THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2 series owners, need you opinions!!!

03-14-2020, 03:49 PM   #23
FCBuff
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '16 M235I XDrive

great cars. If only 15% will have back seat passengers, no problem. Tell that whiney b*tch who's 328 is too loud to go drive a Lexus
3-4 hour road trip? you'll want to do 6-8 hours!
      03-14-2020, 03:59 PM   #24
staticcornflake
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

I'm also 6'1" and have been using my 228i as a daily for 6 months. Work commute is about 20 minutes of stop and go traffic, but I've also done some 4+ hour trips with one person in the back, and a lot of shorter trips around town with the car full.

As others have said getting yourself into the back is the biggest maneuver, but when back there the front seats have these little indentations for your knees on the back that actually buy a bit of space for the rear legroom as well. I do wish there was a center console in the back vs. the useless little plastic cutout area.

I've owned smaller cars (S2000) and larger (Explorers) and I find this car super comfortable, especially with the sport seats. I'm never fatigued and the trunk space is actually pretty great for how small the car looks from the outside. It's basically a sedan trunk.

Road noise can be noticeable in LA but I attribute that more to the crappy roads and the factory RFT's that I'm still on, I plan on going to MPSS's whenever these wear out.

Also random thought, my dealer (and the internet) told me that I'd be curbing my wheels all the time and blowing RFT's in potholes and after 6 months I still haven't...

If you can find one, I'd look for the THP. I didn't know about that when I got my car, but my biggest complaint is the floaty suspension, THP gives you adjustable through the driving modes.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 09:33 AM   #25
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
I swapped my 330d xDrive Touring for an M235i Convertible in 2016 and have been very happy with the decision, particularly that it hasn't proved a problem switching from a station wagon a lot of glass and panoramic sunroof to a soft-top convertible with only a small rear window.

I think you really do need the reversing camera on a convertible, and although you could do without it on a coupé it'd still be desirable.

We've carried adults in the rear on longer journeys with no issue. OK, it's not like the back of the 3 Touring but that's not my problem: if they want a lift, they deal with it. TBH I found that the 3 Touring meant giving lifts became self-fulfilling, especially at work - I always got volunteered to ferry customers and colleagues around. And now the kids just have to hire something for the day if they really need to transport furniture etc.

Space-wise, we found it fine for the two of us driving to skiing in the Alps and this summer, we spent 4 weeks on a road trip 'round the Alps carrying luggage, hiking equipment, a portable refrigerator, food and clothes, all with the top down.

I have the heated sports electric seats with lumbar support and this combination makes it the most comfortable car that I've had for longer journeys and commutes.

You'll have to decide whether the 4 or 6 cylinder engine is best for you: try both out and see is my advice. There's a lot of buyers' confirmation bias on both sides, I think.

Finally, the biggest surprise is the convertible-ness. I drive a lot more with the top down than I expected. Particularly in spring and autumn. It transforms a lot of what would otherwise be tedious journeys into much more enjoyable trips.

Last edited by msej449; 03-15-2020 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #26
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

As others have said, the back seat is surprisingly good considering the size of the car. Honestly, it’s a very well packaged vehicle. A mustang is significantly bigger on the outside, but has less space in back, all while not having to deal with the packaging constraints of offering an in-line 6.

As a city dweller, having a true coupe that’s this well thought out feels like cheating somehow.

I’m 5’8” and I feel like I fit in the back behind my seating position with absolutely no complaints. If I were taller, it might feel a little cramped, but for people our height I think it’s great.

Personally, I think all three trim levels are awesome. the four banger cars provide that classic sports coupe experience, quick, refined and tossable, while the 235/240 cars are kind of sleepers, adding so much straight line performance to what was never a slow car. And the M2 is a purpose built hooligan that somehow works with, rather than against its drivers. I’d happily own any of them.

