THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Driving myself crazy - please help!

04-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #45
math4scher
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 MINI Cooper S 4 Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
If you're getting the manual regardless, it really doesn't matter if you drive the 228 or 235 with one does it? Unless you hate the transmission entirely and it's a deal breaker which I cannot imagine happening. Ideally you'd be able to find a 228 and a 235 to test drive even both automatic since you're basically choosing engine at this point. Your other option, realize it's less than ideal but based on what you've got to work with, is to drive another BMW with the same engines just to get a baseline feel for the difference. Yes it won't handle the same, etc. etc. but if you do the following you can probably cobble something together:

1. Drive 228 and 428 (or 328 if you can't find one). If you like 228 better we've at least established you'd like the 2 better than the 4.
2. Drive 428 (or 328) then drive the 435 (or 335). If you like the engine better in one versus the other we're making progress.

For example, using the transitive property or a venn diagram or whatever... If you like the 2 better than the 4/3 and like the 35 better than the 28, unless you're smoking something funky cigarettes down there you'd be 99% sure that the 235 would be the car for you compared to the 228. It would be at least as good or better than your favorite of what you've been able to get your hands on. The simple fact of the matter is you are never going to be able to drive exactly what you want before ordering, so you have to get bits of pieces of data as best you can and make the best call.

EDIT: If you can get your hands on a 135 w/ the N55 engine that's probably your closest comp. If you like that you'll love the fit and finish of the 2 by comparison. Just to level set here, none of your options suck so make a call and don't look back, you'll be happy regardless.
BEM-S4, thanks so very much for your time/detailed response -these are awesome ideas/suggestions. As a Math Teacher, I loved the mathematical references you made - thanks! The Transitive Property seems like a super way to make the best comparison under the circumstances. Thanks again for always taking the time to respond, not just to my inquiries - but to others as well!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #46
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

M235i!!!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #47
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by math4scher View Post
BEM-S4, thanks so very much for your time/detailed response -these are awesome ideas/suggestions. As a Math Teacher, I loved the mathematical references you made - thanks! The Transitive Property seems like a super way to make the best comparison under the circumstances. Thanks again for always taking the time to respond, not just to my inquiries - but to others as well!
Happy to help, dad did a year as a math teacher before heading to med school, learned me up good. Just don't completely lose your mind and start regressing test drive results to help you decide!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #48
math4scher
Private
Rep

Quote:
Driving myself crazy/going back and forth between: 2015 228i with Track Handling Package, M Sport, Manual, Premium Package, Technology Package, Driver's Assist, Driver's Assist Plus, Lighting Package, Harmon Kardon or similarly loaded 2014 M235i for approximately $5000 more? I would really appreciate your insights to help me pull the trigger on the right car for me - members on this forum are/have been so very helpful.

A little about me: I'm 65, I have never taken a car to the track, I have always driven a manual, I'm anxious to purchase but I could be patient so I buy the right car for me -as I do not want buyer's remorse, I could afford either but I teach/I'm closing in on retirement, present car is a 2011 Audi A4 Prestige and previous cars: VW Eos, Acura RSX, Acura RSX, VW Passat, Honda Prelude, Toyota Celica, Ford Pinto.

Thanks so very much for taking the time to help!

My build above totals $52,050. I have a TrueCar Savings Certificate for $1075 off the MSRP - is that a good price/deal?

