THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Feeling done with my M240.

03-29-2021, 08:33 PM   #23
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantTea View Post
This is my experience with my car in my area in my situation. I personally think the M240i is the best every-day performance car that has been made this decade.
It seems you are due for a change and whatever you will choose may suit your needs. I don't think there is a lot of practical and performance coupes on the market and this is the reason I opted for the M240i....... just the right size.

I came from a JCW Coupe I liked very much and it was also very unusual. I believe my only other option would have been an Audi TT but I don't know if they still produce them.
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.

Last edited by Nickies; 03-29-2021 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 07:38 AM   #24
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickies View Post
I came from a JCW Coupe I liked very much and it was also very unusual. I believe my only other option would have been an Audi TT but I don't know if they still produce them.
Ironically I was shopping for a JCW because driving my GFs base mini around the city is an absolute joy. But when I actually drove one I was unhappy with too much about it. I considered the GP but that's a whole new case of problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 09:41 AM   #25
HogFan760
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 m240I

Quote:
Ironically I was shopping for a JCW because driving my GFs base mini around the city is an absolute joy. But when I actually drove one I was unhappy with too much about it. I considered the GP but that's a whole new case of problems.
Yup. I was thinking a JCW MINI before I got my m240 as well. For me, the biggest problem was that I HATE how the F MINIs look. I loved my R56 but hated the looks of the new one. They are crazy fun to drive around town though. But they are terrible at road trips. They are loud and the ride is too firm and the steering is too darty.

it's funny how you think you might want something until you test drive it. If you can, get an extended or even overnight test drive. I think perhaps you're going to need to sit down and figure out what kind of vehicle you want. Luxury or sporty and then go from there.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 04:43 PM   #26
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Sounds like you need something really flashy and loud that can't be mistaken for a Corolla, like a Vette or a Challenger. Some of us find the 2 to be superior in all regards that matter, but if you don't, sell her to someone who will.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2021, 05:05 PM   #27
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
I want something special. Either great luxury, great performance or great looks.
My 2˘:

1) For an affordable luxury car, I'd look at the Mercedes E450 with the air suspension.

2) I like BMWs. The M5 is what I'd consider first, with the M850i a close second.

3) That one's totally personal. I prefer my cars to blend in and so have nothing to offer.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 05:49 PM   #28
zstokes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogFan760 View Post
Yup. I was thinking a JCW MINI before I got my m240 as well. For me, the biggest problem was that I HATE how the F MINIs look. I loved my R56 but hated the looks of the new one. They are crazy fun to drive around town though. But they are terrible at road trips. They are loud and the ride is too firm and the steering is too darty.

it's funny how you think you might want something until you test drive it. If you can, get an extended or even overnight test drive. I think perhaps you're going to need to sit down and figure out what kind of vehicle you want. Luxury or sporty and then go from there.
I thought I'd just leave this here.

https://www.supercoopers.com/
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 03:20 PM   #29
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep

Ok I have this figured out. I'm keeping the M240i because it is fast and lovely and honestly it's paid off. To cure my city and puddlejumping woes I'm going to buy a Forester Sport... which I love because I'm kind of stupid. Then I'll have a reliable adventure car I'm going to mod my M240i xdrive until it's exactly the way I want it to be.

I found a company that makes fully adjustable LCAs for xdrive cars so I might be able to get my steering right. I'll start there and then wheels and tires and then just slide down the vortex of reasonable mod shame all the while happily driving around in a forester 90% of the time saving the BMW for when it matters.

I have spoken. I am not done with my M240i.
Appreciate 2
MA12888.50
      04-02-2021, 04:30 PM   #30
Finn Germai-Yaz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So you're basically getting a SUV camry. I was going to come in here and suggest buying a motorcycle.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 06:11 PM   #31
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawfoo View Post
So you're basically getting a SUV camry. I was going to come in here and suggest buying a motorcycle.
Dude, everyone needs a forester.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 07:20 PM   #32
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

The M240 will continue to be a sleeper... Gladly for some, and unloved by others. I bought it for it's upside, the B58 and knowing I could match the M2 with a little investment. It's a great little coupe, and I drive it like I stole it regularly, although not enough! 1.5 years and only 4k miles so far mostly Covid related. But I get more pissed about the bugs sticking to the thing splattering on it at 100mph and how hard they're to get off, than any complaints I have for the car. I researched it thoroughly prior to purchase and knew exactly what I was getting! Does BMW suck with their proprietary lock down on even the audio amp in regard to control modules, and the inability to change things! Yes... That sucks, but it doesn't mean you can't fix it. It all just depends upon your tolerance for effort and pain. Seemingly, many a BMW owner consider "they" mod their car when they bring it to someone else, and they do something to it! They don't do the modding themselves, and therefore don't really reap the rewards of fulfillment and enjoyment from what they've accomplished. Again, the M240 is an awesome little sled, I love it, and if you want to give yours away I'm sure they'll be people willing to take it from you. Lol

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 07:28 PM   #33
damianbmw12
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M240xi & 2004 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
Been reading these forums for 2 years, surprised more folks dont replace the upper thrush arm bushings to Powerflex. Not sure its a game changer but a nice difference in steering and feel.