Last edited by Moflow; 03-15-2020 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 09:30 PM   #27
morriscat
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F22

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
You'll have to decide whether the 4 or 6 cylinder engine is best for you: try both out and see is my advice. There's a lot of buyers' confirmation bias on both sides, I think.
I don't really think there's a wrong answer there. I wound up with the I4 because that was the only thing in my price range with a manual, and I'm not sad about it. The extra oomph from an I6 would be nice when I'm merging, but the rest of the time the 4cyl is plenty.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 05:51 AM   #28
robinjamess
Registered
Rep
Drives: bhw a4

Quote:
Originally Posted by viniebenet3 View Post
I'm a single guy and was looking at a good beemer to use as a daily driver. The 228i has got me very interested, and I need opinions of the current owners before I hop into a dealership to check it out.
These are the things I need an opinion on:

Space : I know it's a smaller car, and 85% of the time it's just gonna be me. But for the 15% of the time when I need to haul couple of friends (not tall, below 5'9"), how feasible is it? Would it be a huge PITA for a 2-3 hour road trip with frequent breaks?
2.Cabin noise : I asked for a 328i owner's opinion and he told me that the loaner 228i he got was was unbearably loud. Is it true?

Any other pros/cons I need to consider

https://www.tcswebmail.info/ https://www.dadeschools.one/ https://www.upsers.fyi/

Well, test drove one and also had a M235i for a loaner car for 2 days, and also been in one around the track so take what you will from it.

You will NOT be able to fit a person in the back seat if you like to sit in the drivers/passengers seat with your leg extended. I'm 5'8" and While I can fit my friends in there (5'3-5'10), they won't be too comfortable if the person in front is anything over like 5'6". My normal seating position pretty much chops someone's leg off in the back regardless of their height. it's feasible to do the long road trip, but you won't be in the best driving position and your friends in the back will still be uncomfortable.

Cabin Noise: It is a good bit louder than a 3 series, it's not unbearable, but it can get annoying on a long road trip. (music helps out a lot)

You'll have more fun driving a 2 series than you'll ever have in a 3 series. And please get the Harmon Kardon (or whatever they call it now) sound system upgrade and M sport package/track handling package for the suspension. The non sport suspension is trash and too soft for even spirited driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 07:29 AM   #29
cristo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscat View Post
I don't really think there's a wrong answer there. I wound up with the I4 because that was the only thing in my price range with a manual, and I'm not sad about it. The extra oomph from an I6 would be nice when I'm merging, but the rest of the time the 4cyl is plenty.
We got the I6 (2020 M240i convertible),
partly because the 230i vert isn’t made
with a manual transmission, and the
m240i is. Absolutely no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 11:01 PM   #30
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Of note - my 228i on Dinan shockware/springs, and even so, I would consider it really smooth/comfortable and it is really quite quiet - the main points is that I got the Track Handling Package (2015 model year) which had Michelin Pilot Super Sports instead of the standard runflats, and I also installed some OEM foam insert in the front doorjam, that Sportstick found the part number for.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 10:08 AM   #31
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
As others have said, the back seat is surprisingly good considering the size of the car. Honestly, it’s a very well packaged vehicle. A mustang is significantly bigger on the outside, but has less space in back, all while not having to deal with the packaging constraints of offering an in-line 6.

As a city dweller, having a true coupe that’s this well thought out feels like cheating somehow.

I’m 5’8” and I feel like I fit in the back behind my seating position with absolutely no complaints. If I were taller, it might feel a little cramped, but for people our height I think it’s great.

Personally, I think all three trim levels are awesome. the four banger cars provide that classic sports coupe experience, quick, refined and tossable, while the 235/240 cars are kind of sleepers, adding so much straight line performance to what was never a slow car. And the M2 is a purpose built hooligan that somehow works with, rather than against its drivers. I’d happily own any of them.
Backseat is for insurance purposes only; however, the M228/235 are awesome daily drivers. They are good on road trips too. You will enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 11:27 AM   #32
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
The backseat is not easy to get into, but once seated, it is quite comfortable, as long as the person in front does not need/want to have the seat all the way back.
Admittedly, though, I am the only one willing to sit back there.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50