THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning aFe Drop-in filter

07-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #1
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

aFe Drop-in filter

Hey All,

Anyone replace stock filter with High flowfilter yet in the M235i? My aFe pro dry is coming today and I'm looking to try it by myself, but I am not a handy person with doing my own installs, and a little nervous... but this is "drop-in" and I was wondering if there are any how-to guides I missed, or if anyone can help with some feedback.

Thanks for your time
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #2
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanm235i View Post
Hey All,

Anyone replace stock filter with High flowfilter yet in the M235i? My aFe pro dry is coming today and I'm looking to try it by myself, but I am not a handy person with doing my own installs, and a little nervous... but this is "drop-in" and I was wondering if there are any how-to guides I missed, or if anyone can help with some feedback.

Thanks for your time
Couldn't be an easier install. You have 4 clips holding the top of the airbox on, simply pull them away or use a flat screwdriver with tape on it to push away. I find they unclip with my hand. Lift up top of box, take out old filter, put new filter in as it only fits 1 way with the grooves on the edge and then clip top of box back down. You could probably get away with just unclipping the 2 rights clips and pulling up just enough on box lid to take out old and put in new filter, but that's up to you.

1 note I'd say is to be careful the clips don't come off completely and fall into the engine area as you won't find them if they do. I had one flip out and then just had dealer put on a new clip for free.
      07-13-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Nice I thought Id haveto unplug the maf sensor, but guess not
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 03:57 PM   #4
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372
Quote:
Hey All,

Thanks for your time
Couldn't be an easier install. You have 4 clips holding the top of the airbox on, simply pull them away or use a flat screwdriver with tape on it to push away. I find they unclip with my hand. Lift up top of box, take out old filter, put new filter in as it only fits 1 way with the grooves on the edge and then clip top of box back down. You could probably get away with just unclipping the 2 rights clips and pulling up just enough on box lid to take out old and put in new filter, but that's up to you.

1 note I'd say is to be careful the clips don't come off completely and fall into the engine area as you won't find them if they do. I had one flip out and then just had dealer put on a new clip for free.
How can the clips falls into the engine bay if they don't completely come off? I'm noticing the bottom of the clip doesn't detach from the filter box. Are these attached permanently where I can let hem hang there while I pull the top off?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 04:49 PM   #5
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How can the clips falls into the engine bay if they don't completely come off? I'm noticing the bottom of the clip doesn't detach from the filter box. Are these attached permanently where I can let hem hang there while I pull the top off?
The clips can in fact come off the bottom of the box. They are meant to hang, but maybe one of my was bad or bent, but when I unclipped it, it came completely off as it was very loose. Just have to go slow, it was just me doing a quick job and not being careful, I wouldn't worry about it as I think I maybe had a bad clip or something as the others don't come off unless you force them.
      07-13-2016, 05:15 PM   #6
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The clips can in fact come off the bottom of the box. They are meant to hang, but maybe one of my was bad or bent, but when I unclipped it, it came completely off as it was very loose. Just have to go slow, it was just me doing a quick job and not being careful, I wouldn't worry about it as I think I maybe had a bad clip or something as the others don't come off unless you force them.
Installed! One clip fell off at the last second but I got it. . Easiest install for anyone. if I can do it, anyone can.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 05:26 PM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Any difference on the road?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 06:32 PM   #8
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Any difference on the road?
I didn't take the car out tonight as tempted as I was. I had something to take care of. But I will tomorrow and definitely post some feedback on the sound changes, throttle, and power changes. I'd be shocked just to "hear" a difference if any change at all
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 02:10 PM   #9
wakeofdeath
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: X6M

Once you do this, you will start getting the hang of things.
We were all there once
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 06:01 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Let us know what you think of the product once you have time to drive the car

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 07:29 AM   #11
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Install:
So, Installation definitely was simple. ANYONE can do this as I am extremely knowledgeable about cars in general, but when it comes to installing things, I'd rather pay knowing the job is getting done by a professional. This was my first DIY ever. Like most have said before, There are 4 clips linked to the air filter box. Un-clip all 4. They will supposedly hang and most do, but def be careful because one of mine fell off and luckily landed on a spot where I could grab it. The top of the intake lifts up about 4-5 inches. Just grab the yellow nasty one out and put in the new one. The intake only goes one way as mentioned before. Re-align the top to the bottom. The top of the intake box has two corners toward the drivers side that have different edges. Just make sure to keep an eye on them making sure there outward around the bottom. You'll see what I mean. Very simple Clip up cleanly and its done. Start-up, and no check engine lights! I was very impressed with my skill-work