As I write, I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger on a 2014 M235i in the immediate future, if I get a production slot in the very near future. If not, I will then wait for the 2015 models. I was only able to make this lean because of the input/suggestions/advice of fellow 2addicts members - thanks you so very much!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #49
disco4me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Here is a trick I learned with truecar. When you use your zip code, it only gives you the three closest dealers. If there are more than 3 dealers in your market plug in a zip code closer to other dealers. I plugged in a zip code in Atlanta and showed no discount. I plugged in a bunch of zip codes throughout the southeast and came across a dealer in columbia sc that showed 5% off msrp. If you are a USAA member, log into their buying service. They use the truecar system and give you a little more off than not using usaa with truecar. And, if you do a performance center delivery 8t does not really matter where you buy your car. And, you get a great experience at the track...for free.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #50
math4scher
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco4me View Post
Here is a trick I learned with truecar. When you use your zip code, it only gives you the three closest dealers. If there are more than 3 dealers in your market plug in a zip code closer to other dealers. I plugged in a zip code in Atlanta and showed no discount. I plugged in a bunch of zip codes throughout the southeast and came across a dealer in columbia sc that showed 5% off msrp. If you are a USAA member, log into their buying service. They use the truecar system and give you a little more off than not using usaa with truecar. And, if you do a performance center delivery 8t does not really matter where you buy your car. And, you get a great experience at the track...for free.
disco4me, thanks for the tricks/tips/info - I will try them. Is $1075 off a good deal for the $MSRP of $52050? THANKS again!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #51
SuitedUp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport

I think a lot of people have gotten 2k off, some more or less. Seems like some dealers will work with you, some won't. My CA was easy to work with because I sought him out based on reviews, emailed him ahead of time, and he was pretty surprised I found him specifically, so he was willing to do the best he could, I also mentioned I was a member of the forums, and saw people were getting 2k+ off MSRP. They're also a very high volume dealer, so that could have something to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #52
disco4me
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
disco4me, thanks for the tricks/tips/info - I will try them. Is $1075 off a good deal for the $MSRP of $52050? THANKS again!
I think the people who shop around aggressively have gotten near 5% off msrp. It just depends on how many slots a dealer has available. If they have a limited number of slots they probably won't be as flexible...and rightfully so.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #53
disco4me
First Lieutenant
Rep

With truecar, try using the zip codes of dealers you might want to buy from. If the ending page with the actual prices shows that zip code is zero miles away well...you just figured out which dealer the price is at. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #54
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco4me View Post
I think the people who shop around aggressively have gotten near 5% off msrp. It just depends on how many slots a dealer has available. If they have a limited number of slots they probably won't be as flexible...and rightfully so.
Exactly.....I was not able to find any other deals or better pricing out there that beat the straight up deal I did with the dealer so I just did that. I got 5% off MSRP.....still waiting for the factory to pick up my slot
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #55
math4scher
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitedUp View Post
I think a lot of people have gotten 2k off, some more or less. Seems like some dealers will work with you, some won't. My CA was easy to work with because I sought him out based on reviews, emailed him ahead of time, and he was pretty surprised I found him specifically, so he was willing to do the best he could, I also mentioned I was a member of the forums, and saw people were getting 2k+ off MSRP. They're also a very high volume dealer, so that could have something to do with it.
SuitedUp, thanks for sharing that!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 09:14 PM   #56
math4scher
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
Exactly.....I was not able to find any other deals or better pricing out there that beat the straight up deal I did with the dealer so I just did that. I got 5% off MSRP.....still waiting for the factory to pick up my slot
ehagerty and disco4me, very good insights - I'm going to get right on it - thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 06:52 AM   #57
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quick history,
I took my wife's advice and checked a couple of smaller dealers. After visiting Hendrick here in Charlotte and getting the run around...they would not budge off of MSRP or do any USAA discounts since they had no cars in stock. They said the car is selling it's self. Also they came short of what I was asking for my trade by 2k. Costco had a good price but it was in Chattanooga, Ten which is like 9hrs away. That also posed major logistical issues with pick-up and trade turn in etc. So I called BMW of Columbia, SC and chatted a bit. The next day I got a call and they met my asking of -5% MSRP but needed to appraise my trade. So the coming weekend I did the 1:15 drive down and after about an hr or so they offered me 1k more than Hendrick did and then said since i am buying there they covered that so they met my trade asking price.

Bam...the deal was done. They have allocation and my order went in the following Monday and will be doing a PCD. Unfortunately the week has gone by and they have not picked it up yet for a chassis number and build ETA.....

