THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning MHD Vs. Mission Performance

05-11-2020, 12:38 AM   #23
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
I thought the flames were cool. Sure. Not gonna deny that.

Burble tunes are a popular feature on both, but we can also ignore that.

I also mentioned the performance aspects multiple times(transmission particularly), but if the only thing you saw was flame tune, feel free to vilify me, b58togo.
Something I forgot to mention, the BM3 platform allows for license transfer to your new car. You can also buy a used BM3 license. This is quite practical if you change your cars every 2 or 3 years. MHD doesn't allow that last I checked.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 12:45 PM   #24
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

I’ll have you know, I wear the bmw driving shoes to match my driving gloves
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 01:04 PM   #25
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
...but the points about MHD having linear throttle mapping, and the XHP tune compatibility (for when you hit transmission torque limits) sound like an overall winner to me...
These are key points for me as well and why I'm leaning toward going with MHD/xHP over BM3 when my factory warranty expires in December.
Lack of an iOS app is not an issue for me because I use Android devices.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 04:13 PM   #26
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
Quote:
...but the points about MHD having linear throttle mapping, and the XHP tune compatibility (for when you hit transmission torque limits) sound like an overall winner to me...
These are key points for me as well and why I'm leaning toward going with MHD/xHP over BM3 when my factory warranty expires in December.
A question for both you and AleksanderSuave, does any of this xHP/MHD partnership matter if one is going for a custom tune? Aren't these benefits only applicable when we are talking about OTS tunes?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 04:46 PM   #27
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The ios app should be live today/tomorrow at this point. They said 2/3 of their apps got approved, one was denied due to using the same image..so they sent it for reapproval today.

app store approval is typically under 24 hours.

I for one..cannot wait. my downpipe should be here tonight. Flashing connector is already here as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 05:07 PM   #28
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
A question for both you and AleksanderSuave, does any of this xHP/MHD partnership matter if one is going for a custom tune? Aren't these benefits only applicable when we are talking about OTS tunes?
I will most likely use an OTS tune, so the availability of a custom tune is not a key factor for me.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 05:54 PM   #29
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The ios app should be live today/tomorrow at this point. They said 2/3 of their apps got approved, one was denied due to using the same image..so they sent it for reapproval today.

app store approval is typically under 24 hours.

I for one..cannot wait. my downpipe should be here tonight. Flashing connector is already here as well.
Are you installing the downpipe yourself?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 06:25 PM   #30
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, it should be easy enough, just need some decent weather as it’s in the 40s here still and snowed last night.

However, my shipment somehow got routed by fedex from Michigan, in a city 30 minutes away from where I live to, to Ohio...so no downpipe until hopefully tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 11:39 PM   #31
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, it should be easy enough, just need some decent weather as it's in the 40s here still and snowed last night.

However, my shipment somehow got routed by fedex from Michigan, in a city 30 minutes away from where I live to, to Ohio...so no downpipe until hopefully tomorrow.
I am sure you are looking at this but... are you looking at this?? Holy record breaking bat balls!!

And, on an OTS map!!!

MHD B58 ST2+HPFP OTS map results + New B58 gen1 stock turbo 1/4 World Record! https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1712149

On a separate note, are upgrading your fuel pump as well? Honestly, you absolutely should! It is a one man job as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 10:26 AM   #32
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am sure you are looking at this but... are you looking at this?? Holy record breaking bat balls!!

And, on an OTS map!!!

MHD B58 ST2+HPFP OTS map results + New B58 gen1 stock turbo 1/4 World Record! https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1712149

On a separate note, are upgrading your fuel pump as well? Honestly, you absolutely should! It is a one man job as well.
I saw that post in their Facebook group and that’s what sold me on the tune.

I just got done flashing stage 1...incredibly smoother performance than dinan.

Transmission no longer jerks when shifting.

Said f it and flashed stage 2. Wicked.

I’m gonna keep my eye out on the Supra HPFP or one from a g20, install looks easy enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 10:41 AM   #33
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

And, on an OTS map!!!

I saw that post in their Facebook group and that’s what sold me on the tune.

I just got done flashing stage 1...incredibly smoother performance than dinan.

Transmission no longer jerks when shifting.

Said f it and flashed stage 2. Wicked.

I’m gonna keep my eye out on the Supra HPFP or one from a g20, install looks easy enough.
I am on MHD as well now and will be getting a custom tune. Now Cary Jordan offers E30 mix tunes as well. I am a bit hesitant about the E30 mixing stuff. It seems a hassle but then again everyone says it is "soooo easy". Will you be going down that route? Do you carry that in your car all the time?

Worst of all, is there a smell from car when E30 is mixed with 93 gas? Again I have a convertible.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 11:00 AM   #34
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

I’m not interested in e30 or any ethanol blended setup TBH.

The idea of mixing gas and carrying mix in the trunk with you is completely opposite of daily driver for me.

I want to pull up to a gas station, refuel, and go. Not interested in using a calculator for this process or seeking out ethanol pumps.
Appreciate 1
Mehim76.50
      05-14-2020, 11:49 AM   #35
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I’m not interested in e30 or any ethanol blended setup TBH.

The idea of mixing gas and carrying mix in the trunk with you is completely opposite of daily driver for me.

I want to pull up to a gas station, refuel, and go. Not interested in using a calculator for this process or seeking out ethanol pumps.
Yup, thought so. Too much trouble for very little worth.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 12:17 PM   #36
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Are you also going the xHP route?

