THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Feeling done with my M240.

03-29-2021, 07:20 AM   #1
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Oops

Feeling done with my M240.

Maybe it's because of how little driving I've been doing this year but I'm finding myself taking my M240 less and less often when I go anywhere. It's faster than 99.8% of whatever is on the street around here. It looks great. It drives just fine. I have had no problems with it other than water in a rear taillight after washing (and minor tire bubbles from Cincinnati streets).

But... with 100% of my driving being short jaunts around the City it feels less and less appropriate. I used to live out in backroads territory where at least the opportunity to give it the beans existed. Living close to the city has eliminated all fun.

So what is left is a heavy, tire damage prone, mediocre stereo, low-end luxury coupe that gets 26mpg. After just two years of ownership it feels as invisible as a Toyota Camry.

I want something special. Either great luxury, great performance or great looks. I seem to keep buying the "best all-around" which means it's mediocre in all of those corners of the special-triangle.

And I still hate my steering with a passion. I don't know guys... I think I might just be done with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 07:49 AM   #2
HogFan760
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 m240I

OP, interesting take. I had a ‘19 Corvette GS before my m240. I got rid of it for the same reason you are talking about with the bimmer. I only had it 1 year. It was too much of everything for my short little jaunts around town. I live in a small town and since the engine was so big, it took forever to warm up. I ended up driving my RDX more than the vette because it was easier.

As for the m240. The steering isn’t nearly as good as the Corvette. It does feel a bit disconnected and artificial, but for a daily and for my short trips around town, I really like this car a lot. I had a Miata before the m240. If you’re looking for driving feel, get one of those. It was a hoot to drive. Not very fast but it felt fast. Steering was direct and the shifter was awesome (once warmed up). I hated the shifter in the Corvette. The 7 speeds and the shift pattern always made me missing shifts. Going from 7 to anything lower was always hit or miss. 2nd gear was always tough to get into until the transmission was warmed up. Seems as though other manual owners had the same problems.

The MPSS tires sucked in anything but warm hot weather. Partial throttle was the norm most days not late spring to summer. Everything felt amplified in the corvette and simply driving it on the street was no fun for me.

I guess it depends on what you’re looking for. We have a Mercedes e450 Cabriolet as well. It’s a great luxury car but it hates to be hustled around. The steering feels equally digital with little actual feel. But cruising around in it is so serene. We did a 4K mile road trip in in December and it was amazing and felt special.

All of that said, if you don’t feel connected to the m240, then get something else. I’m just making a cautionary tale about extremes. I go through cars fast. Since 2013, I’m on my 5th daily. If you count all of the cars in my 3 car stable, my husband and I have gone through 11 cars in that time frame. So I’m not one to judge about moving on because you’re not feeling it, LOL. By the way, right now I’m quite happy with our 3 car lineup and think we’ll keep it that way for at least the next couple of years. (That is unless the hubby gets a hankering for an AMG GT or an SL. He also mentioned the new Audi e-Tron GT last night. So who knows?).
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2021, 08:18 AM   #3
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I hear you, OP - short drives is the norm for me as well, but our streets and roads are decent. For many of the really short trips, the wife's 228i M-Sport convertible works well, but my F80 M3 is pretty intoxicating. I make it a point to take the F80 on at least a 30-mile round trip once a week that includes some 70-mph speed-limit Interstate extension, some back roads, and some State highways. The two cars are a world of difference apart, but any time I'm going more than 5-10 miles away from the house, the M3 gets the nod. I'd avoid the new G8x M-cars and the G22 4-series, though - still too early in the game and really ugly. The G20 M340i might be a good in-between choice, as it has improved steering, a not-too-firm ride, and almost 400 hp bone stock.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2021, 09:39 AM   #4
silver_mcoupe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240

Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

I usually grab the miata for short trips - but I still enjoy the baby M (except the 6MT). No its not as connected, but its way more comfortable, powerful and I really like the B58. I'm still learning with it (~2700 miles in 15 months). But I get you on the drama - my old F80 M3 had it in spades, but I wasnt enamoured with how it was put together for a $85k car. I can see an M2 or a P-car alongside the Miata at some point....
      03-29-2021, 09:46 AM   #5
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

I'm not sure Miata is the answer for OP when he says he wants something very unique.

