on doing anymore track days and I'll be moving on to the next car in about a year, any advice?
Try these ceramic pads. I really like them for the street on my M240i

Fronts: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rears: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Be sure to use brake grease on the back side of both pads, and along the edges. That should address your squealing.
Appreciate 1
Powaup1252.00
      05-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #126
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

If you find pads and like them and want to review, etc...

Add them to the spreadsheet. Everyone has read/write...

About to buy another set of ebc yellows...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #127
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I don't think I've seen it in here yet, but has anyone tried the stock f80 pads yet in our cars? I am wondering how they compare to stock? How they compare to yellow stuff?

Fcp euro sells them which would be a huge plus
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #128
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
I don't think I've seen it in here yet, but has anyone tried the stock f80 pads yet in our cars? I am wondering how they compare to stock? How they compare to yellow stuff?

they fit.. give um a shot.

I just put in fresh ebc yellows and got a squeaky set. First time, they sound like track pads. How long did it take for the coating to wear off and get quiet?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 09:38 PM   #129
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:

UK guys seem to love them.
They are supposed to be an upgrade for steet use.

I'm using Endless MX72s as a double duty pad.
They are OK but not as good as I was expecting for the money.
They are more consistent and last longer on track than stock, but I can still get them smoking after 3 hard laps and a cool down lap.

On the road they will get noisy after a period of slow daily driving in traffic as the transfer layer wears off.
Not squeally, more of a scraping, grinding noise. Sounds like they are chewing through the rotors.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 07:08 AM   #130
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
they fit.. give um a shot.

I just put in fresh ebc yellows and got a squeaky set. First time, they sound like track pads. How long did it take for the coating to wear off and get quiet?
I did the recommended bed in for the yellows, which takes a while. There is an accelerated break in as well. It's something along the lines of light brake use for 500 miles, medium brake use for 200 miles, then 10 abs stops from 70mph -10mph. A decent amount of smoke came off the brakes, but they were good to go after that.

I forget the accelerated bed in procedure, but I think it can be done with a couple laps around the track.

Mine have been pretty good so far, they barely squeal at all. Sometimes under light braking in a parking lot.

And yeah, maybe I'll give them a try. Any wear components from Fcp is a huge advantage in my eyes. Did you see that they have the mperformance rotors now!

They are only listed as "fronts" is there a difference between fronts and rears? Or would you just buy 4 "fronts". I thought on our cars the rotors we're 340x30 front and rear. Unless you have upgraded to 370 in front.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #131
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I did the recommended bed in for the yellows, which takes a while. There is an accelerated break in as well. It's something along the lines of light brake use for 500 miles, medium brake use for 200 miles, then 10 abs stops from 70mph -10mph. A decent amount of smoke came off the brakes, but they were good to go after that.

I forget the accelerated bed in procedure, but I think it can be done with a couple laps around the track.

Mine have been pretty good so far, they barely squeal at all. Sometimes under light braking in a parking lot.

And yeah, maybe I'll give them a try. Any wear components from Fcp is a huge advantage in my eyes. Did you see that they have the mperformance rotors now!

They are only listed as "fronts" is there a difference between fronts and rears? Or would you just buy 4 "fronts". I thought on our cars the rotors we're 340x30 front and rear. Unless you have upgraded to 370 in front.

Dude, i saw the rotors but didnt want to say anything..keep it quiet thats like a $1k save. I go through at least a set a year.

I just changed all my plugs, coils courtesy of FCP.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:26 AM   #132
aturk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by john16443 View Post
Try these ceramic pads. I really like them for the street on my M240i

Fronts: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rears: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Be sure to use brake grease on the back side of both pads, and along the edges. That should address your squealing.
I just grabbed a set of these, along with Stoptech lines, and fresh ATE fluid.

Hoping between the better fluid, and new lines, I will gain some performance that I am losing from the ceramic pads. The OEM pads leave something to be desired, I have some weird pedal feel, and the dust is just awful unless I can wash my wheels every other day.

It's just a street car so I'm sure I'll be happier.

I've always used Akebono ceramic pads on my previous cars with great luck, but they were more daily driver oriented.
Appreciate 0