Its not my favorite mod, but I can't imagine not switching out those mushy bushings.

(sorry seems like folks complain a lot about)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
Been reading these forums for 2 years, surprised more folks dont replace the upper thrush arm bushings to Powerflex. Not sure its a game changer but a nice difference in steering and feel.

Its not my favorite mod, but I can't imagine not switching out those mushy bushings.

(sorry seems like folks complain a lot about)
Can this be done on the XI as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 07:37 PM   #34
zstokes
Private
Rep

Today on the freeway I found myself in a lane between a semi and a large panel truck.

For less than a second. I don’t need mods for that, it was pretty neat.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 12:13 AM   #35
SkyeC
Too many cars, not enough time
Rep
Drives: 17 m240i

Hmm... I wouldn't put it anywhere near a Camry, but that's all subjective. I daily drive an 09 Civic or take my wife's 4Runner for most things so when I hop in the M240 on the weekends, it's a blast.

I've had a ton of cars, some faster/slower, older/newer, and this car really does feel like a modern day E36 M3 to me. I had one of those, and let's not kid ourselves, buying one today means about $5000 in maintenance and welding at the least. Find one fully sorted and you're down for $15k easy... and it probably has 150k miles. E46 M3? $20-25k... I found the $30k I paid for my M240 to be a good purchase in that price bracket for new or used cars.

M2 Comps are still $50-60k around here, and I wasn't at all interested in an N55-equipped M2.
      04-04-2021, 12:28 AM   #36
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

Sort of agree with you there. I miss my ZHP. Definitely not the fastest car even back then, but heavy suspension modifications made it very fun and agile - even on short trips where some fun can be had with at any corner.

Although - at 26MPG, that tells me you're mostly on Comfort or Eco mode. Sport+ would at least make things slightly more interesting for you. If you're stock then it makes sense; you'd need to modify it performance-wise to your liking and then gauge it. If you want something that'd blow your mind stock/as-is, then perhaps a Cayman S with PDK or something.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 03:48 PM   #37
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Yeah, I've spent some cash making my M235 handle better, that is for sure. But the wheels were only $600, springs $300, and the LSD $2500 installed. The tires I don't consider a mod as the OEM MPSS tires were worn out and I replaced with the MP4S tires, which are an improvement of an already great tire.

I'm assuming you're on a square 225 setup. If so, that's WAY too little tire for a 3,650lb+ car. 245s will fit the Xdrive assuming you do 18x8 with a 43et offset and MP4S tires. I have nearly 10mm clearance of the shock assembly which is typically the rub point. The Dinan springs will work in the back of the M240 too. There's nothing different. I not running the Dinan springs in the front. The 245 MP4S tires are nearly 1.5" wider than the 225 Michelin Pilot Sport all season 4 tires. That's significant.

I believe Diffs Online does make an LSD that can be swapped into the xdrive. You're looking at over $3K in costs to buy and install though.

I'll never drive stock so when buying cars, I always consider the mod potential and how much it's going to cost me to fix the ills of the car and make it my own. I knew the M235 was a very good performance coupe, but also knew it wasn't perfect. I also knew that with some simple mods, I could make it into a very good performance coupe for street driving and limited track use. It's cost me nearly $9,000 in mods to get the car to handle, accelerate, sound (both exhaust and stereo) and look the way I wanted it to (inside and out). All my mods were bought new except for my Dinantronics Stage 2 piggyback. I also bought expensive stuff like an HJS catted DP ($1500), MPE ($800), and Wagner IC ($600). That's a lot of freaking money, but the car handles as good as an M2 and is about as fast as a stock F80 M3/M4. I could have spent about half as much to get the same handling and performance, but I like looks and quality parts too.

People complain about the steering in these cars and I get it, but I rent tons of cars for work and find my M235, even when running the 225 width tires up front, to have very good steering feel compared to other electric steering boxes. I know exactly what the front end and tires are doing both by feel in the wheel, sound, and movement. The days of hydraulic steering feel are long gone, unfortunately.

You'll undoubtedly spend more on a replacement car looking to fill that void. If you like the M240 and think it's good, mods can make it great. BMW clearly neutered this car to keep it from being better than the M2.