Maybe a Cayman or a Boxster?
      03-29-2021, 10:12 AM   #6
Steenos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2021 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [0.00]
I feel the same way as OP to a certain extent. The steering is absolutely the worst part about the car. The power and the every day driver aspect is pretty good. But like you said there's just nothing really "special" about it. I even ordered my car specifically with a manual. Pretty crazy to say I'm not really that happy with the car after only a few months.

For the money you can get a lot more power and a lot more car. I just thought the m240 would be a great compromise from the m2 comp prices and only .2 0-60 slower. I drove an m2 comp and had the same steering feel issues, obviously because of the electronic steering.

It just doesn't have the feel either. And anyone who has driven older bmw m cars or any older bmw knows what i'm talking about.
      03-29-2021, 10:36 AM   #7
HogFan760
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenos View Post
I feel the same way as OP to a certain extent. The steering is absolutely the worst part about the car.
It just doesn't have the feel either. And anyone who has driven older bmw m cars or any older bmw knows what i'm talking about.
I'm with you on this. Our e93 had much better steering and it just felt more connected. The m240's steering feels not connected at all. But it doesn't bother me, especially for a daily driver. For me, it excels. If you want more feedback, cheaper, more power, get a Mustang GT. It has all of that in spades but you give up some on the luxury, NVH side of the scale. The Mustang GT is a hoot and a half to drive but it's not for me.

I've had mine for a couple of months now and I'm really enjoying it. But to each their own!
Appreciate 2
ESB1019.00
      03-29-2021, 11:14 AM   #8
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep

To set the mood here my puddle jumper is a 2008 Yaris. I will take it 95% of the time for any trip under 5 miles. I only get the M240 out when I can drive at least 15 minutes.

I have toyed with the idea of getting a new puddle jumper like a forester sport and then modding the living crap out of my BMW but I know that with xdrive it's probably just a matter of time before the weak link in the center goes kapow. I feel like all modding would do is make me dislike it for sinking my money into it and then also make it less desirable for resale. I don't know... I did find something that might help with the steering but I have to wonder who these people think they are charging this much for LCAs.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...-control-arms/
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 11:27 AM   #9
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantTea View Post
But... with 100% of my driving being short jaunts around the City it feels less and less appropriate. I used to live out in backroads territory where at least the opportunity to give it the beans existed. Living close to the city has eliminated all fun.
I live in Kansas City metro and there's traffic so not a lot of opportunity and let it rip. I take my car out on late night drives. I love doing that.

Quote:
So what is left is a heavy, tire damage prone, mediocre stereo, low-end luxury coupe that gets 26mpg. After just two years of ownership it feels as invisible as a Toyota Camry.
Unfortunately you've got xdrive so it is heavy, takes away some of the excellent dynamics of the chassis, and can't do an LSD.

Assuming you have the HK stereo, fixing the sound quality is pretty easy with a few hundred dollars in rear and a center speaker.

Regarding the tires, perhaps it's the tires you're running? Runflats by chance? Those things blow out A LOT. My roads in Kansas City are potholed, heaved, and generally rough thanks to the winters and shrink/swell due to all the clayey soils. I've never had an issue with a tire in over 5 years of ownership. I've run summer tires, all season performance, and winter performance.

Quote:
I want something special. Either great luxury, great performance or great looks. I seem to keep buying the "best all-around" which means it's mediocre in all of those corners of the special-triangle.
The M235/M240 can be a great performance car with the right mods and drivetrain. Power is easy. Sky's the limit. Suspension wise, all it took for my M235 rwd was an LSD, 245/35R18 summer tire square setup, and Dinan springs in the back. The difference is massive.

Looks are easy to improve on with just wheels and the correct offset, and a well well chosen exterior mods.

"Luxury" is a hard one to improve on with these cars, but a M235/240 is still pretty dang nice amenities wise.

Quote:
And I still hate my steering with a passion. I don't know guys... I think I might just be done with it.
I have no issues with steering when I'm running my 245/35R18 summer tire square setup. With my 225/245 winter setup, I'm not a huge fan. Even with the very grippy Michelin Pilot Sport all season 4 tires, the narrower 225 in the front kills front end grip, feel, and makes the steering too light.