Driving:
A couple things I am checking here. You can hear the differences of the Pro Dry S slightly over the stock filter. By :hear the differences:, You can hear a slighter louder spool and a slightly louder blow off depending on how you accelerate on the pedal. There were some moments I couldn't tell a difference at all, and sometimes I could definitely hear the difference and it put a smile on my face.

Now, the "But" :
But now, I also here a hissing noise while driving around, like a leaky air sound, nothing that sounds like a turbo noise as it occurs during soft acceleration too. I'm wondering if I was just being OCD with it and really looking for sound in any manner and heard this. So I popped the hood this morning and notice something small around the intake box and don't know if it could be the issue yet as I am going to do more testing. The Pro Dry S has a thick rubber edge against the closing of the intake box comapred to the smaller edge of the stock. When I look at the clips when its closed, the clips close tight but there seems to be a slight gap from where the top of the box connects with the bottom of the box. When you clip it shut, it looks like there is a slight gap going across possibly not completing a seal in the box.

Maybe that is making the noise? I don't know yet. So I just put the factory one back in, and the gap is definitely smaller to non-existent with the stock one. I'm going to go take it for a drive and get some more feedback for everyone.

Again, I just may be going paranoid because it's my first installation on something like this and don't have the expertise to check things like most do. I just want to make sure the car is safe and reliable to drive with some added exciting sounds

Thanks,
More to come !
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2016, 09:44 AM   #12
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep

I have this drop-in and don't have any hissing noise and no gap in box. I do not notice any sound difference, but then I have a hi-flo downpipe and this creates more exhaust noise, so maybe that overwhelms any minor intake noise.
      07-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #13
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have this drop-in and don't have any hissing noise and no gap in box. I do not notice any sound difference, but then I have a hi-flo downpipe and this creates more exhaust noise, so maybe that overwhelms any minor intake noise.
I'll try to take some pics of the gap I'm talking about. Again, might be nothing at all. I'd rather some one check it and see.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #14
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Ryan,

sounds like you have seated the drop-in airfilter properly either into the lower airbox or airbox lid - should not be any gap.

BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 11:09 AM   #15
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee
Ryan,

sounds like you have seated the drop-in airfilter properly either into the lower airbox or airbox lid - should not be any gap.

BP
The gap was very small BP. Like maybe 1/10 of an inch. Nothing huge. But it was enough to catch my eye.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 09:40 PM   #16
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

I noticed the clips are much tighter with the Pro dry S too.... and got a P00BD code at the track... put the stock one back in cause i happened to take it and the code went away...

I will double check the seating position again and re try...
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2016, 10:31 PM   #17
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
I noticed the clips are much tighter with the Pro dry S too.... and got a P00BD code at the track... put the stock one back in cause i happened to take it and the code went away...

I will double check the seating position again and re try...
Thanks for posting. This makes me feel much better about my observation. What does that code mean?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 11:00 PM   #18
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Thanks for posting. This makes me feel much better about my observation. What does that code mean?
Mass or Volume Air Flow "A" Circuit Range/Performance - Air Flow Too High
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 12:37 PM   #19
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
Quote:
Mass or Volume Air Flow "A" Circuit Range/Performance - Air Flow Too High
Maybe that filter is just super-like sucking ridiculous amounts of air
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #20
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Yeah too much air is bad. I had an intake and got the same code. I ended up removing it, then installing jb4, then putting the intake back in. Then I unplugged the maf and all the issues went away.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 02:05 PM   #21
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125
Quote:
Yeah too much air is bad. I had an intake and got the same code. I ended up removing it, then installing jb4, then putting the intake back in. Then I unplugged the maf and all the issues went away.
Which intake?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #22
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Injen. From what I have compiled it's kinda much of the draw wether you throw a code or not . For me the intake sounded awesome but was giving me rough idle issues , a cel, and bogging at a low rpm.

I have the intake back in now and running maf delete tr e and I have had no issues since.
Appreciate 0