Spoken for truth. When I buy my next car in a couple years, I’ll have $12k budgeted for mods. I couldn’t imagine going back to stock right now on the 240i. From wheels to suspension to power mods to carbon/alcantara interior to exterior mods, it took some money, but I’m happy.
      04-06-2021, 02:22 PM   #38
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep

I'm keeping the car guys. It wasn't until I freed myself from needing to make sure I could drive it every single day did the light shine on it. Now I can fuss around with everything and not worry about it. Plus the new car can pick up parts and ferry around wheels and such. A Stage 2 BM3 tune, full exhaust, suspension and wheels/tires wasn't something I wanted to chance to my daily driver.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2021, 04:14 PM   #39
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm keeping the car guys.
I think this makes the most sense – glad to hear you'll remain in the fold with the rest of us 2 addicts.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 05:45 PM   #40
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

If you bought the 2 series expecting the "BMW Luxury" experience, then you likely have a case of mismanaged expectations.

The minimal interior options/upgrade/choices alone would dictate that this isn't targeting the luxury buyer nor is it comparable to some of their other cars (even the 3 series has more choices..)

IMO, and thats a big IMO, the 2 series was sold to a demographic of us who want more of the driving focused car that BMW lost in the 3 series.

For that reason, the lower price point allows suspension upgrades to "correct" the steering and other items.

Beyond that..the stereo sucks..no doubt about it. couple hundred bucks in Eton speakers will get you a lot further where average listening is concerned. It still didnt come close to the stock sound system in my silverado (which sounded GREAT and was LOUD) but its good enough.

past that..I feel like these posts more often come from people who drive the car stock.

a whole world of engine tunes exists for these cars and theyre ideal for tuning. Try one. if you dont like it, sell the car. The used market is a seller's market right now.

I just installed VMR V801's on mine and MP4S...and have spent all week since driving in Sport +...averaging some stupid low amount of miles per gallon, but grinning every time I floor it. Thats on an OTS MHD E40 tune..and Ive enjoyed upgrading the car as well.

100% worth it and the only replacements I could see for this in the future would be:

A. Porsche
B. the future S58 M2 (likely the one I will end up with).
Appreciate 3
      04-06-2021, 06:58 PM   #41
Nick_K
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 230i MSport Manual

It's early days but I am loving my 230i MSport. With the Michelin PSS non-runflat tires the ride is reasonable on the highway and it sticks like glue, and the manual transmission is very nice. More than fast for spirited back road driving. But what I really like is the tossable, friendly nature of the car. The 240xi I originally drove did not have it -- brutally fast, heavy, not particularly......friendly.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 03:07 PM   #42
OpusTpa
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

Grew up in Western PA with great roads to drive then moved to DC then Miami then Tampa. It did kill the joy of driving in many ways. I recently picked up a 2018 M240 Convertible and love it. The top down alone is enough to make me enjoy a ride, the burble from sports mode is fun and the instant on power is great. I try to make my fun as sanely as possible. On-ramps!

Quote:
This is my experience with my car in my area in my situation. I personally think the M240i is the best every-day performance car that has been made this decade.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 08:43 AM   #43
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Good to hear your keeping it.

Being a car nut, I too go through this about once a month. I see some cool car on the road, and I immediately come home a research how I can afford to get into one. I build a case reminding myself of all the things that bug me about my current car. Then a few things hit me.

- I can't really afford to trade cars every year. Tax and reg is not cheap in Cali.
- I am not sure I even have the balls to ask my wife to trade my "dream car" within a year of selling the last "dream car" that I got rid off after 6 months.
- I want an M3 SO badly. But as badly as I do, all I have to do is head to the M3 forums to remind myself of the upkeep of models 2001 and later. Rod nearing, frame issues, V8 time bombs, crank hubs, etc. (I can handle bad camber and "vague" steering all day comparatively...)

-Lastly, and probably most important, I really do love this car. Its not perfect, but pretty darn close for me. Its stupid fast, handles plenty fine for a DD/street driven car, and is frankly a beautiful car. I still turn and look at it a few times every time I drive it.

In late May 2022 my CPO runs out. At this point the only other car I see myself getting is an M2. My next big dream is Porsche, but I have some time still to enjoy what BMW has to offer.

looking forward to seeing how the modding goes!

josh
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2021, 09:00 AM   #44
zstokes
Private
Rep

Just before I bought my 240i, I was in on an 08 Cayman base on BaT. It was pretty close to unicorn for me. Ruby Red, beautifully optioned and two tone black and stone grey interior. 24k miles.

I had a 2012 Ford Focus that I bought new back then for commuting, and the Porsche was going to be a fun car. Straight away, the PPI was perfect except it needed all 4 rotors and pads - down to the sensors. So a $1600 bill immediately.

I was pleased with myself when I stuck to my top price and let it go when it sailed passed that limit, knowing I likely won’t see another one like this for quite some time if ever.

The point? I replaced the Ford with the 240i and I could not be happier. Will I put a cayman next to it someday? I hope so, but part of the fun is the chase and now I have a wonderful grocery getter in the interim. The new digital cockpits in BMWs are a big turnoff to me, and so I likely will drive the 240i for a long time.
Appreciate 2
spidy512491.50