I do feel your pain. It's very hard to find a car that checks all the boxes that you're looking for. Perhaps the better car would be F80 M4? That might check all the boxes. The only real concern with that car is the crank hub. I wouldn't own one until that issue was addressed with a crank hub fix. Depending on which fix you go with, you could be looking at $2,500.
      03-29-2021, 11:57 AM   #10
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Wow. The OP compares his ownership experience to a Toyota Camry. No greater insult could he hurl (except maybe to compare it to a Prius). I will second the Miata suggestion. When I had my NA Miata, even short trips to the store were fun. You could experience at-the-limit handling on any cloverleaf. It was a hoot all the time. I surely miss that car.

Last edited by leftoverture; 03-29-2021 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2021, 12:05 PM   #11
airjesse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Vw GOLF

Not the thread I wanted to see after picking up a M240i 😢
      03-29-2021, 12:16 PM   #12
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjesse View Post
Don't let someone else's experience/opinion affect you. Your experience may vary. Obviously you liked it well enough to put down the money to buy it! Everyone's situation and expectations are different.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 01:12 PM   #13
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
This is my experience with my car in my area in my situation. I personally think the M240i is the best every-day performance car that has been made this decade.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 01:17 PM   #14
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Unfortunately you've got xdrive so it is heavy, takes away some of the excellent dynamics of the chassis, and can't do an LSD.

Assuming you have the HK stereo, fixing the sound quality is pretty easy with a few hundred dollars in rear and a center speaker.

Regarding the tires, perhaps it's the tires you're running? Runflats by chance? Those things blow out A LOT. My roads in Kansas City are potholed, heaved, and generally rough thanks to the winters and shrink/swell due to all the clayey soils. I've never had an issue with a tire in over 5 years of ownership. I've run summer tires, all season performance, and winter performance.

The M235/M240 can be a great performance car with the right mods and drivetrain. Power is easy. Sky's the limit. Suspension wise, all it took for my M235 rwd was an LSD, 245/35R18 summer tire square setup, and Dinan springs in the back. The difference is massive.

Looks are easy to improve on with just wheels and the correct offset, and a well well chosen exterior mods.

"Luxury" is a hard one to improve on with these cars, but a M235/240 is still pretty dang nice amenities wise.

I have no issues with steering when I'm running my 245/35R18 summer tire square setup. With my 225/245 winter setup, I'm not a huge fan. Even with the very grippy Michelin Pilot Sport all season 4 tires, the narrower 225 in the front kills front end grip, feel, and makes the steering too light.
You've really hit the nail on the head here. The car is great except for ALL THESE THINGS that you have to fix.

That's the dig right? Spend another $10k to make a 2019 BMW slightly better... sure I can do that. But no mods will change the area I live in or situations I drive the car in. BTW I run AS3+ tires in stock sizes. I would love to go wider but it's a crap shoot on fitment for 245s and xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 01:48 PM   #15
MLJR235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235I

You should drive what you feel makes you the happiest. I am sure there are people that come from a beater civic and feel the 240 as the best thing since sliced bread. Anyway, you sound like you have your mind made up that the 240 just isn't vibing with you & there is NOTHING wrong with that.. Don't ever drive anything you don't feel great about unless you absolutely have to, which is a different situation altogether.

Let us know what you decide on as your next ride
      03-29-2021, 01:53 PM   #16
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
You've really hit the nail on the head here. The car is great except for ALL THESE THINGS that you have to fix.

That's the dig right? Spend another $10k to make a 2019 BMW slightly better... sure I can do that. But no mods will change the area I live in or situations I drive the car in. BTW I run AS3+ tires in stock sizes. I would love to go wider but it's a crap shoot on fitment for 245s and xdrive.
Yeah, I've spent some cash making my M235 handle better, that is for sure. But the wheels were only $600, springs $300, and the LSD $2500 installed. The tires I don't consider a mod as the OEM MPSS tires were worn out and I replaced with the MP4S tires, which are an improvement of an already great tire.

I'm assuming you're on a square 225 setup. If so, that's WAY too little tire for a 3,650lb+ car. 245s will fit the Xdrive assuming you do 18x8 with a 43et offset and MP4S tires. I have nearly 10mm clearance of the shock assembly which is typically the rub point. The Dinan springs will work in the back of the M240 too. There's nothing different. I not running the Dinan springs in the front. The 245 MP4S tires are nearly 1.5" wider than the 225 Michelin Pilot Sport all season 4 tires. That's significant.

I believe Diffs Online does make an LSD that can be swapped into the xdrive. You're looking at over $3K in costs to buy and install though.

