THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Strong oil smell from previous spill or vacuum line breakage?

10-11-2018, 01:40 AM   #1
maolicious
Registered
Rep
Drives: m235i

Exclamation Strong oil smell from previous spill or vacuum line breakage?

Hi, I bought my 2014 m235i for little over a month used and the oil filter o ring was leaking and oil leaked from front to bottom of the car. I got it fixed but it somehow broke where the vacuum line connects the intake (on the intake). Now my concern is that I have a really strong oil smell inside the car and when I open up the hood. Could it be from the oil spill and will it just be cleared soon? Or is it from the intake not being connected through the vacuum line? I ordered an Injen intake and will install it soon. Will that fix the issue? It's making me sick driving.

PS: I got it at a ford dealership, they said they aren't responsible but clearly they used non-oem parts and it was their fault for the leak. I got it fixed for roughly $350 at a bmw dealership, is there anyway for ford to pay for it? I'm new here, thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 06:43 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

The Ford dealership did an oil change on the car ? How do you know this ? Did Ford leave an extra O-ring on the oil filter cap when they did the oil change ?

Did the BMW dealership clean the engine bay of the oil spill ? Is that where the $350 charge came from ?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
maolicious
Registered
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
The Ford dealership did an oil change on the car ? How do you know this ? Did Ford leave an extra O-ring on the oil filter cap when they did the oil change ?

Did the BMW dealership clean the engine bay of the oil spill ? Is that where the $350 charge came from ?
The bmw advisor said the ford dealership here never use oem, and there were previous cases when bmw was brought in for the same issue that were purchased from ford. Would ford have records if they actually changed the oil ring during inspection? Aren’t they required to inspect it before sale.
The 350 included oil ring, oil change, and clean up. They did wash everything. The advisor said the smell could be from the spill but it’s pretty strong and is still there. Could it be from my intake not being connected?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I don't know where the vacuum line is disconnected, I really don't know these engines well - an emission style recirculate or breather from the block if disconnected could send an oily odor into the engine compartment and into the cabin. But I didn't think new engines like in these BMW's sent oil back through the intake to be combusted.

Depending on method used to clean the oil spill, a layer of oily residue around the exhaust manifold or turbo could burn off and leave an odor, I would think it would burn off after a short time.

Last edited by overcoil; 10-11-2018 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0