I haven’t tried it yet. Need to install the down pipe first
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 03:07 PM   #37
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Are you also going the xHP route?

I haven’t tried it yet. Need to install the down pipe first
Yes, so the plan always was to get xHP along with any custom tune I'd get and have the xHP settings be custom tuned as well.

Do it once, do it well. YOLO.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #38
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, so the plan always was to get xHP along with any custom tune I'd get and have the xHP settings be custom tuned as well.

If you do xHP before the custom tune let me know.

I’m considering trying it this weekend just not sure if I want to do stage 2 or stage 3
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 07:54 PM   #39
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

If you do xHP before the custom tune let me know.

I’m considering trying it this weekend just not sure if I want to do stage 2 or stage 3
Let me talk to my shop next week and inform you on what they were thinking on doing. All of this was ideally going to be done on the same day. Right after installing Pure 800 Turbos and the Akrapovic DP as well as the fuel pump.

Since this was going to be my daily driver I was planning on sticking with stage 2 for smoother shifts, but with the increased power delivery my shop even floated the idea of going straight with stage 3 (aggressive shifts in sport) and naturally more wear and tear on the transmission. They did say that if the car is not being tracked then stage 3 may be "too much for everyday driving" and "may hurt the transmission".
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 08:01 PM   #40
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Let me talk to my shop next week and inform you on what they were thinking on doing. All of this was ideally going to be done on the same day. Right after installing Pure 800 Turbos and the Akrapovic DP as well as the fuel pump.

Since this was going to be my daily driver I was planning on sticking with stage 2 for smoother shifts, but with the increased power delivery my shop even floated the idea of going straight with stage 3 (aggressive shifts in sport) and naturally more wear and tear on the transmission. They did say that if the car is not being tracked then stage 3 may be "too much for everyday driving" and "may hurt the transmission".
I had a feeling that was the case..likely gonna stick with stage 2. People in the bmw circles seem to love going straight to the “max” option, whether it’s the burble tune or the TCU, without considering daily driving.

I’m sure I’ll be more than happy with stage 2 xhp.

Gotta admit I’m Jealous about the turbo. You definitely need to record a sound clip after.

Which fuel pump did you decide on?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 08:25 PM   #41
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I had a feeling that was the case..likely gonna stick with stage 2. People in the bmw circles seem to love going straight to the "max" option, whether it's the burble tune or the TCU, without considering daily driving.

I'm sure I'll be more than happy with stage 2 xhp.

Gotta admit I'm Jealous about the turbo. You definitely need to record a sound clip after.

Which fuel pump did you decide on?
Dorsch Stage 2 haha! I went with the max option.

I haven't received it yet. Plus once the shop opens up I want them to order it so they can warranty the work as well. They don't warrant work for parts which they haven't ordered themselves. Fine, I will let them play ball.

Dude I am going with the nuclear option for this convertible haha I am hoping to hit close to 600 whp on pump 93

Edit: I must admit, despite my jokes of "600 WHP powaaaah!!!" I will be happy with a respectable 500 WHP, which frankly, is more than enough for a car that will never see the track. This is why I wanted AWD as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 12:31 PM   #42
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: customE50Tune

BM3

I have BM3. Love it so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 12:54 PM   #43
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I haven't received it yet. Plus once the shop opens up I want them to order it so they can warranty the work as well. They don't warrant work for parts which they haven't ordered themselves. Fine, I will let them play ball.

Dude I am going with the nuclear option for this convertible haha I am hoping to hit close to 600 whp on pump 93

Edit: I must admit, despite my jokes of "600 WHP powaaaah!!!" I will be happy with a respectable 500 WHP, which frankly, is more than enough for a car that will never see the track. This is why I wanted AWD as well.
I’m thinking just the b58tu/Supra pump. However...if prices stay high I will be going Dorch or xdi. Are you going with dorch stage 1 or 2?

The problem is, anything other than the b58tu pump will naturally necessitate a turbo upgrade as well, for maximum smiles per gallon.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #44
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm thinking just the b58tu/Supra pump. However...if prices stay high I will be going Dorch or xdi. Are you going with dorch stage 1 or 2?

The problem is, anything other than the b58tu pump will naturally necessitate a turbo upgrade as well, for maximum smiles per gallon.
I am going with Dorsch stage 2

The problem with the B58TU pump was simple: in my head it is *only* $400 cheaper than a Dorsch Stage 2 (at least at the time), and... call it crazy, but if I am upgrading turbos then makes intuitive sense to upgrade the fuel pump as well. I mean, the stock B58TU pump, for what it is worth, is great for "stock stuff"; I want to keep the options open and when you are upgrading something as crucial as the turbo to a stage 2 setup then it makes sense to for a 3rd party professionally done fuel pump set up. I will absolutely not rely on the B58TU pump after turbo upgrades.

And, again, only a $400 difference. No brainer.

Given our specific B58 engines, I just think a fuel pump upgrade should be just as crucial as the charge pipe upgrade with the N55. If anything should be done before anything else, even a DP.

Believe me, I am running on intuition. No logic here haha

Oh, oh! And go with Stage 2 Dorsch. The Stage 1 has noise dampening issues and you can hear the stupid thing whine whine whiiiine. There is a thread going on about this in the F30 forums and people are changing g their orders.
Appreciate 0