I'll never drive stock so when buying cars, I always consider the mod potential and how much it's going to cost me to fix the ills of the car and make it my own. I knew the M235 was a very good performance coupe, but also knew it wasn't perfect. I also knew that with some simple mods, I could make it into a very good performance coupe for street driving and limited track use. It's cost me nearly $9,000 in mods to get the car to handle, accelerate, sound (both exhaust and stereo) and look the way I wanted it to (inside and out). All my mods were bought new except for my Dinantronics Stage 2 piggyback. I also bought expensive stuff like an HJS catted DP ($1500), MPE ($800), and Wagner IC ($600). That's a lot of freaking money, but the car handles as good as an M2 and is about as fast as a stock F80 M3/M4. I could have spent about half as much to get the same handling and performance, but I like looks and quality parts too.

People complain about the steering in these cars and I get it, but I rent tons of cars for work and find my M235, even when running the 225 width tires up front, to have very good steering feel compared to other electric steering boxes. I know exactly what the front end and tires are doing both by feel in the wheel, sound, and movement. The days of hydraulic steering feel are long gone, unfortunately.

You'll undoubtedly spend more on a replacement car looking to fill that void. If you like the M240 and think it's good, mods can make it great. BMW clearly neutered this car to keep it from being better than the M2.
dradernh4370.00
Heitzer103.00
cooolone2625.00
      03-29-2021, 03:06 PM   #17
HogFan760
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yep. Everyone's experience will vary. The car may suit you just fine. Just as I didn't like the Corvette, others love theirs. Cars are so personal

Quote:

That's the dig right?
You sound like you're done with it and just need some reassurance. If it's not to your liking, get rid of it. No need to spend money to see if you'll like it more, especially if you aren't into that kind of thing. That's the rub for me as well. Sometimes people say to mod this, change that, blah blah blah to make something better. But what if you spend all that cash to change it and you still don't like it? Then you're just out money.

For me modding is because I want to and because I like the car. The moment I think that modding something is going to make me like the car more is the moment I know that I need something else. I mod because I want to and because I like to. I'm changing the springs because I like the look of the car a little lower. I could care less about whether it'll make me corner faster (as long as it's not worse).

For grins, I just drove the car for some errands and put it in sport mode. I like it better in sport mode with the "harder" steering and faster throttle response and the comfort setting suspension. I'll have to drive it longer for better impressions. Anyway, get rid of it. Resale values are high right now so take advantage of that. I see absolutely no need to keep a car if you're not into it. Life's too short for that.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 03:33 PM   #18
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I mean i live in the city and have boring roads and few drives and while im starting to get over the M240 after 3.5 years with it i find myself looking at something a little more... exotic rather than cheaper/comfortable.

Ive been eye balling Cayman GT4's and the like. Cant help but feel a more fun car might make me feel more special when taking it out for a spin. Probably not, but it'd still put a smile on my face from time to time for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 05:06 PM   #19
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

I have a 2015 M235 x-Drive with a staggered MPSS set-up. I only did a few things over the years: OEM CF bits: mirrors, rear spoiler, full CF interior trim - all for aesthetics. And a MPE to get better sound. Almost 6 years and 60k miles later, the car is still great. In fairness, I got a Z4 M40i in 2019 as fun car to join it.
      03-29-2021, 05:30 PM   #20
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Been reading these forums for 2 years, surprised more folks dont replace the upper thrush arm bushings to Powerflex. Not sure its a game changer but a nice difference in steering and feel.

Its not my favorite mod, but I can't imagine not switching out those mushy bushings.

(sorry seems like folks complain a lot about)
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2021, 05:44 PM   #21
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
I've owned my M240i since September '17. I still get a thrill when I open the door to the garage and I see him (his name is Gerhardt) sitting there.

OP, get in the car and drive it like it's supposed to be driven. 15 minute trips are horrible for the car.
Appreciate 1
E46ZHP254.00
      03-29-2021, 06:07 PM   #22
mattc1176
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 m240i

The issue I run into is what other car in it's price range gets you the same mix of luxury/performance and 6MT? That's why I'm on my 2nd 2-series now. Not a muscle car guy so Cayman is the only thing in the same realm, but that's $75k+ when all is said and done. Waiting to see what the next Z or STI has to offer.
Appreciate 1