I hate waiting without an end date

So the motto is....give the little guy a shot, he might surprise you

Last edited by horsepower_and_hounds; 04-26-2014 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #58
math4scher
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quick history,
I took my wife's advice and checked a couple of smaller dealers. After visiting Hendrick here in Charlotte and getting the run around...they would not budge off of MSRP or do any USAA discounts since they had no cars in stock. They said the car is selling it's self. Also they came short of what I was asking for my trade by 2k. Costco had a good price but it was in Chattanooga, Ten which is like 9hrs away. That also posed major logistical issues with pick-up and trade turn in etc. So I called BMW of Columbia, SC and chatted a bit. The next day I got a call and they met my asking of -5% MSRP but needed to appraise my trade. So the coming weekend I did the 1:15 drive down and after about an hr or so they offered me 1k more than Hendrick did and then said since i am buying there they covered that so they met my trade asking price.

Bam...the deal was done. They have allocation and my order went in the following Monday. Unfortunately the week has gone by and they have not picked it up yet for a chassis number and build ETA.....

I hate waiting without an end date

ehagerty, great story/moral - it certainly pays to shop around a "little" Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #59
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
So I called BMW of Columbia, SC and chatted a bit. I hate waiting without an end date

All I got from this is that you are buying a BMW from a SC dealer and NOT doing performance center delivery?????? Disgusting. I live in California, but I would kill to have that opportunity, even if it was an extra month wait.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #60
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
All I got from this is that you are buying a BMW from a SC dealer and NOT doing performance center delivery?????? Disgusting. I live in California, but I would kill to have that opportunity, even if it was an extra month wait.
Whoops...I am doing a PDC
"edited"
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #61
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 09:57 AM   #62
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

I would mention you're a member of these forums and you see the average expectation is ~4% discount on a 2014, $2k off for 2015. Negotiate from there.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #63
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Also don't be afraid to shop around within a day's drive and call as many places as you can. It's always easier when you have something in hand to negotiate with. Get the best deal, then call around places closer to home and say "I want this car with these options. You need to beat this price. Best deal I get by end of day today gets my business."
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #64
math4scher
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Also don't be afraid to shop around within a day's drive and call as many places as you can. It's always easier when you have something in hand to negotiate with. Get the best deal, then call around places closer to home and say "I want this car with these options. You need to beat this price. Best deal I get by end of day today gets my business."
I just returned from a dealership so very frustrated. I had in hand a TrueCar Savings Certificate for $1075 from that dealership. Firstly I'm told thatz the car is too new and there are no discounts (he even knew that TrueCar is what brought me there). When he saw that I was not happy he said "what about $300" off (pause) or $500 off (pause) or "what would it take for you to buy the car" - and I refuse to play that game. Then I showed him the certificate and he went to talk to his sales manager and shortly returned with an offer of $500 off MSRP. I said something like " this is crazy - this is a certificate from your own dealership and you can't/won't even honor it.

So he gets another sense that I'm not happy and says I'll go talk to the sales manager again. He shortly returns with a new offer of $1000 off the MSRP. By now I'm so fed up with these games that I don't know if any amount off the MSRP would have made me happy - because I was not happy with how I was treated. Moreover, he pressured me several times in several ways to create the order right now...even though I constantly told him that I need to go home and discuss this with my wife who manages the money. I was so turned off by the experience there, like I alluded to before I don't think anything they could do for me now would matter - I would buy there just based on principles.

The suggestion above is awesome - I will just have to try it!

Thank you again for taking your valuable time to reply to my inquiry - your insights/suggestions/thoughts are always right on/very helpful!

P.S. Everyone on this forum is so very helpful - thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #65
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

It says you're in south Florida. John Weltzien in west palm beach is well regarded on the other forum. If not too far, it may be worth seeking him out.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 06:13 PM   #66
disco4me
First Lieutenant
Rep

You don't have to mention the dealer but what area of the country or state are you in. Forum members might be able to suggest a dealer they have had good dealings with. That dealer might have violated their terms with truecar...not sure.
Appreciate 0